Esteemed Contributor

Re: CCRC Senior Living -- Personal Pros/Cons Experience

My parents self insured and stayed in their home for fourteen years after my mother had a stroke ( within 2 years my dad had Parkinsons).  I was their exectutrix and managed everything from across the country. They had 3 caregivers who gave 24/365 care.  After dad passed I moved my mom to my hometown, A care facility, private room and a hired companion.  After that experience ( which worked well and was very expensive) DH and I got LTC insurance ( 18 years ago).  Its a very good policy and now costs $2800 each annually but its a priority for us as obviously good care in a facility today would bankrupt us if we survived much more than a year.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CCRC Senior Living -- Personal Pros/Cons Experience

[ Edited ]

My husband and I toured the excellent CCRC facility in our town a few years ago. We looked at each other and both knew it wasn't for us. One of our good friends lives there and at the beginning she sang its praises, especially when her husband was in the final stage of Alzheimer's disease. Now she's not so sure. The ambulance sirens and residents' illnesses have become depressing to her. I think the isolation that Covid created also got her down.

When my husband started showing signs of cognitive impairment I started making my plans. We already had been purchasing Long Term Care insurance for decades. We hired an aide who lived in so that my husband could remain at home. Then he had a stroke. I suddenly realized that his disabilities made it absolutely impossible for him to be cared for at home. He will never come home. He needs acute care from strong and knowledgeable people. We were very fortunate to find an excellent assisted living/skilled nursing care facility that looks more like a B&B than a care facility. There is daily entertainment and the food is terrific. Staff are patient, competent, and kind.  I am paying a fortune, part of which is covered by Long Term Care insurance. My husband is receiving excellent care. I visit every day but I can still live at home. It works for us.