Honored Contributor

CONCERNED ABOUT CHILDRENS’ MENTAL HEALTH

[ Edited ]

Reports have said there's a large percentage of kids showing signs of depression, anxiety and "acting out". Numbers are expected to increase as they're kept away from friends, normal social interactions, activities and fear of Covid.

Well, uh huh! Don't have to be a child psychologist to know that would be coming. I'm concerned about what issues will be present in them in the future.

Are you noticing any questions or actions in your children or grandchildren that are disconcerting?

Honored Contributor

Re: CONCERNED ABOUT CHILDRENS’ MENTAL HEALTH

I don't know too many adults who are on top of the world either...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

Wow I went to bed last night worried how chidren are going to be affected not only now but also in the future. It is a very scary world out there right now and things seem to be getting more out of control. I have three grandchildren two 13years and one 16 year old. The 16 year old does not want to get her drivers license which is fine with me, but that to me is unusual but still ok with me. Kids are having to live in a very different world and We really should be more aware than ever. So for me I am very worried.

Respected Contributor

My 10 year old grand daughter is having trouble sleeping.  Stays up and she is worried about covid.    We talk for one and make sure we get out in the fresh air and make sure we change things up.  She comes over and stays every so often but I am still working.  My daughter got laid off.

Honored Contributor

@222333   When I speak to my GDs or have FaceTime, I always bring it up in a gentle, caring way and let them vent. I'm sure my DS & DIL are sensitive to their problems, but sometimes someone not living in the house w/ a little more patience, at this point, is a good listener. 

The 11 yr. old was looking forward to middle school which looks like won't be happening any time soon. She had purchased her lock and made tassels for the inside of her locker and decorated a mirror to hang inside for gloss repairs. Little things become more important. The 8 yr. old is concerned she won't learn to read as well or as fast as her sister or be able to practice her Spanish since both parents took French throughout school. There is a lot on their minds they need to talk out and be reassured. 

Valued Contributor

yup, absolutely, this is having an adverse effect on my kids, more-so my 11 year old son than my 8 year old daughter. Both my husband and I work full time, and thankfully, he is able to work from home. However, he cannot keep the kids occupied 100% of his work day, so we allow them to watch tv/be on technology. We limit 'screen time' to 2 hours a day and try our best to meet their needs. They miss their friends, their sports, the social outings they used to do. I told my kids there probably won't be school in the fall and surprisingly, they were sad and disappointed. 

Respected Contributor

The harm -- social, emotional, and intellectual -- being done to kids by keeping them out of school is unconscionable.  The younger the children, the less likely they are to get the virus, or to spread it.  That's what the science tells us -- according to the CDC, the NIH, hospital intake/recovery records across the country, and the experience of schools throughout Europe and Scandinavia. Private schools of every kind in the U.S. increasingly acknowledge this, putting hard data over lockdown ideology and making needed social-distancing and health-protective adjustments for older kids and for teachers younger than 60, so that kids of all ages can learn safely and steadily.  Flexibility and accommodation are what's called for, not the one-size-fits-all mentality of the science-deniers, which cripples children even more than it does their parents.

Honored Contributor

As a former teacher whom held several high school students during panic attacks, this has been a concern of mine from the beginning.  

As a child, I remember the discussion of there "had been" air raids and such, plus, our grand parents, uncles, and aunts, had fought in one or two world wars plus what came after.  I was terrified as a 6 -10 year old.

The stresser was never "next door" though.

I am highly concerned about this, which seems bigger than anything we have dealt with.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus 

I am very concerned about my 7 grandchildren all living in CA ranging in age from 17 to 6.

They go to private schools; however, everything was online beginning as soon as the COVID crisis began.

NONE of these kids, despite their best efforts (and their parents' efforts) got the level of instruction and/or social interaction that would enhance their intellectual and/or emotional development to the level they need.

Valued Contributor

My 3 Grandchildren, 18, 17, 15. Were all homeschooled. They are very intelligent, polite, well behaved and well adjusted. The two girls have transitioned into public school, were inducted in the honor society and love public school, now that they attend. They have been quarantined like others in this country, have excellent study habits. Mostly miss the interaction with their friends, but are doing GREAT. No mental health problems.