Honored Contributor

Bird's Nest (Sept. 2019) The Migration Begins

[ Edited ]

Welcome dear friends old and new to the Bird's Nest.

Image result for september migratory birds

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

Image result for september migratory birds

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: The Migration Begins at the Bird's Nest (Sept. 2019)

The first post for the month was from @luvsbulldogs 

Sorry for not posting sooner.  Things have been hectic here.  Our computer which we use for both business and pleasure was slowly dying.  It was old and we were still using Windows 7.  We decided to have a new one built locally and it took 3 weeks from start to finish but it was well worth the wait.

The fellow that owns the business where we had it built was great and really helped us a lot.  He transferred everything over and taught me a lot.  he even helped me with getting a new printer set up.  He did not charge us for all the help so we will be getting him a gift card as a thank you.  The process took 3 days because we also had to have the accountants people come over to set up Quickbooks Pro.  So I am now learning how to use Windows 10. 

As for me I am not doing so good.  Besides my Crohns still acting up I awoke one morning 3 weeks ago and could not get out of bed.  I have a lot of pain in my right leg and have been for tests and have had several diagnosis.  I have a lot of appointments this month including a colonoscopy for my Crohns.  I am still hobbling around and also broke down and bought a cane. 

I tried to read up as much as I could as it is very painful to sit at the computer.  @birdmama  I read that you have a guest and his name is Finley.  Not sure if you still have him but you are such a dear to do what you do. 

@PossumminkI saw the pics of your new great grandson and he is precious.  Also saw your post of the adorable bulldog and asking how I am doing.  Thanks for the pic and your concern, 

@WinifredI also read that you are going for treatments and sure do hope that you are doing well.

@mousiegirlhow are things in Ca.?  How are your gardens doing? 

@hellienice to meet you.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their Holiday weekend!!!

Waving high to all the birders!!!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   wrote

@luvsbulldogs   I am so sad to hear that you are having so many health issues, no fun at all, and I hope all is resolved as soon as possible.

The tomatoes are a big flop, so far.  Earlier, something go into the cage and ate so many, so they are now trying to recover, but I doubt we will get any, most are green now.

The bells, basil, and eggplant are doing well, as well as the Fresno chiles.

I am getting ready to begin Fall decorating, collecting faux florals,  leaves, and branches mostly from Michael's, in between doing Fall work in the garden.

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs  then added

@mousiegirl  so sorry to hear about your tomatoes and that something ate them and that they are trying to recover!  I certainly do remember how disappointing it can be after such hard work.  Glad to hear that other veggies and plants are doing well. 

So glad to hear that you are getting ready for Fall decorating.  I love decorating for Fall and am hoping that I can do it this year.....we shall see. I will be looking for pics when you post them as you always do such a beautiful job.  Since our move I had to cut back on the decorating but everything is nicely packed in containers and so this year should be a lot easier than last year which was our first year here.

I hope that you and your family are well!!!

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  pardon the intrusion, but I keep meaning to ask you if have have ever gone to Magee Marsh, in Ohio? My son is a birder ,and he always goes here at least once a year. It is a flight pattern for migrating birds, especially warblers

Honored Contributor

@cherry   the thread is open to all Woman Happy  I've never been to Magee Marsh. 

Honored Contributor

My son photographs birds for a hobby. He has won some prizes ,and had his work published..He chose birds because they are hard to photograph

Honored Contributor

@cherry   Birds can be incredibly difficult to photograph Woman Very Happy  That's where the zoom function on a camera comes in really handy.

Honored Contributor

My hummingbirds are definitely getting ready for their migration south.  They won’t start leaving until the end of the month or the beginning of October, but they’re packing away that sugar water in anticipation.  The young ones are all out on their own now and I expect that in another week or two the migrators will start arriving on their way through.  That’s when things really get hectic.

Right now I’m filling feeders daily and go through about ten pounds of sugar a week.  When the last ones leave for good—usually about the middle of October—honestly, I’ll be glad to see them go.  They get to be too much work by the end of the summer.

Then it will be time to start feeding the songbirds.  (Although I’m trying to rush the cooler weather by already putting out one seed feeder.🤗)

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   I still have some young sparrows in the backyard that are trying to get their parents to feed them.  Young sparrows are funny.  I watch them eat by themselves and then when an adult gets near, they start to flutter their wings like they don't know how to eat Woman Very Happy