Honored Contributor

Re: COLD.... ICE AND RAIN....AGAIN!!!

It's February girls! Of course there is ice and cold! This winter my dh and I are making the best of it. We have up to 21" of snow right now and we still do our daily 3-mile walk. We dress like eskimos and off we go! We've lost 56 lbs so far between the two of us! I feel so much better getting outdoors! I'm so invigorated! Instead of sitting in the house complaining, get out and do something!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   Talc came under fire years ago as a carcinogen for possible cancer in the uterus. Women did use it for bath powder. Most women stopped using talc in body powder and many powders removed it. I know other brands exchanged talc for cornstarch, but have always trusted J&J...other drugstore baby powders say 'cornstarch" or no talc on the labels. In a pinch, I've used plain old cornstarch from the kitchen. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ID2   NC doesn't usually have this much bad winter  weather. Think it's time to order to order some proper waterproof boots, warmer coat, ski type hat, etc. so I can also walk outside...not in the rain, but a little snow wouldn't stop me.

Of course, Molly refuses to go. We have our hands full just getting her out of her doggie door when snow's on the ground. She must be thinking, "What the heck"? I can't walk her on ice. 

You and DH be careful out there and congrats on the weight loss...not easy! 

Honored Contributor

Our high is 2 below zero today. Plus snow.

Respected Contributor

ID2, that's amazing (walking in the snow and losing weight too); good for you!

I always wonder why big storms in the winter make the news. It's WINTER...so of course there's going to be bad weather. I live in western Washington which gets very little snow; and when we do, the locals laugh at how the news stations start covering it with the equivalent of Snowmaggedon.

Right now we have about an ENTIRE INCH on our deck so I guess we better get out our survival gear and stock up on firewood (we do tend to have power failures when it snows).

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Nonametoday   Talc came under fire years ago as a carcinogen for possible cancer in the uterus. Women did use it for bath powder. Most women stopped using talc in body powder and many powders removed it. I know other brands exchanged talc for cornstarch, but have always trusted J&J...other drugstore baby powders say 'cornstarch" or no talc on the labels. In a pinch, I've used plain old cornstarch from the kitchen. Smiley Happy

@Shanus 

Yes, I knew about the carcinogens caused from baby powder but I did not know that the substitute for the powdery substance was cornstarch.  Thank you for enlightening me.  Of all people, I should have known that.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

ID2, that's amazing (walking in the snow and losing weight too); good for you!

I always wonder why big storms in the winter make the news. It's WINTER...so of course there's going to be bad weather. I live in western Washington which gets very little snow; and when we do, the locals laugh at how the news stations start covering it with the equivalent of Snowmaggedon.

Right now we have about an ENTIRE INCH on our deck so I guess we better get out our survival gear and stock up on firewood (we do tend to have power failures when it snows).

I also live in Western Washington and I have fabulous neighbors that dug me out this morning (about 7 inches of snow) and made a trail to the mailbox and now it has started snowing again!

Contributor

It's not over yet! Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Our news stations still cover snow like it's snowmaggedon too. I live in the midwest and we always get a lot of snow every year - and we received double our usual this winter. You'd think the world was ending according to meteorologists around here.

It's the same thing with a tornado, big rainfall, thunderstorm, etc.

I think meteorologists like to play with their toys and hear themselves say the same thing 100 times.

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

It's February girls! Of course there is ice and cold! This winter my dh and I are making the best of it. We have up to 21" of snow right now and we still do our daily 3-mile walk. We dress like eskimos and off we go! We've lost 56 lbs so far between the two of us! I feel so much better getting outdoors! I'm so invigorated! Instead of sitting in the house complaining, get out and do something!

Good morning, @ID2 .  Congratulations to you and your husband for walking and losing weight. I go for a walk every day, too. I typically walk for 3-4 miles and layer my clothes for warmth. Looking forward to walking in the spring and having less layers and more daylight. 🌞