Respected Contributor

Re: CAREGIVER’S DISCUSSION

@geezerette Little Debbie snack cakes!! My mom lived on Little Debbie honey buns.  Long before she got really sick, that was her everyday breakfast. We live in a small town, that didn't always keep them stocked. I would buy several boxes, when they had them. Mom ate 3 boxes in 2 days!! That's when I realized she didn't remember when she had eaten. I asked where they were, she had no idea I had even brought them there. 

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@geezerette Little Debbie snack cakes!! My mom lived on Little Debbie honey buns.  Long before she got really sick, that was her everyday breakfast. We live in a small town, that didn't always keep them stocked. I would buy several boxes, when they had them. Mom ate 3 boxes in 2 days!! That's when I realized she didn't remember when she had eaten. I asked where they were, she had no idea I had even brought them there. 

Wow, I know!  That was literally all my mother wanted to eat!  And she insisted that the Valentine’s Day ones were special.  We tried to explain they were the same kind as she had been getting, just in a different shape, but no way did she believe that.  So we’d buy extra during the season and freeze them, then give them to her at various times of the year.  She was always amazed and delighted we had found those “special” cakes.

Trusted Contributor

@LTT1  I live in DFW. Have you thought of using Vonlane? It's a luxury coach service between DFW and Austin/Houston - I think they even do San Antonio. Meals/snacks served by attendants, restroom, etc. Let someone else do the driving down I-35 and relax!

Esteemed Contributor

@YardlieThat is precisely the kind of baby monitor we had for mom. No camera. She wasn't able to control it in any way. Very simple from our end via sound only. Surprised those basic baby monitors are not available. Perhaps advertise for a good used one or check with Alzheimer's Assoc.? We donated mom's to the Alzheimer's Assoc. along with her walker, wheel chair, the phone, her electric recliner w/heat & vibration, shower chair, 100% cotton blankets, down throws and so much more. Good luck! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've skimmed over this thread.  It's a very serious topic, and I am a caregiver to my husband (now living in a long term care facility) and a distant caregiver to my parents (have siblings who live near them, involved in the day to day issues). 

I go to a weekly caregiver support group, which I consider my lifeline.  I may contribute to this thread at times, but usually at the end of the day, I go online for some light hearted conversation.   

All of us caregivers need to spend time doing good things for ourselves...we need to figure out what that is for us.  

My evenings are for relaxing....if I get into heavy issues at night (my time for being online)....I don't sleep well. 

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs

Thank you! I have never heard of this company and this might be a saving grace! Will check this out!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@YardlieThat is precisely the kind of baby monitor we had for mom. No camera. She wasn't able to control it in any way. Very simple from our end via sound only. Surprised those basic baby monitors are not available. Perhaps advertise for a good used one or check with Alzheimer's Assoc.? We donated mom's to the Alzheimer's Assoc. along with her walker, wheel chair, the phone, her electric recliner w/heat & vibration, shower chair, 100% cotton blankets, down throws and so much more. Good luck! 

Thanks, @BirkiLady ... We'll keep looking. That was great of you to donate all those items to the Alzheimer's Association. There are so many people who cannot afford the basics, let alone all the items you mentioned!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I contacted the doctor prior to DHs visit yesterday...to no avail!

I guess he is driving himself down to AUSTIN. 

31DC07BC-6188-4D22-8E45-249FEE4B6677.gif

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1     if you can't do anything about him, try helping you.  Perhaps the Dr can give you  mild tranquilizer, to take when you are with him ,on the trip

Respected Contributor

oh how I WISH we had this topic up when I was caretaking my Mom! I've read through 2 pages and will continue the rest in a minute.

MY STORY

i moved in with my Mom about 2002, she was healthy and took care of herself. Fast forward to 2015: Mom refused a hip replacement 10 years prior AND her physician never fully explained what that would mean to her.

Her medical declined and now the hip joint was nearly non existent and nothing could be done. She was in severe pain, 24/7 forcing her to sleep in a fancy recliner as she could not lie down in a bed. I was working mandatory overtime 6 days a week for years ( hated it and it was horrific on my health ) and was pretty much trying to just exist.

i have one brother and one daughter.....no assistance no help. Brother moved far away 45 years ago, so it became my sole responsibility to take care of the folks. Daddy passed in 1996, then moms only sister passed in 1997. All her other cousins Aunts etc, all deceased, with mommy all alone except for me.

I must share: I retired early and holy cow, what a rude awakening on Day 1 of retirement. Mom could barely move. She had been in a walker at that point for about 2 years and totally dependent on it now. I'm no saint, I'm

a " regular Human " and was overwhelmed. 

i became infuriated at family who were not considerate enough to help and or just come visit and I wonder if I can EVER forgive them for not caring-doubt it.

Bless ALL of us who are trying to keep it together. We know you love your parents and gosh, do not be ashamed of your feelings and don't feel guilt.

Love you all!