Honored Contributor
@I am still oxox

It doesn't sound horrible to me and I don't blame you.❤️
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Blessing and a curse

[ Edited ]

Oh I am being held hostage, I feel like I have to be there to answer the phone and explain where I am and what is going on with my other half. I always check my cell, and my phone phone rolls over to my cell, he calls and if I do not pic up he will call 3 minutes later, and one and on, it becomes all consuming

@LTT1 wrote:

@Justice4all@I am still oxox

I read once to use the words "I have five minutes to talk right now" and it worked.

This response if feeling like you are being held hostage regularly by phone calls.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I've learned the hard way here to not share too much about this issue, because the judgment that will rain down on you is too much to take. Saying anything remotely "critical" about your relatives or those you care for makes you a horrible uncaring selfish person and horrible child. 

I love my mother more than words, that does not mean I have to see her as faultless. Or me full of faults and failings that I have to get in check. Dealing with caring for her with no help from my dysfunctional emotionally and verbally abusive siblings would have destroyed many people. It did almost destroy me sometimes. Thankfully she is in better shape now and can do more for herself. But she does have non physical issues that she won't confront, and that makes things very difficult sometimes.

It's easy to judge someone else's situation from the perspective of your own, in this situation. But not fair to them. There are so many other factors about their lives that you know nothing about. I am human, I am a good person, I am not aiming for sainthood. When one of your goals in life is to not let people in your own family destroy you...well just think about how that feels. Judge not lest you be judged.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@LTT1,   I was determined not to give up and I started walking normal a few days ago.  The muscles in my upper leg that were so tight holding up the hip area have relaxed.  Stretching the area and I did take Flexeril helped me tremendously.  I am still careful and experience some difficulty but actually walking normal was a big step forward (literally) for me.  Thank you for thinking of me.  I hope you are doing well and enjoying those lovely grandchildren of yours.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I don't know what to say to all your comments. I'm astonish at the level of lack of compassion all have for this poor 94 year old man. He lost his wife, his total companion for I don't know how many years and his probably terrified and lonely.  If it wasn't for him you wouldn't  be here. So what if I calls you 4 times a day. What else have you got going. And by the way I do know what I'm talking about. I took care of my dad for over 4 years with MS in his home. I was there every day and night when he would call me because he could remember if I had been there or not. Sitting boundaries,  are you kidding me, he's 94 years old for heavens sake.

I totally agree with Sweetee2! I was the major caregiver for my dad his last 7 years of his life. The last 3 he had progressive dimentia. It sure would a tough ride. I did have my brother come home about once a month to give me a break. We also hired a caregiver near the end. But he still would call me at all hours. If he had a doctor appt that I was taking him to at 1pm, I would get a phone call from him at 1am wondering where I was. There would be no way I'd turn my phone off. I sucked it up and gave him the best I could. As soon as he became too much for us to handle at home I got him into a nursing home. He lasted only 11 days there before he died. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Went thur this with my father recently....it is really a no win situation for either of you.  I suspect his anxiety and NEED for control of something in his life fuels much of the behavior PLUS aging with in my case was dementia.  My father had angry outbursts...just generally mean to us all the time...I would not go up to visit him alone.  I always brought someone with me hoping it would help keep him in check.  His long standing habit was to be mean to his kids but be the nicest guy to outsiders!  For the most part that's what happened ....his regular nurses said he was one of their favorites.  I had anxiety myself over having to "deal" with him.  He felt I should be on call as I wasn't working at that time.

One time at one of his many hospitalizations...he suddenly changed.  His mental state was SO different...never in my entire life had I seen this.  He was so NICE....sweet even...smiled at me when he saw me (instead of yelling at me with a scowl) holding my hand and talking about my Mom (she had already passed by then).  The nursing staff went nuts...they noticed the change and were testing him for all kinds of stuff thinking he had another infection as this will make someone's personality change suddenly.  I wanted it to last....I prayed he would be like this new person I never knew in my entire life....but by the next day when my brother and I went back he was back to "normal" and yelling at us the second we came in the room.

It was a long sad journey and I wished it could have been different....he was who he was and getting older and very sick only brought it out more.  We did our very best and got him great care...sometimes that's all you can do.  I couldn't physically care for him nor any of my brothers.  People who post harshly sometimes aren't thinking clearly....I took care of my sister who had MS (severe onset of a case) so I know what it's like to physically care for someone in EVERY way.  Morning Noon and night for yrs.  My Mom carried on for 23yrs doing this.  She cried many times to me of deep depression...she LOVED her daughter...but being a care giver is not easy.  

