Respected Contributor

Re: Black History Month starts today!

Harriett Tubman, Rosa Parks, Elijah Cummings, Ruby Bridges, Emmet Till, Tuskegee Airmen and many others. Great post!

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@just bee I'm so pleased to see Thomas Sowell mentioned. I first read his early books during my college years. I've admired his intellect and amazing writing skills my whole life. I don't always agree 100% with him, but he always makes me think....and think hard. That's a great thing.

@Goldengate8361 

I'm pleased that someone admires him as much as I do. Woman Very Happy

It's hard to believe he's 91 years old.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@spumoni99 The series about Emmett Till,"Mothers of the Movement" was broadcast in January and aired over three weeks, two hours for each part.  It was powerful and evoked lots of emotions.  Some of the actions depicted are quite atrocious but hstorically accurate.  One could see many parallels to events today.  I met his mother, Mrs. Mamie Till Mobley.

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 Ida B. Wells USPS stamp is beautiful.  The Barbie doll depicting her was released last month; it is beautiful.  Her grreat, great granddauighter, Michelle Duster is an historian and has written a biographies of her for children and adults.

Regular Contributor

Add me to the group that admires Thomas Sowell.  I don't always agree with what he says but he always makes me think...deeply, and I appreciate that.  He's a great man. 

Trusted Contributor

This is a great topic and thanks for starting it.  I agree that the individuals named have excelled.  It's too hard to list all those that impacted me but four of my absolute favorites are Miriam Wright Edelman of the Children's Defense Fund, Robert Moses of the Algebra Project and Freedom Riders and Freedom School, Booker T. Washington, and W. E. B. Du Bois.

Respected Contributor

Hail, hail rock n roll for Chuck Berry!

Condalisa (sp) Rice

Coiin Powell

George Washigton Carver

Rosa Parks

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many to admire, but I still admire MLK the most.

He had a special connection to our northern CT town.  Seems he came here to work on tobacco as a very young man, when tobacco for cigar wrappers was grown here summers.

It has been acknowledged that the respect he was treated with here inspired him.  And our town has always been inhabited primarily by white people. Black workers were welcomed at local worship, etc., which obviously impressed Dr. King.  He is still remembered and honored here, and there is finally talk of creating a museum to honor his experience.

Respected Contributor

I am a horror movie fan so I am going to say Duane Jones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Former US Rep (Texas) Barbara Jordan.  She died way too young but would have been magnificent on the Supreme Court.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Jordan

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment