Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest for May, 2018

@possummink wrote:

Ireth Alcarin

Am heading for Texas in the morning with my brothers and daughter for a wedding.   Hope to keep up with posts, and will post when I can get the chance. 

Have a lovely Thursday and be well and safe. Heart

@possummink  Safe trip, and have fun. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@possummink  Safe journey to you Possum and best wishes to the couple for a lifetime of love and happiness.

Looking forward to details about the wedding when you are able.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Friday Morning!

I have a bit of wildlife situation that would surely benefit from good thoughts and prayers if you can spare some.

Yesterday evening I was sitting in my office and I heard an animal sound.  At first I thought it was a squirrel in one of the big maple tree branches outside the upstairs window.  Sometimes they vocalize and it sounds like a kid in distress.

I looked out the open window and didn't see a squirrel.  I did see a mother duck walking along the street with three little ducklings. I jumped up and ran out of doors to get her and the kids off of the street.  Soon I learned why she was lingering - she was walking along the curb and some of her kids fell through the sewer grate in the street.  This is across the street from my house. 

There is also a sewer grate on my side of the street.  These sewers have corrugated plastic (?) pipes that run from house to the street (I think).  There is also a big concrete pipe that runs across the street (under the street).  Suffice it to say, it's a maze down there.

The sewer grate across the street was more or less sealed into place with concrete when they re-did my street a couple of years ago.  "My" sewer grate is not sealed and was fairly easy to lift and remove (coulda been the adrenaline).

Ducklings ended up crossing over to my side of the street.  During all of this I met my new neighbors two doors down.  The lady asked if I was okay.  I told her what was going on and she got her husbad.  I rigged a basket on a cord (had nothing else) and once the kids came out of the pipes into the main area, the wife and husband blocked the entrances with rakes so I could try to scoop the ducklings up.  I think I got 3 that way.

The young guy called his dad who owned a fishing net (on a pole).  The guy said his dad lived on the other side of the major street south of me and didn't use the net.  They called the dad.

Dad came and we ended up fishing out a total of 7 or 8 ducks.  Young guy said 8.  I was too busy wiping them down and reuniting them with Mom who had taken her kids under a shrub a few doors down across the street.

Here's the rub - there was one duckling who went back through the concrete pipe and is under the sewer grate that is cemented in place.  It kept chirping and I was trying everything I could at the time to get that duckling to cross back over.

By then, neighborhood men had gathered to talk amongst themselves like old farts do.  The young guy's father started making jokes like he loves doves, with a side of rice.

I asked him if I could please keep his fishing net over night - his son knew where I lived.  Guy said no, he rented it for $10 and had to take it back.  I said, oh your son said you owned it.  He said, I don't.  I said, that was pretty quick renting a net after you got the call -does home depot rent these?  He looked at me like I was stupid and said no.  I said, okay does home depot SELL these?  He said no.  I said would a sporting goods store have them?  He said this would cost you $100.

I said, well God Bless the child who has her own :-)

It was dark and around 9:30 when I said it was done and thanked everyone for helping.   The duckling was still chirping for her Ma and my heart was breaking.  I disinfected everything that was near the sewer and pitched the basket I used which was difficult to work with.  I begged St Francis to calm the duckling and keep it safe or if it was meant to go to heaven, just let it fall asleep and cross the bridge.

I've been up since crack o dawn and my kids are all taken care of.  I ran outside and the duckling is still alive, it was chirping when I looked.

I have an idea.  Since I don't have a duck call but I do have a really nice olympus digital recorder that my husband bought me, I went to youtube and recorded a mama duck talking to her ducklings.  I recorded several minutes of it.  I made my own extra long lanyard and will be able to lower the recorder deep enough on my side of the street so the baby duckling can hear it across the street (under ground).

As soon as home depot is open (just 2 miles from me) I am going to buy this pool leaf rake.  I will buy the telescoping adjustable pole that goes with it.  Mama duck is long gone with her 11 kids so if I get the duckling out, I guess I will be learning what to do to raise a duckling.  Did I mention?  It's barely 40 degrees here and we're going to have a cold snap.  That the duckling survived the night is a miracle.  Please pray that I am successful

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

my hero

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all  It's nice of you to say however I am not feeling really heroic right now.  I hurried over to Home Depot as soon as it opened and bought the net and pole.  I went outside, bundled up, with a kneeling pad, gloves, flashlight, ducks sounds on the recorder and a cup of coffee. 

