Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest for October 2022

@Bird mama wrote:

Well I think I mentioned I was happy with the first fence estimate on this thread.  In general it was a pleasant experience.  Later that night I read the disclaimers and section of the form about 'responsibility'.  In order to make sure I was reading it correctly I read it at least 15 times. This company basically says the fence installation is my responsibility even if they come in like a wrecking ball and break something.  Okay 99% of the job is on dirt/land - no cables, wires, gas lines or anything under it.  2% of the job involves removing/replacing a chain link fence post right next to my house.  One of the posts is dangerously close to the A/C line that runs from the A/C into my basement.  I just paid good money last year to have a new HVAC system installed.

So..... I've scheduled an estimate with another company (next Saturday), filled out one of those online forms to request an estimate from a 3rd company and am ready to get a 4th estimate if need be.

Days like these I really miss having my husband around to discuss this kind of thing.  

@Bird mama   This may be on the line of what people have to sign before a surgery, but DH says it isn't so as if the medical profession damages a person and/or kills them, they are indeed responsible no matter what the patient signed. 

It is always good to get as many estimates as one feels comfortable with.  I will be doing the same regarding tree pruning next year, will cost an arm and a leg, but I will go for the least expensive, as long as I deem them knowledgeable.

One company came for an estimate, and we didn't leave the driveway, didn't want to walk around, and said $25,000 and they would do whatever I wanted.  I would have to tell the workers upon arrival what needed doing, imagine the time and money I would be paying every day to do this.  I do keep an eye on any worker here, especially regarding the trees to make certain they don't do more than I think is necessary.  I have been living with these trees and having them pruned for thirty-seven years, so I know them better than anyone.

This was a no go.  I want someone to walk around with me to discuss specific trees and what needs doing, and what I don't want.

I had several gutter cleaners come for estimates, and after the tree pruning, will call the one I liked, as the trees dump tons on the roof and into the gutters, but with hardly any rain for years, hasn't been a problem with the gutters, though I know they will have to be dug out, lol, rather than blowing the debris out.

Honored Contributor

hello all

you would not believe for 2 days i was cussed out. tonight was at church. 3 old people (don't know their names) sit behind dh and me at church and talk thru the whole church service, they talk about anything and everything for an hour, come to find out (which I found out tonight) they are mom/daughter,but do not live together, the mother has hearing aids and she may think she is talking softly but she is talking aloud., I finally had enough turned around and asked them take their talking to the vestibule, well the old man,he sits with the 2 ladies at times, he got so irate, he began to yell at me, it looked like he was ready to take a swing at me (out the corner of my eye i saw his fist/hand come up) one of the ladies caught his hand so he could not do anything. so that was tonight

last night i was taking a walk with my neighbor lady who has a pit bulll on leash, well one of the streets we took a family had their 2 large dogs outside , only 1 dog was chained the other dog a pit bull was loose,well their dog charged at us full force ( I began to scream) yelling for them to get their dog and chain them up.I was screaming for them to get their dog all they did was call the dog back to them,the dog was not listening.he was charging at us. well two of the neighbors on other side of street came out of their house. one older neighbor/man-woman told me to get out of their and don't come back,our dog was ok to get moving, then another neighbor came out the house and began screaming at me for what I could not understand her,i told her i was not talking to her,well she flying off her front steps and charged at me full force. she told me to get off her yard, i was in the middle of the street. her car is tagged in PA, so i am pretty sure she is from philly.

