Honored Contributor

Busy, Busy at the Bird's Nest - June 2019

Welcome dear friends and new visitors to the Bird's Nest for June.

I'm hearing the voices of new life every time I open my door and step outside.  We had some cooler weather this spring which delayed the breeding season for my beloved sparrows by a couple of weeks. 

I think the sparrow babies in the birdhouse are getting ready to fledge and I'm excited to see them. 

Image result for baby birds and their mothers

Image result for baby birds and their mothers

Image result for sparrow nest

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Re: Busy, Busy at the Bird's Nest - June 2019

What type of bird is in your second picture? It has such pretty colors!
Honored Contributor

Because I can't see it's head @dsw503 , it could be a rose crowned fruit dove.  It's some kind of dove.

Image result for rose crowned fruit dove

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama, Thank you for the lovely pictures of these beautiful birds.  They are amazing, and I love the poem you cited.

I wonder if you might know the answer to a question I have.

We had covered a small section of our front yard with straw, hoping to get some grass seeds growing in that area.  We do have a pair of cardinals we often see in our yard.  DH saw Mr going back and forth to Mrs cardinal, beak to beak.  He must have been feeding her, but DH said maybe they were just kissing!  LOL Is this a usual thing?  We’ve never seen anything like it.  Just a note, we have to take our feeders and suet away in the warmer weather because it attracts the bears like crazy.  This is a new situation in CT over the last few years.  Likely because of their natural habitats being destroyed.  

Because you you are the resident expert on our little winged creatures, I wonder if you could share your thoughts on our lovely cardinal pair.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart, I'm far from expert on birds @PamfromCT   

It's been my experience that when it comes to an adult bird feeding another adult bird, I've only seen it in cardinals.  I've seen every other bird in my yard feed a baby bird that's fledged.

I found this online:

"This beautiful male bird also courts his future mate by feeding her seeds. When the female agrees to become his mate they sing to each other.  During courtship they may also participate in a bonding behavior where the male collects food and brings it to the female, feeding her beak-to-beak. If the mating is successful, this mate-feeding may continue throughout the period of incubation."

Honored Contributor

You know @PamfromCT  they say it's courting or mating behavior for the male to feed the female however I've seen it in the dead of winter.  So I think they are just really affectionate to their mates.

Honored Contributor

Here are some posts from @possummink that were added after midnight 

Hello June!  Sunflower bouquet

Good morning my beautiful girls. Happy Saturday :)

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Bird mama.  You are too modest!

With any luck, we might have a sweet little family in our yard.  We do have numerous bird houses, on very high poles.  We miss seeing our birdies feed.  But a number of weeks ago, it was obvious we had left our feeders up too long.  I’m heard a lot of commotion one night on our deck.  There was one huge bear out there!  They don’t mean any harm to people, however...they have broken into a few houses, etc.  Last year a bear in a neighboring town broke into someone’s car, and he couldn’t get out.  Somehow, Animal Rescue managed to free Brr Bear and he scampered off.  Of course, you can imagine what the inside of the car looked like.  It was all over the TV news.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT   The little poem that I include each month was something that another poster from years gone by named @sweetpeace  included when she would 'refresh' the nest each month.  I like to give credit where it's due.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama   Wonderful pictures.  I especially love the Doves, which I know are nesting in my garden as I hear them, love the sound they make.  I also discovered that again this year there are birdies nesting in my tenefolium hedge, heard them and saw rustling.  The birds that were nesting in the eve of the deck roof have fledged.  I know Robins are nesting, or have nested this year as I saw signs.

Spring is wonderful in the garden, so much new life, critters and plants, then the horrible summer weather arrives and nothing and no one is happy in the garden, then wonderful Fall weather arrives to save us all from fringe of demise, lol.