Honored Contributor

Re: CCRC Senior Living -- Personal Pros/Cons Experience

What happens if one of these places goes out of business or just doesn't have the resources to live up to its promises to residents?  If we have learned anything in recent years it's that change is the only constant.  I don't think I could put my trust in business arrangement like that unless I had enough savings or resources to care for myself if something went wrong.  

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Boy did I get an eye opening experience this morning...

A former senior living community just hit the local real estate market. It's vacant. 

Contract or not girl, you're renting from a landlord. 

True.  It's a business arrangement.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Some of us will be destitute from paying for long-term care for parents.

@Sooner   Yes, it's fairly expensive, but my folks purchased their own when in their 60's and we bought our policy decades ago.

@Shanus You are fortunate you had the ability to do that. Fairly expensive?  For us it is way more than. Like with all the relatives pensions and benefits and veterans, then half of my retirement expensive.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

What happens if one of these places goes out of business or just doesn't have the resources to live up to its promises to residents?  If we have learned anything in recent years it's that change is the only constant.  I don't think I could put my trust in business arrangement like that unless I had enough savings or resources to care for myself if something went wrong.  

That's exactly what happened to my SIL.  She was in a facility that was not for profit with reasonable costs.  They went bankrupt after being in business for over 100 years.  Taken over by a for profit whose costs were far more.  My SIL died before the deal was completed but I sometimes think about those residents who were still in the facility and wonder what happened to them.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

At one time we seriously considered a "life care community."  But for various reasons we changed our mind.  Now, I might consider one if I were alone and elderly or was in poor health.  Be aware that in addition to the hefty entrance fee, the monthly fee will go up every year as will the fee if assisted living or nursing home care is required.  

The biggest benefit, IMO, is the access to specialized care if needed.  Otherwise, staying in our present home is, for us, a much better option.

Just an addition--at the start of the pandemic I know for a fact that the residents of a live care community that we were considering were in quarantine and were not allowed to leave their apartments for weeks.  Meals were delivered to them and there were many restrictions on their movements.  I would not have been a happy camper--LOL!!!

I know this was during covid @kaydee50  It is also standard practice in long term care facilities when there is a flu outbreak, scabies, lice, or any gastrointestinal virus. I worked in these buildings, and they can be quarantined for weeks at a time. Months if necessary.  It goes by the numbers. If a certain percentage have the active virus they shut down. 

Esteemed Contributor

Keep in mind that if you get to the level needing  skilled care, and they don't have a bed you can get routed to a different facility. They can't guarantee there will be an open bed. 

Make sure you read the fine print. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Solar Is My Name What ever you do PLEASE research each Community carefully.

My Mom was determined to go to one Senior Living community. It was very nice. It had independent apartments, assisted living apartments and a nursing home. My Mom bounced from her assisted living apartment and the nursing home. She wanted a private phone and had to keep her assisted living apartment for the phone. So my parents ended up paying for her assisted living apartment, her nursing home room (she insisted on have a private room) and my Dad's nursing home room. 

Also, she insisted that they also keep their house, just in case.

When the Senior community was originally built they had an "entrance fee". The entrance fee covered your monthly rent no matter where you were living in the complex.

A lady next to my Mom's apartment said that she paid $16,000 when the place first opened. And she had been living there for over 10 years. She was still in assisted living and was doing well health wise. She sure got her money's worth. This was 2003 - 2004.

But the Facility changed it's pricing before my Mom and Dad moved there. Guess too many residents like my Mom's neighbor. 

My Dad's sister bought long term care insurance. She developed alzheimer's. So she was placed in a nursing home. Unfortunately, her long term insurance ran out after awhile. And they ended up paying full fare for her in the nursing home even though they thought the long term care insurance would cover her care.

ALSO, PLEASE check your health insurance. My Dad had bought the best supplemental heath insurance. Until he had a stroke. Then Mom took over. She shopped price. The Facility did not accept my Mom and Dad's health insurance. So they were responsible for everything Medicare did not cover. By then neither were handling their bills. So they were billed for all their physical therapy, special air mattresses for their beds, oh the list goes on and on. It was about another $1,500/month (in 2003 and 2004). 

So be sure the facility will accept your heath insurance.

Trusted Contributor

@manny2 thanks for some things to think about. I appreciate it.

-Solar Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla Thank you so much for your thoughtful account and suggestions. I appreciate it.

-Solar Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I am single and have no children. I have a pension and social security. My plan is to stay as healthy as I can for as long as I can and save my money. Eventually I will hire a home aide to help me. If need be, I will resort to a reverse mortgage. My home is paid for. I hope to stay in my home until I die.

Personally, I'd rather go to a nursing home because you're very vunerable alone in that situation.

I read a lot of stories about home care workers stealing people blind and otherwise mistreating them. At least in a nursing home you aren't at the mercy of one or two people and you're not isolated. If you need help you can just scream...........