Respected Contributor

Buying chairs or sofas on-line.

DH and I are looking for 2 new living room chairs.  We went to 3 stores today and struck out,  they were either uncomfortable or not available in the sort of print we need.  

I've always liked Pottery Barn, so I looked online at their large selection.  Unfortunately, the items can't be returned!  How does anyone buy furniture on-line if  there's no idea about the comfort?  I'd hate to be stuck with uncomfortable chairs!  The PB stores near us do have furniture, but not every style.

If you've ordered upholstered chairs or sofas on-line, please tell me about your experience.  

Thank you! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Buying chairs or sofas on-line.

@this is my nic-

You know, I just don't think that is ever a good idea.

It would be a hit or miss because everyone has a different idea of what's comfortable.

A chair and couch have to fit and be comfortable for your leg length and your height and the softness etc etc.

Anyway, I had wonderful luck with chairs from Marshalls! They have so many and many were comfortable and attractive too 

and great prices.

Of course you have to have the time to hit it at the right time.

You can find out when they get new deliveries.

I lucked out on a wonderful couch on sale at Pier 1 of all places. Most of their things are overpriced but they do have reasonable sales many times. It was a store model but I loved everything about it and one of the most comfortable I've ever had.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@this is my nic  Ordered (2) matching chairs last year.  I went to local stores that carried the brands/models we were considering purchasing.  Tried them out, decided on models I was considering.  Online store sent us fabric samples.  I wanted 2 upholstered chairs, but had size limitations.  I have ordered wooden furniture from this same online store in the past and have been pleased with quality, pricing and customer service.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have gone into upscale furniture stores and looked for a sofa, loveseat and two chairs.  When I fiound what I liked, I wrote down the Brand andthe fabric color number that I liked.

With this information, I called or-mailed stores In NC and they gave me prices that were much lower than what a I could buy for locally.  They charge for shipping, but no sales tax.

One time we took a road trip to visit the stores in NC and stayed overnight.  It was fun to spend two days shopping through the furniture stores there.  We found too many things we wanted, but ordered what we needed and it was delivered to our home in PA.

We shopped in Highpoint, NC, but there are many other cities where these furniture stores are located. The majority of good furniture is made in NC.  You can google for info.

I would not spend a lot of money on upholstered pieces unless I tested them out first for comfort and durability.

if you found chairs that you liked, couldn't the store order them in a different fabric that suits your taste? Most furniture stores can and have rows upon rows of fabric to choose from.  They are special order and will take a few weeks to arrive.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie-

That is a good idea to look and then try to find that same one online.

I don't know why I wouldn't ever have thought of that!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I could never do that. Last time be bought furniture we went from store to store finding nothing. I looked under the furniture to see how it's constructed. Salesman said I never had anyone do that. I said well I want to know what I'm buying. LOL!!!

They had a lot of ugly uncomfortable furniture.

We ended up finally finding some in our own home town.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay   Thanks.  I like the finer things, but like to hang onto as much of my  money that I can.

I always find big ticket items at a lower price.  We are redecorating and painting several rooms of our house right now.  I got a great deal on a new light for our foyer.  I saved $150 on the one I wanted.  I looked for months to get it at a lower price.

I found it brand new on e-bay.  What a deal!   Now I need my DH to hang it for me. I have to wait until he paints the ceiling though.

Honored Contributor

Unless I could try it, I'd only buy a chair in which visitors rarely sit.  It would serve primarily as a spot of color.  I had a sleeper sofe parents used in spare bedroom that looked like new.  If I sat on it an hour, my back nearly killed me.  Most uncomfortable piece of furnirure ever but beautiful upholstry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The only way I’d try that is if I knew what measurements were comfortable for me and my short legs.  

I’ve ordered bedroom furniture from NC like Carmie did.  Saved a bundle but delivery took forever in my case.

Honored Contributor

All furniture is not equal. Just because a chair looks comfortable doesn’t mean it’s comfortable. 

If possible, try some out locally first so you’ll know what you want. Then try to duplicate it on-line.