Esteemed Contributor

COIN in the freezer...helpful tip...

A friend emailed this tip, and I thought I'd pass it on (y'all have probably heard of it...I'm always the last to know lol)...

If you've ever returned home to flashing clocks, you know the power went out...but for how long?  Did the food in your freezer thaw partially or completely or not at all?   Here's a way to know for sure...

Fill a small plastic container (or any type of container) with water and put in freezer.   Once it freezes, place a coin on top and put it back in freezer.  If you suspect your power went out, check the coin...if it's in the middle of the container, partial thawing occurred.  If it's at the bottom...well, you might want to consider tossing everything in your freezer.

Why didn't I think of that??!?

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

Re: COIN in the freezer...helpful tip...

Genius!

I'm surprised no one is selling a "freezer coin" and a specially marked plastic bag for the low price of $19,99,   Someone would buy it!

Respected Contributor

You should run to the patent office !!!!

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Genius!

I'm surprised no one is selling a "freezer coin" and a specially marked plastic bag for the low price of $19,99,   Someone would buy it!

On subscribe and save, too, because you're going to need a new one every three months. I don't know why, but I'm sure Amazon does.

Trusted Contributor

I've read this and mentioned it to my husband the other day, when our power went out.  Then I forgot to do it once the power came back.

Thanks for the reminder!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

Genius!

On subscribe and save, too, because you're going to need a new one every three months. I don't know why, but I'm sure Amazon does.

Excellent idea! I do love the idea of peddling them as designer coins for the freezer. What great holiday gifts they'd make for your manicurist, your hairdresser, your children's teachers, the train conductor and your trash collectors.

And don't forget to buy a few to stow in your gift drawer!!

PS the coin IS a great idea, humor nonwithstanding.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Now don't forget everyone to use a lock & lock container!

Esteemed Contributor

The tip that I heard to determine if your food is safe to eat after the power has gone out is, take a plastic water bottle, and put a few drops of food coloring in, and freeze it on its side.

After it is frozen, set it upright, and if the power has been out for any legnth of time, the thawed water will have melted.

Easy-peasy, and best of all, it's free!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

I thought you were going to say to take the coin out of the freezer and use it for firming up the eye area. LOL

Respected Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

I thought you were going to say to take the coin out of the freezer and use it for firming up the eye area. LOL

That is such a great selling point.  Dual purpose.   I think the price

went up from $19.99 to $29.99 (but we'll also throw in free shipping)