Honored Contributor

Hello friends and visitors and Welcome to the Nest

Now that August is here, it appears breeding season is slowing down in my back yard.  I have a yard full of juvenilles who will be starting their own families next spring.

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest for August 2016

@Bird mama

Question for you: what is causing this baby goldfinch at our mountain place to keep tapping on the high window and fluttering up and down, then starting the routine over and over.  It then went to the other side of the room and did the same thing on the upper Windows there.

Th afternoon sun was on the other side of the house.  No AM sun today.

DH said he kept it up for over two hours yesterday.  This early AM I saw it start again but for only a few minutes.  Maybe the oncoming rain made it fly away.

at a loss to figure out how to help the creature.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

He probably thinks it it his mom.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Bird mama!

I thought of you earlier today as I watched my bluebird house for the 5 new babies to fledge!

It should be in the next few days, making 10 babies this year!

But in the 15 years we've had our bluebird boxes, I can never manage to see them fledge and I'm up at 5AM!

They're sneaky little boogers! LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jlkz

If the bird sees it's reflection it could be confused and think it's another goldfinch.  Do you see any other goldfinches around?

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

So far I was lucky to see a couple of the sparrows fledge.  5 born (2 clutches) 5 fledged successfully.  I'd swear they wait until I turn my back.  They can be hanging on the edge of the doorway of the house and I turn to throw something in the garbage can and they take a flying leap and I miss it.

Honored Contributor

So, here's my outdoor bird excitement this week.  As we all know, my house acts like a rehab (long term care), bed and breakfast (just need a couple of days) and hospice (even when they are ready to cross over they find me).

Well, yesterday afternoon I see a remarkable male sparrow in trouble. No seizures or twirling, just a male sparrow, wings fluffed up (in the heat) and the last bird on the patio when others fly away (never a good sign).

I made a couple of attempts to get him and he evaded me.  I thought about just leaving him out there - he was eating, but he seemed to be having trouble eliminating and was not drinking water.

So I'm standing at the kitchen window and have to look past the St. Francis on the windowsill (was my Ma's).  I ask Francis, so, dude, why drop the bird on my patio and then make it hard for me to catch him?

I grabbed a large lingerie bag and waited until dusk.  Every other bird had gone to roost for the night.  I was in and out of shrubs, lol, but I got the bird.  I had an incubator set up for him in the house already.  I took him to the bathroom, and used a moist q-tip (lukewarm water) to clean his little butt.  I then gave him water via glass medicine dropper and set him up in the basket on the heating pad.

He made a shtoopie, which made me happy and seemed to be comfy. Gave him some more water, then settled him down for the night.

He was alive when I awoke this morning and seemed peppier than yesterday, but still not like a healthy bird.  I gave him some water, he had eaten some seed in the habitat and I said, you want to spend the day with your 'people'?  He's been outside since this morning.  I was home early (1/2 day) and have been watching him.  I've seen this enough times to know that bird is on his way out.  As it stands, he seems to be enjoying the fellowship of the other sparrows.

I'll bring him in tonight and bed him down inside. 

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

No, this is the only finch I've seen here so far this summer.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz

Well, I don't know how far from family that a young goldfinch will travel.  I would assume a young goldfinch wouldn't be that far from the nest or hatching spot.  I wonder if the poor thing is lost.

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama you made me smile Smiley Happy