Respected Contributor

"My understanding is that onr may invite people to the bridal shower who may not be receiving an invitation to their wedding  as there are many who for financial reasons put a cap on how many they can accommodate."

If I am only invited to the shower and not the wedding I would not attend the shower nor give a gift. 

Respected Contributor

I know I will be in the minority, but I think gift registries are tacky.

Esteemed Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

I know I will be in the minority, but I think gift registries are tacky.

So you would rather people get duplicate gifts, or gifts that they don't want?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Bridal showers are for her friends, people around her age. Some of the gifts are very personal and would embarrass the older folks.

Respected Contributor

"So you would rather people get duplicate gifts, or gifts that they don't want?"

I know someone who did not have a bridal registry and he said that he and his wife received six toasters.  They both wasted a lot of time returning gifts.

Honored Contributor

gift for the shower....preferably from a registry which is so much easier.

gift for the bachelorette party.....usually something more fun and personal.

gift or a check or a gift card for the wedding. if i i decide to do a gift it would again be from their registry, then i have it sent to their home......so much easier not to have to load a car with gifts when the wedding is over.

have definitely seen people ask for nothing to be wrapped at bridal showers and baby showers, but it isnt that they wanted to just have everything on display. they want to be more conscious of not having waste.....as in wrapping paper and bows. it is better for the environment.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

"Kinda of like telling the kid born around Christmas that you've combined their birthday and Christmas give into one?"

I don't see anything wrong in combining a gift if it is a generous gift. 
What would you rather have a nice shiny bicycle or two cheap gifts of board games and marbles?

Just curious, which event are you not getting the child a present for....Christmas or their birthday.  Seems really cold..." yea I gave you a present last week for your birthday, you get nothing for Christmas"

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor
A bridal shower is a fun, celebratory occasion that allows the bride's close friends and family members to spend time together before the big day. It's also a practical opportunity for guests to "shower" the bride-to-be with gifts to help her establish a home with her future spouse.Sep 17, 2020
Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

Bridal showers are for her friends, people around her age. Some of the gifts are very personal and would embarrass the older folks.

Bridal showers are for everyone. Do people still give tacky showers? I have never given, or attended one.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

I've always thought that the term "bridal registry" is meant for both a bridal shower and the wedding. After all, she's the "bride" for both events! As long as there are gifts registered in a variety of price ranges, I think the registry is wonderful. I've been to some showers that had a theme that just seemed silly or too personal ("honeymoon lingerie"). Some of the gifts were a bit crude and embarassing to the bride's grandmothers and probably a few others. And honestly, what was the point?!

I'd much rather spend my money for a gift that I know the bridal couple wants and will use. I used to think that I could choose a pair of beautiful crystal candleholders and they'd be thrilled and always think of me when they used them. Wrong! I learned that most young couples in the last 10 to 15 years didn't care diddly squat about beautiful crystal and had no intention of using them!