Respected Contributor

"I have been to bridal showers and weddings from the east coast to the west coast and north and south. I have always brought a gift to each, which has been my pleasure to do so.  

I'd love to know in which region of the country one only gives to only one."

I usually give a generous cash gift which covers for both events.  

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Probably just another money or gift grab.

@Meowingkitty actually no.  Pick a gift for the bridal shower if you have been invited or pick a wedding gift if you prefer not to give cash.

Respected Contributor

All these years I thought the terminology was interchangeable, a registry from which a gift could be selected for either the bridal shower or for the wedding.  

When invited to a bridal shower I select a gift from the registry; our wedding gift is cash.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was married over 30 years ago and bridal shower registeries were around then because I had one.  Generally, the bride and groom registery for the shower is also used for the wedding.

The wedding shower and the wedding are 2 different things.  I have never heard of attending both and not bringing a gift to both.  

If I am invited to a bridal shower, I buy something off the registry.  When we attend the wedding, I always give cash.  I don't lower the amount of cash because I gave them a shower gift.     

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the input.  I have given several showers for people in the past but that was some years ago.  I have always taken a shower gift to give for the bride to open at her shower of my choosing.  On the shower invitation they gave the place of her registry. That is the first shower invitation I have ever gotten with a bridal "shower" registry. 

We are giving money for the wedding since it is for our Grandson and his future wife.  We really like his fiance.  She's a sweet thoughtful girl and I was hoping to give her something more personal for a shower but the fact that she's registered makes me think something more useful might be better.  They don't live together.  My grandson has just moved into an apartment a few short months ago and she still lives at home so they will need about everything. I think, after considering all these posts, I'm leaning toward just going with the registry. I guess personal can come sometime later for a birthday, Christmas or something.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Bridal Shower Registry

[ Edited ]

@lgfan wrote:

"I have been to bridal showers and weddings from the east coast to the west coast and north and south. I have always brought a gift to each, which has been my pleasure to do so.  

I'd love to know in which region of the country one only gives to only one."

I usually give a generous cash gift which covers for both events.  

Kinda of like telling the kid born around Christmas that you've combined their birthday and Christmas gift into one?

Respected Contributor

"Kinda of like telling the kid born around Christmas that you've combined their birthday and Christmas give into one?"

I don't see anything wrong in combining a gift if it is a generous gift. 
What would you rather have a nice shiny bicycle or two cheap gifts of board games and marbles?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Registries have been around a long time.  

I usually choose a gift from the registry for the shower and give a cash gift for the wedding.

I've never heard of only giving one gift for either the shower or the wedding.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'll be called a scrooge for this but, I've never understood the need for a shower (and a gift) plus another gift for the wedding.  I remember thinking this way as a kid when me and my mom went to wedding showers and then the wedding.  Of course, if I'm invited to a shower and the wedding, I do buy a gift for both.  As others have mentioned, registries for showers have been around a long time. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

"I'll be called a scrooge for this but, I've never understood the need for a shower (and a gift) plus another gift for the wedding.  I remember thinking this way as a kid when me and my mom went to wedding showers and then the wedding."

You are not a scrooge. I was brought up the same way.  If there was a bridal shower it was understood that the gift would also cover the wedding. This is why I give a generous cash gift to cover both events.  By the way I have never been accused of being cheap in regards to giving only one gift.Smiley Very Happy