Valued Contributor

I have several pairs of Bombas socks and I love them; they're so soft and comfy. But I'm going to stop wearing them because I finally figured out why I've been slipping and falling: the socks.

I have old, slippery carpets on my 2 story house and my socks don't grip the carpet very well. Yesterday I took quite a spill down a flight of stairs. I could have been very damaged but thanks to my extensive experience, I know what to do so I came out of it farirly unscathed (here's what I learned: DON'T try to break your fall by going rigid. Unless it's a really dangerous situation, try to go as limp as you can raher than causing your body to slam into something like a cactus, freeway, busy street, etc.)

I was at the stop of the stairs, felt my feet start to slide out from under me, didn't try to break my fall. If I'd gone stiff, I could have been adly hurt.

I got lucky--my fooot is black and blue and sore but that's about as much damage as I sustained. Please do be careful--if your socks and or flooring has reach the end of its life, get rid of it. If that's beyond you budget, choose socks that aren't as slippery...and watch you step Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION!

I never wear socks for going up and down stairs. Always wear shoes, though, I guess you could fall wearing shoes, too. Maybe you can get the socks with the little grippy things on them. Glad you didn't get hurt too badly. Be careful.

Esteemed Contributor

Bombas sells the kind with the grippy things at the bottom.

Honored Contributor

My hardwood floors are beautiful and well maintained/refurbished, why is it the flooring, or lack of maintenance, at fault??

Slippery socks are just that, right? Slippery socks, no matter what surface?

Image result for nervous cat gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PuppyLoverBob666 @ I'm sorry you fell, but glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did. 

Honored Contributor

I hope you feel better soon. 

Great advice 👍 

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666   Glad you weren't seriously hurt.  Makes me very happy that we do not have stairs!

BTW, I hurt my foot awhile ago tripping over some wires.  My foot was black and blue and swollen and it turned out a bone in my foot is now misaligned.  Surgery was suggested but I did not chose to have it done.  I walk fine with a cane.

Stay safe!

Honored Contributor

I've found it's best to wear slippers around the house.  Mine have a rubber sole so they aren't slippery.

Esteemed Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 So sorry you fell but glad you are okay.  I  never heard anyone explain the best way to fall, but your method sounds reasonable.

Is Bombas the company that donates socks for every pair that you order?  If they are, I will never buy from them.  They must include the cost of that "donation" in everything they sell.  I like to decide who to donate to and don't want to be "forced" to donate by any company.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666   Once, I tripped on a mat at the top of the stairs by the door, so when I opened the door,  I went face down, about eight stairs until I was able to reach behind and to the side to grab the railing, at the foot of the stairs is concrete, so that could have been disatrous.  As usual, then, I was rushing, have since learned to slow down and be more careful of where my feet are going.

Lucky you weren't damaged.