Esteemed Contributor

I guess I must be way out of the loop but could someone tell me when bridal shower registry came into being?  I, of course, am familiar with wedding registries but it's been a long time since I have been to a bridal shower and "back then" I never heard of having both a wedding registry and a bridal registry.

Respected Contributor

Probably just another money or gift grab.

Respected Contributor

Not sure when it came to be exactly but it's been around for awhile.   Many showers I've been to in the past 15-20 years have always had a registry for the bride's shower.  Same with baby showers.   I guess it's a good idea, this way you can get a gift that was put on a list by the recipient and more than likely the gift doesn't get returned!  

Respected Contributor

I really like the registries.  It helps me pick a gift that someone truly wants and helps avoid duplicate gifts.

They are optional of course and the gift giver still may give any gift they choose.  

“People do, I don’t.”
Cosmo Kramer
Honored Contributor

Re: Bridal Shower Registry

[ Edited ]

Both my Godchild and her sister were married about fifteen or more years ago. They both had a Shower Registry. There was no Wedding Registry as we give money here. 

Honored Contributor

From Wiki:

The Chicago-founded department store Marshall Field's first instituted the practice of a bridal registry in 1924 at its Marshall Field and Company Building as a means for the engaged couple to indicate chosen china, silver, and crystal patterns to family and friends. US-based Target stores pioneered the electronic self-service gift registry in 1993, using a service provided by The Gift Certificate Center of Minneapolis.[1] William J. Veeneman (the founder and CEO of The Gift Certificate Center) and others invented and subsequently patented the technology.[2]

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Probably just another money or gift grab.

So you don't bring a present to the bridal shower?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Regular Contributor

"So you don't bring a present to the bridal shower?"

If I bring a present to the bridal shower I definately will not bring a present to the wedding.  From what I understand you bring a gift to one or the other unless of course you want to split the gift and bring a gift to both events.

Respected Contributor

@lg fan wrote:

If I bring a present to the bridal shower I definately will not bring a present to the wedding.  From what I understand you bring a gift to one or the other unless of course you want to split the gift and bring a gift to both events.

That has not been my experience, but perhaps it is a regional thing.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

@lg fan wrote:

I have been to bridal showers and weddings from the east coast to the west coast and north and south. I have always brought a gift to each, which has been my pleasure to do so.  

I'd love to know in which region of the country one only gives to only one.