Honored Contributor

Re: Busy, Busy at the Bird's Nest - June 2019

@Mz iMac   I usually don't see a dove/pigeon until it looks almost like the parents.  I did have the opportunity to see baby pigeons up close when I was working.  Pigeons made a nest in the concrete beams of the parking garage near work.  First time I saw a baby pigeon I won't lie I more or less did this

Image result for nervous cat gif

It was a lil bit homely, then I started appreciating that it was cute.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

The Landings Ospreys 2019

These are the "baby" ospreys at the Landings nest cam site near Savannah.   I just checked on them and there's a thunderstorm going on there now.   The photo above was taken a few days ago.   They will be fledging pretty soon.  

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: bird

Honored Contributor

@possummink   I'm sure you'll see the humor in this.  I had to get on the roof to brush off the chimney crown and then tape around the crown to protect the bricks underneath.  I don't like heights, lol.  I get out there, do the tape thing and hear a bird call.  It's the hawk in my butchered front maple Woman Happy  I hear other smaller birds shouting out warning calls and so I yell at the hawk, hey, get outta my tree.  Hawk's not moving.  I crawl back to the window, get into the house, run downstairs and go out into the front yard.  I walk under the maple and say, hey get outta my tree, your upsetting the small birds.  Hawk just looks at me.

I figure, ooh this could be a great photo opportunity and so I come back in the house,  grab my canon powershot and go back into the front yard.  I tell the hawk don't move, I want a picture and the hawk flies off.

He flies next door.  I get back on the roof with gloves, a spray mister bottle, paint brush and gallon tub of that sealant and I'm scooting along on my butt trying not to drop anything or fall off the roof.

I don't think the hawk liked me being on my roof, it wouldn't stop screeching at me.  All I thought was my God, please don't let that hawk fly at me, I'll fall down and break every bone in my body.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) We are want to say thanks if you like to share this post to another people via your facebook, pinterest, google plus or twitter account. Right Click to save picture or tap and hold for seven second if you are using iphone or ipad. Source by :...

@Bird mama 

Bernie,   That hawk sounds like my cat,  when I want to get a picture.  I have to sneak up on her or pretend I'm just reading stuff on my phone.  

I do remember getting up on the roof and doing things, but those days are pretty much in the past for me.   I used to take the leaf blower up on the roof and walk around blowing the gutters clean.   That ended when someone cut the lock on the wire cable I use  to keep things from wandering off of my property.   They couldn't cut the cable so the cut the lock.   I now have a hex lock that my brother got for me.   After the new Honda lawnmower I had was stolen the same way,  he got that kind of lock,   Very hard to cut,  I don't know why.  It's on the steel cable that's attached to my John Deere.   

Two times in the past my brother accidentally locked me out of the house and both times I had to climb up onto the roof, in Birkenstock clogs, and then climb onto the 2n'd story part of the roof,  slide down on the other side of that roof onto the first story roof,  slice the screens on unlocked windows and climb in headfirst, flop onto the floor.   I am so over roof walking, climbing,  etc.    All I'd have needed was a hawk sitting in the tree, yackking at me.   

I wonder if it has a nest in a nearby tree,  in your neighborhood?   That was what was going on in my son's neighborhood for a few years.   You could hear them calling and of course the parents,  came to his yard looking for 'lunch' for the chicks.  I'd see them every now and then.  Beautiful birds. .  They'd perch on the fence now and then.  

I hope your sealing job on the roof holds up well for you.   My brother used some tar?  on a little hole that a small branch poked in my roof.  I didn't know it till the plaster started to fall off of the ceiling in my daughter's old bedroom.   The little piece of tree stuck up only about 2 inches, and he thought it was just a piece of a limb laying on the shingles, but it had pierced the shingles.   Now I need some plaster work done, but am waiting till gift giving season,(graduation, graduation, wedding, birthdays, etc.) are over.   Fixed incomes are hard to live on at times. Cat Happy  

Be very careful when you get out on the roof,  it's so easy to lose balance or trip or slip.   Grayson is the one with wings. Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

African Crowned Eagle... the Leopard of the Sky

Honored Contributor

Google+

Honored Contributor