Respected Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

I have an Omron wrist and Omron arm cuff.  The wrist measures different than the arm.  I took it to my cardiologist and it didn’t line up with their readings.  My cardio doesn’t like the wrist cuffs.  I’m back to the arm cuff.  The wrist is much easier to use on my 5.5” wrist, however unstable readings in my case. 

@Dawnie

Many physicians do not recommend wrist cuffs.  It has been my experience they give lower readings than my upper arm cuff. (which is calibrated to my PCP's cuff)

Another thing that will give lower readings is an inadequate sized cuff.  If your upper arm measures 12"+, be sure to purchase a large cuff.

Honored Contributor

I use a wrist cuff.  I've never been successful with the arm cuff on my skinny arms.  I take my B/P at least twice a week.  It mostly runs in the 120s/70s, varying a little on occasion.  I take Valsartan, and have been taking it for several years.  My NP is OK with the wrist cuff in my case.  I watch for a trend.  If my B/P was suddenly consistently much higher, I'd been in touch with my doctor's office.  I do go quarterly, since I'm also on a statin.  My wrist cuff is an Omron.

Honored Contributor

Re: Blood pressure cuff

[ Edited ]

I've had high blood pressure since I was 19, and have had to take RX meds daily to control it.  My doctor advised using an Omron monitor and I always have. 

Medical professionals still recommend this brand, and you'll have better accuracy with an arm cuff.

ETA.:  Amazon has a a diverse selection with great prices and free shipping.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

I have an Omron wrist and Omron arm cuff.  The wrist measures different than the arm.  I took it to my cardiologist and it didn’t line up with their readings.  My cardio doesn’t like the wrist cuffs.  I’m back to the arm cuff.  The wrist is much easier to use on my 5.5” wrist, however unstable readings in my case. 

My Dr. told me that the wrist BP machines are no good, so I use the the arm cuff with good results 

Honored Contributor

Had Omron for decades now, 3 different upgrades. None quit working and all were/are very accurate, if done correctly. All wete/are wrist monitors.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

You can find BP cuffs, cheaper and no shipping fee at your local drugstore.

Honored Contributor

I have an OMRON and a Homedics that I've had for years and they both measure up pretty accurately for the BP, compaired to my doctors arms cuff.

Honored Contributor

Another vote for Omron.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Contributor

Re: Blood pressure cuff

[ Edited ]

I never had high blood pressure but for the past several months I had been taking a lot of ibuprofen for teeth problems and noticed my feet swelling.  I checked it out and that is a side effect along with high blood pressure.  I bought an Omron and have yet to use it - perhaps I'm scared to see what it is!

Honored Contributor

@janiemay wrote:

I never had high blood pressure but for the past several months I had been taking a lot of ibuprofen for teeth problems and noticed my feet swelling.  I checked it out and that is a side effect along with high blood pressure.  I bought an Omron and have yet to use it - perhaps I'm scared to see what it is!

Wow! Get yourself to a doctor ASAP!!

"Pure Michigan"