You have age now and illness's to deal with also....life is tough....do the best you can...forget about explaining it to him if he's like my dad he will not be able to process that you his KID is OLDER and has physcal health problems.  At this point in their life it's all about them...like small babies or kids.  Maybe anxiety med's might help....we got my dad on depression med's per the doctor's orders but it didn't help at all.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't read all the replies, just the first couple of pages, but I do know the pressure of having someone needing more than you feel you can give.

My father was sick for 16 years, and died when he was 45. My mom only had me for help (and I was only 18 when he died). She worked a full time job, did all the hospital stuff every time he would be admitted or run to emergency, raised two kids, kept a house....

Yes, she was younger and healthier than OP at this time, but it was a very long and hard battle. He failed not only physically, but mentally became a totally different (and demanding and hard to deal with) person, because of disease and medication.

It was hard for my mom to keep going, there was no help to come in. All I can offer are two things. 

This, too shall pass.

And you can only give what you've got. If you ruin your own health, you will be of no use to anyone. 

So pacing yourself might help, but sometimes getting a different attitude or outlook on the situation can help you deal physically and mentally with this. 

Don't discount that some counseling or some spiritual guidance might help. Consider looking at others in the same position and connecting with them. Just knowing you aren't alone, or seeing that there are others out there with a worse situation could help change the way you are feeling about this. 

Most importantly, know that he won't be around much longer, and you will have to live with yourself about how you dealt with this. So kindness, compassion, breaks when you need them, asking for help (even if it is paid help) are all important. 

I certainly don't know your father, but my guess is that he can't control his 'need' for your attentions. He is most likely at a point where he is, in many ways, not the man he once was, and has little or no control over some of the things he is doing/wanting. 

I know that doesn't make it any less exhausting, but it might help to remember that we all could end up in that place someday, and we will need all the love and patience those around us can muster up. 

Not having any children, you may have missed out on just how demanding another person can be in your life at certain times (a young child, an elderly or dementia parent). You might see this differently had you had to go through the sacrifices of child rearing that are similar to this (just at a younger age when we can handle the physical and emotional stress of it much better).

Cut yourself a little slack because this isn't easy, can be more overwhelming when you don't have much family to share the burden, and makes you feel guilty for wanting some escape from it. That is normal, venting here or in a group or with some counsel is good for you and may be helpful. Just save your best for him when you are there, and let the frustration out other places. 

They say parenting is the hardest job you'll ever do. Well, this is parenting in reverse, so there are no manuals, no instruction guide, and it isn't going to be the same for any two people. You simply might not be able to change your circumstance, so working on changing the way you see it or the way you cope with it might be the only option.

Best wishes for you and prayers for the entire family. 

Honored Contributor

Couple of things: No children-so that helps. You could be the "sandwich generation".

Sounds like your Dad is showing signs of Dementia-there a things you can do but you should talk to a professional. (Social Worker or Doctor)

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor
Ok, I am probably going to reamed out for this but here I go.  Forget about having reasonable talks with him and telling him the truth. Not gonna help. You can't change him, you can only change you: how you react to him.  First of all, figure out what you need. (You are at the end of your rope with between your health, your DH's health and your Dad.)  One call per day?  Limit 1/2 hour.  Ok, then do it.   Tell your Dad, doctor wants me to turn off my phone at 7:00 p.m. - and don't answer it between 7 p.m and 10 a.m. the next day.  Period. If you want to set a time for the call then do it.  Always end the call the same way.  Love you Dad, got to rest now, doctor's orders.   Give the aide your DH's number in case of emergency.  Turn your cell phone off.  A one hour visit every other day, do it.  My doctor insists I only go out every other day.  Will he screech when you leave.  Yep every time.  Get a pattern, Love you, (kiss on cheek) got to go now Dad, doctor's orders.  Keep walking. (You have to come up with a simple script you can follow.)  
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Re: Blessing and a curse

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG wrote:
Ok, I am probably going to reamed out for this but here I go.  Forget about having reasonable talks with him and telling him the truth. Not gonna help. You can't change him, you can only change you: how you react to him.  First of all, figure out what you need. (You are at the end of your rope with between your health, your DH's health and your Dad.)  One call per day?  Limit 1/2 hour.  Ok, then do it.   Tell your Dad, doctor wants me to turn off my phone at 7:00 p.m. - and don't answer it between 7 p.m and 10 a.m. the next day.  Period. If you want to set a time for the call then do it.  Always end the call the same way.  Love you Dad, got to rest now, doctor's orders.   Give the aide your DH's number in case of emergency.  Turn your cell phone off.  A one hour visit every other day, do it.  My doctor insists I only go out every other day.  Will he screech when you leave.  Yep every time.  Get a pattern, Love you, (kiss on cheek) got to go now Dad, doctor's orders.  Keep walking. (You have to come up with a simple script you can follow.)  

Thank you and you will not be reamed by me

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.