Contributor

I found out right before Christmas that I also had breast cancer.. thank goodness, I get my mammogram every year and it was 5mm in size.. I had a lumpectomy on Jan. 11 2023 .. I am taking a cancer pill for the next 5 years and so far, I am very blessed and not having any side effects..  I am 73 yrs old and was told if I had been 70 yrs old or younger , I would have had to do radiation also...  Prayers for you !!

Esteemed Contributor

I am praying for you.  I am glad they found it in early stage, because my friend found a lump four years ago.  She told no one in the four years and did nothing.  Today she is in stage 4 and hospice.  All of it could have been prevented had she got it checked and treatment for it early like you have.

Though it is very scarey to get the information you have cancer, at least going at the early stage has saved your life.

I also had a lump and was so scared, but the ultrasound showed no cancer, and was something else, but still scarey.

You were very smart and brave and will be OK.

Respected Contributor

Sending prayers and good health to all who have been affected by this horrible disease.

18-1/2 year survivor myself. HeartCat HappyHeart

Contributor

Thank you. Had my surgery on the 20th on January and got all the tumor, no spreading, everything around it was benign and lymph nods were benign . I am so blessed. Waiting for my radiation and I will be take the pills from hell for 5 years. I pray I can get through the 5 years. I had a friend couldn't deal with the side effects. I am praying I won't have to many. I am praying for all of us that have heard those words you have cancer, God Bless you all and thank you for all your concern and prayers. My tumor was on my left breast and I read it could effect my heart and lungs, Yikes that doesn't sound good. It seems to never end Smiley Sad 

Contributor

My mom had breast cancer at 81 and they did a test on me to determine if I was high risk or not. I wasn't but I started seeing a breast surgeon once a year for a check up and any questions I may have. He was the one that told me 7 years ago that I should be getting utrasounds because I have dense breasts. No one had every told me that before. Had he not told me I might never had gotten this test. I think there are women out there that may not know about this. This Dr. retired last year or I would have had him as my breast surgeon. He was very nice. I was lucky I had a really good breast surgeon that was hightly recommended by so many others. Please spread the word to others if they mention they have dense breasts as they to may not know. 

Contributor

My mother had a breast cancer scare. Thankfully it was nothing! With breast cancer being so common these days, I'm so grateful never to have lost anyone to it. In fact, my mother's results said she is less likely to get breast cancer in her lifetime. I was so relieved! Heart

Respected Contributor

@friendscafe .... Your prognosis is very good.  I had the same as you did, left breast, 2 lumpectomies to get it all even though it was very very small.  First surgery was botched IMHO.

Radiation for almost 2 months every day with the same risks to heart and lungs.  Also the pills for 5 years.  I am perfectly fine today and you will be too.  The radiation never bothered me like some others experienced.

My current discomfort that has never gone away is due to scar tissue.

Sending my best to you! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@friendscafe - I went through the same thing several years ago. I did have to go through 2 lumpectomies about 4 weeks apart. Then I had about 8 weeks of radiation. 

I did have to use a special deodorant (maybe called Crystal Rock?) and used a recommended lotion to apply to the radiation area.

My skin was quite burned around the 4th week so they gave me a week off. Also had scripts for the burns - 

Do you exercise at all? If at all possible you might want to start with some walking to build  up your stamina. I went to the gym every day. It wasn't until toward the end that I got extremely tired - to the point I would just fall asleep no matter where I was. I drove myself until that point then needed to get rides back and forth.

You will know when the tired hits - its like you ran into a brick wall at 100 mph.

As far as dietary goes, there were no restrictions for me to follow. I didn't get nauseous at all - just so tired.

Good Luck!

Contributor

Thank you so much. Blessings to all of us.