Esteemed Contributor
Has anyone ever bought glasses online. What has been your experience. Do they need adjusted usually so they aren’t too loose or too tight and where do you get them adjusted. I have been checking out a couple online stores.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying eyeglasses online

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday : I have been buying many pairs of glasses online (1confirmed years)at Zennioptical.  No problems; if I need them adjusted comfort wise I take them to wherever I got my vision exam.  They fix them in under five minutes.  The average price per pair of progressives is $110 including frames; I've saved thousands of dollars with them over the years.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

@ccassaday : I have been buying many pairs of glasses online at Zennioptical.  No problems; if I need them adjusted comfort wise I take them to wherever I got my vision exam.  They fix them in under five minutes.  The average price per pair of progressives is $110 including frames; I've saved thousands of dollars with them over the years.

Thanks. I just checked them out. I need to see if I can find my prescription. I think it might be old but that site doesn’t verify if it is current or not.  Do you know if they verify it?

Esteemed Contributor

My SIL gets her glasses at goggles4u dot com. Next time I need glasses I’m getting them from there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday  Only your Opthomologist will have your most recent prescription. I'm surprised you don't have the most recent one from your last visit. You should see him/her before getting new glasses anyway to be sure the prescription is still correct. 

I'd be leary of purchasing glasses on-line since you are unable to try them on beforehand. Think of how many pairs are tried on before you settle of the pair you finally buy? The shape, style and color of frames for your face vary and, as your coloring or hair color or weight changes, your frames often  need to change as well. Be very careful about buying them on-line. It could be an expensive mistake. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I've been buying from Zenni for years and never had any problems with them.  I wear lined bifocals.  You can buy very cheap frames or designer frames.  I know there is another place on line that will send you several pairs of frames so you can see what they will look like and then you send them back --- I can't think of the name --- anyone out there know?  Is it Warby Parker??? Any how -- I've recommended Zenni to several friends and family and all have been happy! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I bought several pair from Zenni.  My opthamaologist checked them at the time of my visit and said "you got these on line correct? " He said the lenses were the worst quality he had ever seen.  So...

Respected Contributor

Zenni does a great job with the lenses. I have used a few other places too. They all  ask for the date of your RX, just make sure it's not more than two years old and there shouldn't be a problem (they don't call the doc. so adjust the date of needed). A few places will call, so read the fine print. However, if your eyes have changed it makes sense to get an actual exam first. As far as adjusting, Zenni has an educational Q&A on how to adjust frames. I haven't bought any for my family that they couldn't wear because of fit.

Respected Contributor

I think it is great if you can buy them on line. I have such a difcicult time finding the right color so not too harsh and overpowering and the rignt frame to flatter. I wear glasses daily. I think they would be especially good for those who wear glasses on occasion. Since I am in my 60s I get  my eyes tested a annually . The glaucoma test is important as we age.  I just rescheduled a canceled appointment.  Less than $100, so worth it to me to go in every year.

My eye glass outlet will adjust and fix anyone's glasses free of charge. They are nice about it even though not purchased there. We have many tourists that need service especially in the summer.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a very difficult prescription (I've since had cataract surgery so I don't need glasses anymore) and I would never go online to get my glasses. I had astigmatism, my eyesight was around 20/700. Yes I paid a lot for my glasses but this guy made them in his shop and he used very high quality lenses that didn't scratch. I used to go to Eyemasters and their lenses would scratch in less than a year even though I paid for the coating. My eyesight is to important for cheap glasses. I guess if your vision isn't to difficult online might be fine.