Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest - September 2018

Image may contain: bird

Honored Contributor

Good Morning full of happy moments

Respected Contributor

I roared when I saw the picture of Conrad with the dirty face. He loved to dig up plants - did not do it daily but enough to where I TRIED to explain to him how hard it was to clean his face. LOL. Great picture Possum.

Filled the feeders yesterday - about time - so the feathered ones were super happy.

Hope all have a great day!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Hello Birding Friends, how's it going?

I guess I'd call it harvest time in my backyard as the nuts are falling off of the walnut tree like nobody's business.  Right about this time of year I have to remind myself that it only happens once a year Woman Tongue

Presto's molt is progressing on schedule and she has new feathers on both wings and can fly like a bullet again.  Her new tail feathers are coming in and the speed in which they grow never gets old.  It's like watching a miracle unfold in front of my eyes.

Grayson new set of feathers looks pretty good too.  

The hawk got a pigeon in the yard yesterday after I cut the grass.  I grabbed the bucket to gather more walnuts and noticed feathers in the back right corner of the yard.  I'm sorry the bird got it however I was happy the hawk made it a 'carryout' order. 

If I recall correctly this is the second pigeon that the hawk got since spring.  This is actually a low number compared to previous years but you know how that goes - we hate to see any kind of loss.

Circle of life, sigh.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Hmm I looked out of my kitchen window and saw a black squirrel laying in the grass.  When I opened the door and the squirrel didn't move immediately I thought oh no, did the hawk go after a squirrel?

I could tell the squirrel was breathing so I squatted down (didn't crowd the squirrel) and started talking softly.  The squirrel had a problem putting all of it's weight on the left front arm and left back leg.  It moved slowly and I came inside and brought it out some unsalted peanuts.  The little one ate and then moved around from my yard to 2 yards down.  To be honest it went 2 yards down because I tried to pick it up in the flower bed in my neighbor's front yard.  The squirrel was out in the open.

I decided not to stress the squirrel out because it could move, albeit awkwardly.  I have supplies at the ready should the squirrel come back to my yard and decide to plop out in the open.

My goal is to keep it safe from predators as night falls.  I not only have to worry about the hawk (even though the hawk prefers doves) I have that ignorant neighbor who lets his cats prowl. 

I don't know if the squirrel will ever be able to climb a tree again however I would like it to have a fair shot at recovery.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Image may contain: sky, twilight, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature

Honored Contributor

Coffee can make me squirrelly....

Bernie.   I hope your little squirrel makes it ok.   I wonder if it was hit by a car and managed to make it safely to your back yard.  

Be careful picking it up.  I did that to a small squirrel that one of the cats had injured.  I picked him up to put him in a tree and he bit me over and over because I wouldn't fling him off of my hand and held on to him till I got him to the tree,  then I went to the hospital, my doctor told me to, and got a tetanus shot booster.    I knew the little thing was scared, hurting and didn't know me from a cat.  

It was in the mid 90ies here again today with showers this morning to boost the humidity and then some thunderstorms this afternoon.   

Got so many boxes to unpack from Florida.   17 years worth of sheets, clothes, books, knicknacks, and other stuff.  Unbelievable that I can accumulate so much 'stuff''.   Need to sort and give away most of it.  Got started cleaning spices, old bottles, that I don't use much and that have been sitting for years.   Need to downsize so much.  

Have a good Thursday and hopefully your squirrel will be doing fine. Heart