Honored Contributor

Bird's Nest for October 2022

Welcome friends old and new to the Bird's Nest for October.

31 Photos of Autumn Birds You Need to See - Birds and Blooms

31 Photos of Autumn Birds You Need to See - Birds and Blooms

Bird In Orange Forest, Yellow Leaves. Long-eared Owl With Orange Oak Leaves  During Autumn. Wildlife Scene Fro Nature, Sweden. Animal In Fall Habitat.  Orange Oak Leaves With Beautiful Bird. Stock Photo, Picture

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest for October 2022

Let the sunshine in and a new month begin! Happy october

Honored Contributor

That's adorable @meallen616  thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the second weekend in a row I've found myself being observed by deer in the field behind my house.  It's happened before sunrise both times.  Last weekend I walked up to the back fence and just watched the 2 deer that I could see (there was a 3rd) foraging in the grass.  I said nothing and the largest deer was curious and approached by maybe 10 feet.  The deer was still halfway across the field.  This morning I was hanging out a fresh seed cake and the 3 deer were watching me maybe 2-3 feet from the other side of my back fence.  Again I said nothing.

This past summer I had the joy of watching, from a good distance, a fawn grow up in the field.

The state of Michigan has had deer management policies and practices in place for years.  Deer hunting has been popular for over a century.

When it comes to deer hunting and culling a deer herd that has become overpopulated I believe both types of activity should be performed by skilled individuals who know what they are doing.  Even in hunting there should be mercy.

There can be many reasons for deer herds to become too dense and overpopulated and I think mankind needs to be honest and accept responsibility for contributing to the issue when applicable.

For example, if the herds up north (where lots of hunting takes place) became oversized because of a mild winter where there was unexpected abundant food, then I look at that (even though I know man causes global warming) that the issue was more of a natural thing.  I would rather a deer be sent over the rainbow bridge by a skilled person than have it suffer an agonizing death from hunger or disease.

We have veterans organizations in our state that partner with communities when it comes to culled deer.  These organizations coordinate and pay for the cost of processing (?) the deer for meat and they make sure it goes to food banks etc.  This honors the animal that died because it didn't die in vain.  This I can get behind because our ancestors have lived off of the land since the beginning of time.

Now, If a community/town decides that they just don't have enough commercial or residential development and they clear land that for generations was the home of wildlife like deer, then yea I am going to have something disparaging about it.

I'm not a hypocrite and I struggle with hypocrisy in others.  Don't write policies to convince 'people like me' why its necessary to cull the deer.  They remember the beauty of natural resources, the importance of balancing the eco system when its convenient to support their position and then they clear lands to build more and chase the almighty $$.  

Trusted Contributor

thanks for the reminder Birdmama,in my last post about the deer I failed to mention that they use the deer meat and give it to shelters or kitchens to feed the needy.

Honored Contributor

HELLO ALL

not much here

it is very cool very cloudy. Ian dumped about 1 inch so far on us. roads have dried up.

not much else.

later guys

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text

Honored Contributor

May be an image of 1 person and text

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bird mama, how eloquent and beautifully stated.

"Even in hunting there should be mercy" speaks to your kindness and caring. 

Thank you for infusing reason, rationality, sensitivity and thoughtfulness into my day.

Bless you.