Honored Contributor

CLEANING UP FOR CLEANING LADY

Oh wow! No kids living here, so no toys laying around. I keep my dishes done (or in dishwasher), bathrooms are never disgusting & clothes in the hamper. I have to live here between her twice a month visits. I even vacuum dog hair on alternate weeks. 

The night before she comes, I'm running around making sure everything's tidy for her and the two ladies that clean w/ her. DH walked by and said, "Are you nuts? You DO realize you're cleaning for the cleaning people we're paying to clean."

Anyone else feel obligated to do this? 

Honored Contributor

Re: CLEANING UP FOR CLEANING LADY

@Shanus   I don't currently have a cleaning lady but if I did you can be sure I would be picking up things and straightening up.  Everyone that I know who has one does so but it still sounds funny!

Trusted Contributor

I do pick up as that way she can focus on actual cleaning. I think this is not, cleaning really---but straightening up!

HeartHeartHeart

Contributor

Yes!  I always picked up every thing and made sure the kitchen and bathrooms were not too bad.  Especially the bathrooms.    

Esteemed Contributor

I have to pick up things and clean the house on alternate weeks. The week I have the maid I do things she doesn't, like deep cleaning. 
 I always make my bed and change it. 
  That way she can clean better!

Honored Contributor

Oh thank God I'm not nuts. I may relate replies to DH. Lol

Esteemed Contributor

My experience in hiring cleaning ladies with excellent reputations  to clean rental properties that I had refurbished was that  on two different occassions on 2 different properties  , the cleaning ladies just wanted to do the fluff work of just vacuming or dusting .  When they cleaned the windows , they only cleaned the glass and neglected  cleaning the dirty outside window sills .

I ended up doing the cleaning myself so that I could sell the two properties .

Honored Contributor

I call what I do before the cleaners come organization, not cleaning but I always do it.  

Best thing that ever happened when I didn't occurred way back in the 1960's.  I'd been making a dress between visits and was having trouble setting a sleeve.  I didn't even know my cleaning woman knew sewing, but for some reason I left the machine up and the dress hanging outside the closet door.

When I got home that evening, the house was clean AND the dress was finished except for the hem!  I love coming home to a house fully organized and clean, but nothing has ever topped that experience.

Super Contributor

I don't have a cleaning lady.  But my 94 yr. old mother does & she cleans the day before the ladies come to clean.  The cleaning ladies have asked me why mom has them clean, as the house is always spotless.  

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I call what I do before the cleaners come organization, not cleaning but I always do it.  

Best thing that ever happened when I didn't occurred way back in the 1960's.  I'd been making a dress between visits and was having trouble setting a sleeve.  I didn't even know my cleaning woman knew sewing, but for some reason I left the machine up and the dress hanging outside the closet door.

When I got home that evening, the house was clean AND the dress was finished except for the hem!  I love coming home to a house fully organized and clean, but nothing has ever topped that experience.

@millieshops   Now that IS above and beyond!