In a matter of 2 hours since I heard the duckling chirping, there is no sound now.  The bird sounded so strong around 7:30 this morning.  I played the duck sounds in the sewer grate where I last saw the duckling.  I shined a flashlight - nothing.

I've been playing sounds in both sewers.  Nothing.  I don't know if the little one fell over from hypothermia or if it wandered down the pipe a ways.

I am having a bowl of cereal and some more coffee.  I went to youtube and found a video of mama duck coaxing her babies out of the nest.  I recorded that multiple times.  Also added the recording of baby ducklings to it- maybe the little one will think a sibling is down there with it.

I asked my little St Francis statue above the kitchen sink  (was my Ma's), Francis if this wasn't going to be successful, why let me hear the duck this morning?  I have all I need to save the duck.  Please help me save the duck.

Trusted Contributor

I pray you'll find the duckling alive.  I would love to hear stories about your new friend.   

Please let us know how how it goes. 

Honored Contributor

One of the gifts that I received for my retirement was a donation to a wildlife rescue organization in Michigan that also takes in the forgotten birds (sparrows, pigeons, starlings).  I received a lovely thank you card from the lady who runs it a few weeks after I retired.

Since they've seen it all, I called them to find out the odds of survival for the duckling.  She said that if I hadn't heard anything all morning that likely the duckling passed away due to hypothermia.  She didn't tell me anything to feel bad about - she just said that it was too bad that the guy didn't loan me the net over night because this morning at 7:30 gave me a limited time to try the rescue. 

I'm pretty sure she was trying to make me feel better when she said I could go out for 10 minutes hour on the hour until dark.

It's cold and raining and the street water is flowing into the sewer.  I dressed up, armed with a flashlight and duck recording and tried one more time.  The water is getting high enough to back up into the drains running in all directions.

I'm grateful we got 8 out and reunited with their mother.  My heart is heavy for the one that died alone.  

I'm sure there is a lesson for me in this experience.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what that is right now.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

You have done more than any mortal would or could have done...makes me think seriously about becoming a vegetarian again...you are the Jane Goodall of the birds

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Justice4all  It's nice of you to say however I am not feeling really heroic right now.  I hurried over to Home Depot as soon as it opened and bought the net and pole.  I went outside, bundled up, with a kneeling pad, gloves, flashlight, ducks sounds on the recorder and a cup of coffee. 

In a matter of 2 hours since I heard the duckling chirping, there is no sound now.  The bird sounded so strong around 7:30 this morning.  I played the duck sounds in the sewer grate where I last saw the duckling.  I shined a flashlight - nothing.

I've been playing sounds in both sewers.  Nothing.  I don't know if the little one fell over from hypothermia or if it wandered down the pipe a ways.

I am having a bowl of cereal and some more coffee.  I went to youtube and found a video of mama duck coaxing her babies out of the nest.  I recorded that multiple times.  Also added the recording of baby ducklings to it- maybe the little one will think a sibling is down there with it.

I asked my little St Francis statue above the kitchen sink  (was my Ma's), Francis if this wasn't going to be successful, why let me hear the duck this morning?  I have all I need to save the duck.  Please help me save the duck.

@Bird mama  I had no idea as I just now read your posts.  It is sad to think the little one didn't make it, but thanks to you, so many others did.  As you said, I used to say there is a reason why things happen, but I had a horrific experience with one of my cats over a decade ago, still traumatized by it, and I can say that there was absolutely no reason that it had to happen, nothing to be learned by it, and so unfair to someone like me who bends over backwards for any animal to keep it safe, but such is life, it isn't fair, as we know.

Honored Contributor

To all my friends in the Bird's Nest

Image result for happy mothers day card with birds

Have a slice of lemon pound cake.  It tastes good with coffee or tea.

Related image