Honored Contributor

Re: Black History Month starts today!

@Lucky Charm,

I thought that was such an incredible movie and story. How brilliant they were.

But also what I thought was incredible was that I'd never learned about them until that movie, neither had my children. I never heard or read about them in school not all thru college. Why the history books do need to be re-written!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@golding76,

Yes, Tyler Perry. I admire him so much.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Mamie Till Quotes - StoreMyPic | Page 1

Top 7 Mamie Till-Mobley Quotes (2022 Update) - Quotefancy

Top 7 Mamie Till-Mobley Quotes (2022 Update) - Quotefancy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

on the bay, from what I understand, Tyler Perry's entertainment empire has had an enormous positive effect on the economy of Georgia, not to mention that he has given so many opportunities to people of color in the entertainment industry, opportunities they would not have had operating within the normal channels of show business.

His movies can be funny and/or instructive.  He is such a positive model and influence.   I admire him very much, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another individual who is emerging as a a person of note and a force to be reckoned with (well, she was always "someone," but more people are becoming aware of her) is Sheila Johnson, the ex-wife of Robert Johnson.  She and her ex formed BET.  Robert could be added to this list, too, but I prefer to focus on Ms. Johnson.

She has extended her influence in the entertainment industry by having her own film festival, the Middleburg Film Festival.  It has gained in prestige globally.  It is not too far from me (in fact it is very close) but a bit too pricey since you must buy a series of tickets.  For those unfamiliar with Ms. Johnson, I suggest you Wiki her.  A taste of what you'll find:

Sheila Crump Johnson (born January 25, 1949) is an American businesswoman, co-founder of BET, CEO of Salamander Hotels and Resorts, and the first African-American woman to attain a net worth of at least one billion dollars.

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

@Kachina624 @I will always remember comments about the Constitution during the Watergate hearings. She was magnificent!

@Zernia Rose   She was a speaker like no other I've ever heard.  One if my personal heroes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 We certainly need voices like hers, especially her character and honor.

Valued Contributor

??????

Do you assume that white people don't know any other black person besides MLK???? Are you serious?

Super Contributor

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley LOL
Honored Contributor

@PhillyGirl23    Please include the name of the poster to whom your comment is directed.  We don't know to whom you're speaking.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment