Respected Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest for May, 2018

As I have said on many an occasions, love the pictures put on this thread - so neat! Of course I am always so happy to see Conrad visit - a day does not go by that I do not think of him.

Filled the feeders yesterday and they are EMPTY already. Could be the heat - boy howdy it is suffocating - that means it feels thick! - and not real clean.

Have a zillion things to do today and Ricky is NOT behaving any too well. Poor little guy, wish the experts could find out exactly what is his problem - not for a lack of trying however.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

For the love of me,   I can't imagine killing a Sandhill Crane or Doves just to be killing something.  I only send mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, some flies, and brown recluse spiders over the Rainbow Bridge.  Even then I don't enjoy it.  It's only because they cause harm to us and animals.   I do knock off powdery mildew on plants.( Not sure if that's an 'animal' or not).  

We have a lot of doves here and they are welcome and safe.   They do build awful nests, flimsy and not in safe areas.   As for the cranes, I go looking for them in Florida just to see them and marvel at the beauty and grace they have.   They are awesome birds I think, and shame on those who kill them.   Surely farmers can spare a bit of corn for the critters they have misplaced by taking the bird's home areas to do their farming.  It happens all over the place. 

Native species who have ancestral home areas are being pushed out by human expansion and greed.   I'd vote against every law to allow hunting these critters and that includes the buffalo and wolves out by Yellowstone, if anybody follows what goes on out there with the ranchers and their cows who encroach on the land that's home to the wolves and buffalo.   I don't like  hunting( unless it is necessary for food and survival)  and despise trophy hunting. I usually end up ranting on FaceBook about tropy hunting and poaching and am surprised I haven't been banned.   Too bad the animals can't shoot back.      Raising animals and birds for food is a totally different matter, I think.   I know deer hunting is necessary, but there again, I think part of the over population of deer is due to man killing off the predators of deer, ie, wolves, coyotes, bears, pumas etc.  The balance of nature has been upset by human activities. 

Ok, I'm off my soapbox and hope you had a nice Saturday.   My daughter and one granddaughter went to Chili's to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.  Margaritas were on special and they were so good.   I love most Tex-Mex foods and had beef enchiladas.  So good.  Love their 'street corn', roasted and well seasoned with jalapenos, parsley, butter, etc.  Awesome!!Heart

Honored Contributor

Plant These to Help Save Bees 16x20" Poster *or* 8x10" Print

Honored Contributor

Cute and Creative Container Garden Ideas

Honored Contributor

cutecat_ilzeqn2t.gif 240×320 pixels

Honored Contributor

Da cozinha saem lindos cachepots e vasos de panelas, chaleiras e travessas antigas e até mesmo conchas de sopa podem ser super charmosas em algum cantinho de destaque em sua casa.

Honored Contributor

A..DOR...A...BULLY !                                                                                                                                                      More                                                                                                                                                     More

Luvs,   Congrats on the sale of your other home.   It must be a big relief for you and DH to have everything in one place and  you can take your time getting it all unpacked and organized without running to and from the other house.

I hope you are feeling well.   It's been a bad sinus spring? with so much pollen here and in Florida.  My car has been 'changing color' due to the pollen from the oaks and others and now the walnuts and pecans are blooming so the pollen is covering everything again after the heavy rain a few days back washed the air and cars etc clean of pollen.  

We have been having to put food in the feeders twice a day.   Have a pair of Indigo Buntings feeding on the ground area with the Cardinals and Doves, and Sparrows.    The Brown Thrasher has been over in that area too.   I haven't seen our Mockingbirds lately and haven't a clue as to what happened to them or where they might be.  Chimney Swifts are back and they make my day.   Such cheerful little birds.   I do miss my Juncos though. Heart

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor