Trusted Contributor

Re: CLEANING UP FOR CLEANING LADY

[ Edited ]

What is the point of paying a cleaning service if they won't do any deep cleaning?  Unless one has physical limitations, that is.

I don't mean that judgmentally, just wondering.  I have thought about hiring a cleaning service once or twice for something like windows or high cleaning because I shouldn't be on a ladder with my bone issues. but this thread tells me that they won't do these jobs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover wrote:

What is the point of paying a cleaning service if they won't do any deep cleaning?  Unless one has physical limitations, that is.

I don't mean that judgmentally, just wondering.  I have thought about hiring a cleaning service once or twice for something like windows or high cleaning because I shouldn't be on a ladder with my bone issues. but this thread tells me that they won't do these jobs.

@PilatesLover :  Of course they do deep cleaning.  Initially I hired them to do a thorough "deep clean" of my home, baseboards, ceiling fans, move furniture, dust behind everything.  I mean they touched everything in my house.  After that, they come in to maintain that level of cleanliness.  You can specify what you want done and someone will do only that.  They always change the sheets on the bed for me and will fold any laundry that I forgot to fold and put up.  They are in and out of my house in @2-3 hour depending on how many come on cleaning day.  They are wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I am SO horrified and sorry dear friend.

I have only had an antique plate that was displayed on a marble table top get broken in half.  I was able to repair it 30 years ago.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

@PilatesLover   I don't think I ever said they don't do a good, deep cleaning. They get the blinds, grout in tubs, showers, tile floors, any webs on skylights or bulbs 18' high on a ladder, etc. They also do quite a good scrub job in the kitchen

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I have only had an antique plate that was displayed on a marble table top get broken in half.  I was able to repair it 30 years ago.Smiley Happy

@ECBG   Yes, well **** happens, but still better than my climbing ladders and scrubbing floors at my age. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG   Yes, well **** happens, but still better than my climbing ladders and scrubbing floors at my age. 

@Shanus You know it, although I do climb a wonderfully sturdy ladder at work occasionally.

We don't have cathedrial ceilings.  I get too darn cold!Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus You know it, although I do climb a wonderfully sturdy ladder at work occasionally.

We don't have cathedrial ceilings.  I get too darn cold!Woman Embarassed

@ECBG  A snuggly cardigan and a throw, My Dear!! 

Trusted Contributor

I live with my 93 year old mother who has dementia and congestive heart failure. Taking care of her, managing the household, and working leaves me little time or energy for housecleaning.

I have cleaning ladies (team of 2) come every two weeks. I always scramble around the morning of their arrival to tidy up -- straighten the kitchen and my desk, clean the toilets, make the beds.

They do not make beds, wash windows, clean light fixtures, or get on ladders. They are great for the basics of floor care, dusting, cleaning blinds, cleaning kitchen and bathrooms - those are services of greatest need for me.

But yes, I do a little cleaning in advance of their visit!

Honored Contributor

Sure I do "tidy up" before they come (every 2 weeks).  It's never messy, so I just like I said, tidy up - pick up loose change on the counter, put away a pot holder, collect the dog toys and put in her basket, etc.  Minimal.

O/T - someone mentioned a 5 hour clean every week?  Never heard of that.  I've heard of (and had) a multiple-hour initial "deep clean" when starting service, but 5 hours each week?  I guess I just don't need that much done.  2 hours probably.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs   It sure sounds like you have so much on your plate. I'm glad you at least have some help cleaning house.  That must be a little relief for you.