Respected Contributor

Re: Buying Your Own Holiday Gift! Do you? What Was Your Gift?

As an adult I treat myself all year long.  I get what I need and things I want within reason.  I don't wait for the holidays.  I have never really understood adults swapping gifts at Christmas.  I feel differently about birthdays or thoughtful gifts for no reason.  When it is a two way swap it seems strange to me.  I know someone who swaps gift cards.  If I see good sales or get birthday gift cards(my birthday is in December) I will buy myself stuff at Christmas.  

Honored Contributor

DH buys surprise gifts for me but asks me to pick out a couple things that I really want.  No surprise on these but I don't mind!  I usually end up getting myself a couple things, too.  I purchased quite a few things from the LG sale-- couldn't pass up even though I am currently not wearing much makeup at all!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Due to my husbands poor gift buying abilities, I've been buying most of my gifts for at least 40 of the 46 years we've been married.  We both prefer it that way.   

Our big outside home improvement project was completed on Christmas Eve, so we decided to wait until January to buy our gifts.

I need nothing, have nothing in mind, and won't spend money unless I find something I really want.   The years since my retirement have been spent decluttering this house, so I have right-sized my life to just have what I need.   

Respected Contributor

As main "shopper" in this family, I must admit to purchasing majority of gifts for myself.  No issue with DH - I would purchase things I needed, liked, they fit, price was right, etc.  He would appreciate the gesture as I handed him the bags.  He wrapped and sometimes they were a surprise to me by the time Christmas or birthday came around.     This year I did little shopping - bought chocolate and popcorn and shared with family.  DH did a great job of surprising me with electric toothbrush - I bought him one last year and he really liked so he wanted me to have one.   Win, win!

Honored Contributor

I always buy myself both birthday and holiday gifts. 

Interestingly, my cat also now buys me something for those occasions.  He says just pick out whatever I want, and he'll pay for it from his allowance.  So generous.   Cat Happy  LOL

Honored Contributor

Yarn, beautiful, marvelous, yarn.

Honored Contributor

Thats like that vehicle commercial, where the guy gives himself a vehicle, and the one woman says,"well, I was very good this year".  

Those were cute, and I liked that commercial too.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop I am on the way to clearing out things in order to have what I need, and not excess saved from the years. Of course sentimental items are always the hardest.

When I say I give away the average of one item each day, those just starting out on family life don't always understand how I have so many things to give away. But after raising a family and clearing out parents' houses, things have been stored and accumulate.

When I do get something new I think about it before buying it, and then really enjoy it! I also enjoy gifting others what they really want.

Honored Contributor

I bought my husband a new fridge as the one we had (for only 3.5yrs) pooped out on us.

Husband just yesterday bought me a new car battery as mine died when I attempted to start up my Rav 4 yesterday due to the frigid cold we had for a few days.

Yes, we give each other THE BEST GIFTS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name 

I like to buy myself a Christmas gift but it has to be something I wasn’t going to buy anyway. Some years I get a gift but not always. I haven’t thought of anything for this year. 

I’m not sure how my tradition got started but I recall my Christmas gift used to be a holiday outfit to wear at a holiday party. The gift must’ve evolved; then again, I might have banned clothing after that bright red pants and top outfit one year! lol