this is my 2 days. am exhausted later guys

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@viva923 wrote:

hello all

you would not believe for 2 days i was cussed out. tonight was at church. 3 old people (don't know their names) sitbehinddhhh and me at church andtalkthruuu the whole church service, they talk about anything and everything for an hour, come to find out (which I found out tonight) they are mom/daughter,but do not live together, the mother has hearing aids and she may think she is talking softly but she is talking aloud., I finally had enough turned around and asked them take their talking to the vestibule, well the old man,he sits with the 2 ladies at times, he got so irate, he began to yell at me, it looked like he was ready to take a swing at me (out the corner of my eye i saw his fist/hand come up) one of the ladies caught his hand so he could not do anything. so that was tonight

last night i was taking a walk with my neighbor lady who has apitbulllll on leash, well one of the streets we took a family had their 2 large dogs outside , only 1 dog was chained the other dog a pit bull was loose,well their dog charged at us full force ( I began to scream) yelling for them to get their dog and chain them up.I was screaming for them to get their dog all they did was call the dog back to them,the dog was not listening.he was charging at us. well two of the neighbors on other side of street came out of their house. one older neighbor/man-woman told me to get out of their and don't come back,our dogwasokkk to get moving, then another neighbor came out the house and began screaming at me for what I could not understand her,i told her i was not talking to her,well she flying off her front steps and charged at me full force. she told me to get off her yard, i was in the middle of the street. her car is tagged in PA, so i am pretty sure she isfromphillyyy.

this is my 2 days. am exhausted later guys

@viva923  Viva, I don't know how you can stand living in that area, seems to be no limit of uncivilized people there.  Now that I stay home mostly, I don't have to deal with anyone, never have had the experiences you have. 

Any dog found wandering around in this state, can be taken to the pound as there is a leash law.  First, the cops will come to the person's house if someone complains, and they have three shots to stop the dog from barking at all hours or whatever the issue is, then they will be fined.  

There was an old neighbor woman next door, and husband.  Her dog was, I found out later, a skittish dog,  so what did they do, when they would go out, they left a window open so the dog could go outside to the road and bark for hours on end.

I complained to them, but no luck.  I finally called the cops and they left a note on her front door.  She had the nerve to call me and tell me she didn't appreciate that I did that, and I told her I did not appreciate her letting her dog bark all night long, said DH had to get up to go to work so needed to sleep, and she said so did her husband, to which I replied, "it is YOUR dog," so you are responsible to keep it from being the noisy nuisance it was.  The woman died within a few years or so.

Then, one of their adult children and spouse moved in with the Dad, and brought three dogs.  It was a nightmare!  When I called, he said the dogs weren't his, and I said they are on your property so you are responsible, etc., etc.  

I have never let any of my dogs bark.  I had a tiny bell that my Mother gave me from her trip to India, and when I heard my barker, a three-legged Sheltie/Keeshond mix barking, I rang the bell and he would come running, and into the house he would come.  I can't stand a barking dog, so why would anyone else.  The Husky/Lab I also had at the time never barked, my kind of dog.  My two will bark if they hear something, but when I tell them to be quiet, they obey, THANK GOODNESS!

A friend from long ago was braver than I.  We went to the movies one day, and the boys behind were talking about the ending of the movie, she turned around and yelled "SHUT UP," I don't want to know the ending of the movie before I have seen it, instant silence LOL.  I have just moved when this has happened to me, because talkers will not stop, they begin whispering, loudly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@viva923  I was raised Catholic and I was the kid who thought the modernization of the Church at the time (Vatican II) was too loosey-goosey.  I'm 60 years old and never accepted Communion in my hand.  You know when the Vatican rolls stuff out it takes a while to hit the local parishes so I made my First Communion under the pre-Vatican II rules.

My point in telling this is that I was the type of kid that didn't need to be nagged to go to Church.  I never wanted to be a nun or go into religious life but I liked going to Mass.

I look back at that time and smile when I think about that innocent and naive little girl.

I don't attend Mass regularly and I belong to no parish.  Nothing drastic or bombastic happened.  I did not suffer a crisis in faith.  My faith is as strong or stronger than it was when I was a child. 

I started paying attention to my fellow parishioners.  First they started dressing like bums going to a family reunion.  Excuse me, you are going to God's house, dress like it. No shorts, wear a flippen bra and find a skirt that covers your as*.  God don't wanna see that mess and neither do I.

Then they started talking through Mass.  Then as we were walking out of the Church I would hear fellow parishioners gossiping and washing the as*ses of other parishioners while they were still on the Chuch steps.

