Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest - September 2018

[ Edited ]

@possummink  I fried okra last night!  I used your recipe, very good, and tried a few others just for fun, only a few pieces for each recipe, all good, so let's face it, I love fried, crispy food, lol.  My Father used to use okra in his tomato stew and I loved the slimy, but no slimy in the fried, and that is good.  I may have more for myself tonight, DH won't want it two days in a row. Smiley Happy

As I have said before, I know how difficult it is for you to leave Florida, so much change to your life almost overnight, but I am also excited for you to be home for a while, doing everything you never had time to do, lots of gardening, seeing your family that is near you there, enjoying the different seasons, and tending to your two houses, and I am hoping in a short time, you will feel much better about it.  Think ahead to vacations in Hawaii. Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

WE had a good day but ricky seems to not feel so well - he has spent the last two days swimming - may have gotten to him. LOL. He does have ear problems sometimes when he does that - at least NO temp. That is good.

We had a pot roast with baby carrots, sweet onion and broccoli in the slow cooker. Red skin baked potatoes on the side - very good.

Everyone is super tired School back in tomorrow after a three day holiday - hope Ricky makes it - he missed his first day of school last week. Sigh.

Sleep well everyone By the way, I LOVe fried okra.

Honored Contributor

Irish Setter dog art portraits, photographs, information and just plain fun. Also see how artist Kline draws his dog art from only words at drawDOGS.com #drawDOGS http://drawdogs.com/product/dog-art/irish-setter-two-dog-portrait-by-stephen-kline/ He also can add your dog's name into the lithograph.

Honored Contributor

"Nope. I haven't seen the cat" Scottie

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Honored Contributor

Mousie,  I am so looking forward to a supper of fried okra, patty pan squash with tomatoes and onions,  fresh tomatoes etc.   The list goes on.   

I freeze okra to add to my beef, barley and vegetable soup.  I make several batches of it during the Autumn and Winter months.  It has a lot of vegetables in it along with wild rice, mushrooms, etc.   I use an arm roast to start it off with dried butter beans and after those are pretty well cooked start adding the other ingredients.   Usually it's a pretty thick soup.   We all love okra at home.   

I am glad I'll be able to be home a lot more.   I love being here with my son and his family, but I miss home and know my brother is lonely with just Mattie and our two outside kitties.  He's not in the best of health, so I'll feel better being close to keep an eye on him and make sure he eats better.   He can cook some things but not really healthy stuff.  

My son and his wife are flying to Hawaii for several days to look for a house or condo to rent.   That way they'll know what to have shipped and what to store.   They took a big load to the storage place yesterday,  Got lots more to decide on.   I can't wait to start downsizing all the stuff I have at home and don't need any more, if I ever needed it in the first place.  

I'm glad you enjoyed the okra,  makes my mouth water.   Such an easy but delicious food.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Fried Yellow Squash from Food.com: This recipe is an old favorite. I am certain everyone prepares it this way at sometime or another. I can't imagine a summer that would pass without having this at least once a week when the harvest is in

Winifred,   If I remember correctly you mentioned fried squash and i was wondering if it resembled the above when you fixed it.   I love squash any way it's fixed and most of all patty pan or white scallop squash.   I just boil it with onions and add tomatoes to it when it's just about done.  I drain it several times and then add fresh ground pepper and butter,  a meal I just love.   I do the same to yellow squash and zucchini but don't always add tomatoes to those squash.   

Your pot roast supper sounds so good.   Love meals like that and hope to fix lots of them when I get home.   My son doesn't 'cook southern'.   He's more into seafoods, which I love too, fish and pasta.   I like all of that but miss vegetables.  I like to cook pork roast with potatoes, carrots, onions, and maybe even sweet potatoes and a rich gravy, also make soups and stews etc.    

I hope Ricky is ok and can make it to school.   Hopefully he's just worn out from all the swimming.  I know when we go to the beach, the saltwater, sun, sand and the rest of it wears me out totally.  Of course I'm decades older than Ricky, and that's part of my tiredness.   Take care of yourself and I hope Miss Blackie is doing ok and Ditty too. Heart

Honored Contributor

So pretty! =^..^= www.kittyprettygifts.com #cats #lolcats #memes #kitty

Honored Contributor

@possummink  I am growing cozelle squash this year, we ate the two in the picture several days ago.  I think it has a slight difference in taste to zucchini which I like, but I love zucchini, and I ike it soft also, usually steam/fry in extra virgin olive oil, then might add garlic or onions, but usually nothing but salt and pepper.DSCF7585.JPG

Respected Contributor

When I fried the white squash it looked like that. For some strange reason the white squash is no longer here in Sou Cal except for little tiny things. The white squash I grew up with was fairly large and it was called summer squash. Sure miss it as it was my favorite.. The yellow squash I sill fry is cooked in  frying pan with onions and is not sliced per say. When I put it in the fan, yes, but stirring and cooking it gets  very soft and no sign it ever was sliced - OK with me, I love it.

The cat picture reminds me of Stripes - miss that independent cat also - he left way too soon and was not even five years old = almost, but not quite. Shortly will have to get out an make my trek to feed Ditty.

Ricky slept until about 30 minutes ago - he has no fever so may send him to school. He is playing on his IPad but he slept very well and for a long time. Still do not like to see him up so early. LOL.

Have a good day everyone - yep, another super chilly morning.