Esteemed Contributor

Re: CLEANING UP FOR CLEANING LADY

I'm between having a cleaning lady right now, but when I did I always put away things that didn't need to be setting out - like shoes or things on the bathroom vanities. I did that the morning before she arrived, but I never did any actual cleaning. Oh how I miss my cleaning lady!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter was a certified house cleaner several years ago. The only thing that was expected of their clients was that the clutter be picked up from the floors & any nasty messes such as pet accident, blood, diarrhea, etc be cleaned up by the homeowner (renter)  so the girls (guys?) could get in, clean, & get out. They were assigned multiple houses in one day so they didn't have time to fool around. If the floor wasn't picked up, or disgusting messes cleaned up, that particular room wasn't cleaned that visit. Quite a few of the clients didn't like it, it was pointed out to them by the cleaning company owner that it was clearly specified in the contract that they'd signed. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shanus Darlin', I have a cleaning lady and I do the same thing!

For the others of you, these cleaning people don't put things up.  They slide things around and polish under them if you left them out.

Do they know where to find clean sheets?  Or do they search your house?  I prefer to put the sheets out.

It's easier to clean a clear surface than move a lot of bottles in the bachroom!

Actually, @Shanus It depends on how much I've been able to do in the past days.  Did the "catch all"  table get cleared off?  They polish it, not put things up!  They CLEAN.  Period.

I come home to a clean (courtesy of my "angels") house, and all the "stuff is put up, courtesy of ME!!!!!Smiley Happy

TOTALLY understand!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, I can relate but that is how I'm made.  DH says the same thing to me.  Oh well.

Honored Contributor

IF I had a cleaning lady, I'd straighten things up and lightly clean the bathroom. However, the actual cleaning would be left to the professional.

Honored Contributor

I think straightening up and cleaning are two different things. The lady who cleaned my house for years when I was working did both, but with just two of us living here there want much to do. I don’t use her anymore but even when she did, I always cleaned by bathrooms after she did. Can never have bathrooms clean enough for me.
Respected Contributor

I like to clean (don't judge me) my only problem is getting on a ladder which I refuse. I need to get someone out to clean my blinds. I live in a ranch style house (1 level) makes cleaning windows easy. My daughter is the surface cleaner, mops & runs vacum never dusts. If I have to watch her dog I go over & clean her house when she goes on vacation. It's a small townhouse, I tell her, you need to scrub & get into corners, it's the details. I can understand cleaning before cleaning lady comes also if I go to the hairdresser, I shampoo my hair before going. It depends on your lifestyle, we are retired now & I have the time plus we are fairly neat people.  

Honored Contributor

I dont have a cleaning lady but when I moved I cleaned some things up before I had a lady come in to clean before I turned in the key Smiley Happy  Wanted things to be neat and somewhat clean lol. Seems silly though but I would do it again Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus Darlin', I have a cleaning lady and I do the same thing!

For the others of you, these cleaning people don't put things up.  They slide things around and polish under them if you left them out.

Do they know where to find clean sheets?  Or do they search your house?  I prefer to put the sheets out.

It's easier to clean a clear surface than move a lot of bottles in the bachroom!

Actually, @Shanus It depends on how much I've been able to do in the past days.  Did the "catch all"  table get cleared off?  They polish it, not put things up!  They CLEAN.  Period.

I come home to a clean (courtesy of my "angels") house, and all the "stuff is put up, courtesy of ME!!!!!Smiley Happy

TOTALLY understand!  Smiley Happy

@ECBG   I left the sheets out only once. My bed looked like it had been made by 3 year olds. No thanks. I'll change linens  myself and definitely no laundry for them to do. Come to think of it, they have an easy few hours of work.

Oh...breakage? That's another reason I put things away. Over the years, crystal candlesticks have hit the floor, one of a collection of 16 different clear glass oil lights w/ wicks (they surround my jacuzzi)...that hurt...collected from a glass blower over the 50 years we've been married.

Honored Contributor

I'm with your husband, are you nuts? LOL   Honestly, that makes absolutely no sense at all.  I admit when we first hired a cleaning lady, I did clean up before she arrived but after a while, it kicked in that I was paying the woman to clean because I didn't want to....so I should let her do her job.  That was several years ago, she comes in once a week now and it's just hubby and me.  I do not "pre clean" and I usually have a "project" for her because she's contracted  for 5 hours.