Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest for December 2022

@Bird mama wrote:

We had a dusting of snow yesterday morning and this morning.  It's much colder because of the wind this morning.  I caught the weather forecast this morning and it looks like some kind of storm is coming by the end of the week.  I hope we get some snow because that really makes Christmas feel like Christmas for me, lol.

@Bird mama   No snow in my area, but it is so cold, and I always hope for a grey Christmas day because, as you said, it seems more like christmas.  I hope you get snow. Smiley Happy  and build a snowman, :").

Trusted Contributor

leeney,well  girl I got you beat. Went grocery shopping today and spent over $245.00 ,yikes! 😱🥴

starting to get cold here already.

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean 

Yikes, that's a lot of groceries. I know prices are out of sight and I don't see them going down anytime soon. I still need to get ground chuck to make my meatballs on Friday. Also there seems to be a shortage of cream of tarter. I know that seems strange. 

Plus being my DD eats gluten free items, that makes for good times also. That stuff is so expensive, but she's worth it. 

Darn cold here and cloudy. More snow coming in too. 

The major accomplishment today is getting all the laundry finished. Now that's fun. I have my GS's gifts to wrap and then I am going to call it a day.

@Epicurean wrote:

leeney,well  girl I got you beat. Went grocery shopping today and spent over $245.00 ,yikes! 😱🥴

starting to get cold here already.

Honored Contributor

Yea I would have nodded out during that play myself @viva923 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Since we're talking about our latest $shopping trip @Epicurean  and @Leeny   I spent $232 and there was no meat.  Come to think of it there really wasn't much food in the cart either - mostly household stuff. Like run of the mill household stuff - nothing like new towels or linens or anything fun.

Honored Contributor

You know I thought the Christmas tree was all done when I added two strands of C6 lights.  Low and behold by Saturday evening I look at the tree which had been lit since I woke and I see like three rows of darkness.  I said you son of a pup, more or your mini lights cr@pped out.  Lucky for me I had one more unused strand of C6 lights in the garage addition.  I brought them inside and gave them a couple of hours to warm up and I kind of fit them into the dark spots.

I'm enjoying the tree once again and even though I don't want to wish the holiday season away I am thinking of the day, next month, after I take the tree down, when I will be rewiring the lights.

To be on the safe side if I can find one more strand of C6 lights at Meijers when I hit the store this week I'm buying a box.

Honored Contributor

I have not seen GG the groundhog since August and assumed its hibernating now like the Chippy the chipmunk.  I was excited to see a possum in my backyard two weeks ago when I stepped out in the dark to spill out the birdbath water so it wouldn't ice up overnight.  The motion detector on the patio light came on when I stepped out of the family room onto the patio and I saw the possum.  I backed up and said pardon me and stepped back inside.

Tonight it was dark when I decided I should probably check the mailbox.  I don't turn on the porch light when I step on the front porch because I have a yard light that illuminates the mailbox (but not behind the evergreen shrub in front of the porch).  The Christmas lights around the porch were on but they weren't bright enough to illuminate the area behind the shrub in front of the porch.

When I took one step out and reached for the opening of the mail box (it's on a post) I heard leaves rustle under the evergreen shrub and something went under the front porch.  Wonder what it was - kinda looked to be almost cat sized.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

Oh those darn Christmas tree lights. I know I thought I was going to have an issue that first day I put them on our tree. I have 300 lights on when I checked them and when I went to turn them on later the lower part of the strand was out. I was thinking oh no you don't. So I wiggled and jiggled a few and when I went on the other side they all were on. I don't know what the deal was, but I am hoping they stay lit until next month too. 

My lit wreath I have inside the house is beginning to look like it's getting dimmer. I suppose more batteries will be needed soon. My water globe that I purchased from the Q last year needs batteries too. So tomorrow will be another day to shop.. ugh

Beginning Wednesday evening we are looking at a doozer of a storm coming. Looks like about 10" of snow. Who was saying they want a white Christmas? I know we all do, but then it could leave by Monday. It's spitting snow right now and is so cold. I dread going out tomorrow, but I need to take DH over for some lab work. 

There is never a dull moment it seems. By the way, what are doing for Christmas Eve/Christmas? I hope your weather will not infringe on your activities. I am beginning to wonder if our Son and his wife will be able to travel on Saturday???

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

I think I would have waited until morning to get the mail. Also if I had heard that swishing in the bushes I would have had a heart attack. I am not brave like you are. My luck it would have been a skunk or a rat. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Leeny My sister is coming over on Christmas Day.  I was on the phone with my sister when I stepped out to check the mail, I had her on speaker.  It was one of those instances where I still kind of had my right foot in the door, holding up the storm, my left foot was near the edge of the porch floor, my left hand was holding the phone and my right hand was reaching for the mailbox door when I heard and saw the rustling. 

We've got some irresponsible cat owners on the block and I had a feeling it wasn't a cat they run like bats out of Hades when they see people they don't know.  I said to my sister ooh something is rustling in the leaves here.  I really wish I would have seen what it was.  The groundhog should really not be out and about at this time of year.  At least I don't think so.  It didn't smell so it wasn't the skunk and I would think that a possum would have shown better even in the dark.

I'm confident that it wasn't a rat.  As I knock on the woodwork around my window (tap, tap, tap) the worst that we see is the occasional field mouse.  I hope whatever it is that it's doing okay.  I am accustomed to the occasional tenant under the porch, I would hate for something to pass away under there.  PS My porch is poured concrete so it's not easy to look under.