I came to the realization that that kind of fellowship I don't need. I'm sorry that the people in the pew behind you behaved in such a vulgar way in God's house.

Pit bull dogs get a bad rap because of their breed.  I don't care what kind of dog someone has, if the animal is not treated well and taught well, it's gonna act up.  It sounds like you have a irresponsible pet parent in your community.  My advice - pepper spray.  You can buy it online or look for it locally.  

Stupid transcends zip codes.  When I lived in Detroit the guy 2 doors down from us had a white pit bull -Daisy.  She used to leave the yard and sit on Ma's front porch.  Good Lord the chaos of the Sunday church parade to the end of the block was something to see when Daisy would leave the yard.  Men in suits, women in almost Easter finery screaming and trying to climb on cars when they saw Daisy.  She and the rest of my family looked at these people like they were insane.  Thankfully we convinced the neighbor to relinquish Daisy to an old guy two blocks over who treated Daisy like a queen.  Talk about a spotless clean dog that walked on a leash like she was leading a blind person.

I move to the suburbs and several years ago I see a pit bull running up and down the block.  I think oh no, not here too.  Dog's name was Rocco and he lived down the street.  Young guy thought that letting Rocco run the block in the evenings was a way to blow off steam.  Yea if Rocco ran somewhere other than my front yard.  I kid you not, just like the misfit humans of the world, the animals find me.  Rocco would sit in front of my front porch and bark for me.  Not a bad dog.  So I walked down the block and talked to the guy.  I said, look the dog is young and you live 3 houses from the main street where folks drive 65 MPH.  It's good that Rocco comes when you call but howsabout trying a harness and walking him in the evening?  Odds are if Rocco ever got hit by a car, I would be the one to see it when I get up early to drive to work. 

Guy knew I was talking to him with no judgement of him or the breed of dog.  I was coming from a place of concern and I told him that society had a warped opinion of pitbulls and I didn't want Rocco caught up in that.That ended Rocco's running wild in the evenings.

Your neighbors are not the kind of people you can talk to which is why I recommend pepper spray and a stick/bat.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  and everyone, here are pictures that were posted on my neighborhood site of the type of hummingbird that we have here, Anna's, this is a male.

Respected Contributor

@viva923 

Oh my goodness. You have had a rough couple of days. I know what it is like to have some not so nice neighbors and also some not so nice dogs. It's tough to deal with all of that and keep your sanity and wits about yourself. I would have been scared stiff too. Pitt bulls do have a reputation and one can never be 100% what the dog will do or can do. The dogs owner's are 100% responsible and you should have called the authorities to let them know so they could let the owner's know this is serious business. 

For the people in church, that's just down right pathetic. Some people are so rude and inconsiderate to other's and as I've gotten older, my tolerance is pretty low. I have found out that the "look" or stare will get their attention. If not then I just shake my head. 

Life is hard enough without all this aggravation.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl 

We never get this colorful hummingbirds here. They are gorgeous.

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama  and everyone, here are pictures that were posted on my neighborhood site of the type of hummingbird that we have here, Anna's, this is a male.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny   Compared to other types of hummers, these are considered plain, as are most of the birds, no cardinals here, or other colorful birds.  We do have Stellar Jays and scrub jays, blue, and once in a while some Goldfinch stop over.

Honored Contributor

hello all

not to much today

dried all clothes on lines today, sheet day for me. sheets and everything dried lickity split today, good breezy day full sunshine

got out 2 extra blankets for bedding today, yup that time of year, getting mighty cold at night and to early for heat in the house as of yet

not much else. later guys

Honored Contributor

hello all

chilly morn here

still don't have furnace turned on yet

contacted the hospital for the procedure I am having done on the 25th ,did find out they dont' call people till 12-24 hours pior to procedure have no idea as to when to begin the cleanse guess you just kind of guess and hope you got it correct.

did normal chores,have clothes to fold did get morn walk in,not much else.

later guys