Valued Contributor

Black metal bed frame question

Does anyone have any reviews on the metal bed frames that I have been seeing lately. Looks like you don't need a box spring. I'm going to be buying a new bed soon and was wondering if these are any good.

Respected Contributor

Re: Black metal bed frame question

[ Edited ]

I have two one twin, one queen that hold 14 inch memory foam mattresses. They are not elegant, but functional.  They are in two guestrooms and work great. At least the ones I have do. And you don’t need a boxspring. The memory foam mattresses are very heavy, so the beds are noiseless. 

Honored Contributor

The frames I've seen have been sold for use with memory foam mattresses which don't need box springs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We have a black metal bedframe for our king size bed.  It is easy to move which we have done a couple of times.  In fact, one of the moving men said he really liked it because it was so easy.  No need for a boxspring and very sturdy.  We've had ours for almost 4 years and love it.  Also got one for our twin guest bed.  We got ours from Amazon.

Contributor

They are great.  I recently moved into a studio apartment and couldn't afford a box spring and bed frame.  I bought a decent mattress and the salesperson suggested a platform frame.  I didn't know what that was.  It is very sturdy and with a thick mattress, it is very comfortable.  I purchased a full-size mattress and when I purchased my bedding, I bought a queen-sized quilt to cover the sides, so you don't see the platform of the bed.  It works great.  Down the road if you're still interested in a box spring, you can always go that route.  But for me, it was very price efficient and it works great.  I hope this helps with your decision.

Honored Contributor

Funny---I just ordered one yesterday---I have a foam mattress that doesn't need a foundation too--the frame I have now got bent up during a move so now I can't put my headboard to it---the one I got is 14" above the floor so have space for storage under it. 

Honored Contributor

What happens to the height of the bed with these platform frames?  Are they taller to bring the mattress back to the height you are used to?  To explain, all my side tables were bought for certain height beds.  I don't want a huge difference.  

Honored Contributor

I have twice tried memory foam mattresses...they were so hot I was miserable. How do you keep from sinking into the foam so some air gets around your body and you aren’t sweltering?
Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone I feel more comfortable now in purchasing one.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

What happens to the height of the bed with these platform frames?  Are they taller to bring the mattress back to the height you are used to?  To explain, all my side tables were bought for certain height beds.  I don't want a huge difference.  

The one that I ordered from Amazon came in 2 heights, low rise and standard, which is the one I got.  It allows for about a foot of room under the frame.  Perfect for storage.