Honored Contributor

Re: Birth announcement Question

if i was friends with the grandmother and i received a card like this, i would probably send a little gift. it doesnt have to be anything extravagant. she may be registered on one of the sites and you could send something directly to the babys mother. you could then let the grandmother know OR send her a card congratulating the grandmother and briefly tell her you sent something for the baby.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

OP:  It's a gift grab and you are obligated to send a gift.  Doesn't have to be expensive, or it can be a gift card. 

Respected Contributor

I like the idea of sending a children’s book.  Not very expensive, and a great gift, in my opinion.  

Honored Contributor

I would send a Grandmother's gift, like a brag book, or take the new grandmother out to lunch.  You could also give the grandmother a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament at the lunch Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I sent out birth announcements when my DS was born 25 years ago.  I only wanted to share my joy with people from my hometown. (We’re a military family). I never expected or wanted any gifts, and would be mortified if people thought that is why I sent the announcements. That’s what baby showers are for. 

Trusted Contributor

I think @ECBG  suggested the perfect solution....

If you and your friend (the grandmother) still live in the same area I would take her out for lunch to celebrate her exciting entry into the wonderful world of being a grandparent.  That way, you two are the people who reap the benefits of getting together as friends, you have acknowledged the joy she must be experiencing in her new role, and you know you have done something special for her.  

As ECBG suggested, you might give her a Grandma's brag book for photos (although now-a-days most people just have them on their phone ready to share).  After your lunch, you could send a card/note to the new mother letting her know how happy you are for her, that you decided to use the occasion to take her mom out to celebrate her very special role as a new grandmother.  Let her know she proudly shared pictures of the baby with you and it is the most adorable baby ever.  Thank her for giving you the opportunity to get together with a valued life-long friend to celebrate this wonderful new life and wish her & the baby girl well.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti Thank you.  That's what I did since grandmothers are far from the loop in many ways.  They enjoy some of the attention as well.  After all, she is your treasured friend, make it about HER as well!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I would send my friend a congrats via card, email or Facebook to the new grandma, but no gift. Of course sending a gift is your own choice.

Honored Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

I sent out birth announcements when my DS was born 25 years ago.  I only wanted to share my joy with people from my hometown. (We’re a military family). I never expected or wanted any gifts, and would be mortified if people thought that is why I sent the announcements. That’s what baby showers are for. 

@Ladylaughsalot Did you specify "No gifts please?"  If not, people assume you want a gift. 

Esteemed Contributor

Do you talk to your friend frequently, or see her very often? It seems to be reaching a bit to send a birth announcement to the friend of the grandmother. If you are really close friends who communicate often, then I might send a small baby gift. If not super close, then I'd just send a congratulatory note or card.