Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest (Sept. 2019) The Migration Begins

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  assuming that she lays a second one in the next 48 hours, the goal is to replace the real eggs with wooden dummy eggs. 

@Bird mama   What happenes to the real eggs?  Don't you want baby chicks, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl  The eggs will be destroyed. 

For 9 of his 10 years, Grayson (with my help) has gathered twiglets from the walnut tree.  Each spring he makes a nest in his man cave and sits on either his rubber chicken or small rubber ball. 

He has a natural instinct to want to brood something and I feel no joy or satisfaction in taking that away from him.  My little General is a father Heart

I've been giving this alot of thought as I watched Grayson court Finley.  Sure, he has an instinct to brood.  If I do nothing, does he have the instinct to partner with Finley to raise a baby?  What about Finley?  She abandoned the egg she laid the day or so after she arrived.  That was a traumatic experience for her all the way around.  I know she develops what appear to be viable eggs (I didn't poke around to look at today's egg) and she seems to be a bit more maternal with today's egg.  Does she have experience to raise a baby, possible alone if Grayson doesn't know how?

One thing I can say with certainty is that I don't know how to hand raise a squab. 

There's a website called Palomacy that I've visited since it was named Mickaboo.  It's a pigeon and dove rescue network.

I'm going to follow their recommendations to slow down egg laying  by replacing the natural eggs with fake eggs.  The most humane thing to do is to replace the natural eggs within the first couple of days of being laid before the embryos develop.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  The eggs will be destroyed. 

For 9 of his 10 years, Grayson (with my help) has gathered twiglets from the walnut tree.  Each spring he makes a nest in his man cave and sits on either his rubber chicken or small rubber ball. 

He has a natural instinct to want to brood something and I feel no joy or satisfaction in taking that away from him.  My little General is a father Heart

I've been giving this alot of thought as I watched Grayson court Finley.  Sure, he has an instinct to brood.  If I do nothing, does he have the instinct to partner with Finley to raise a baby?  What about Finley?  She abandoned the egg she laid the day or so after she arrived.  That was a traumatic experience for her all the way around.  I know she develops what appear to be viable eggs (I didn't poke around to look at today's egg) and she seems to be a bit more maternal with today's egg.  Does she have experience to raise a baby, possible alone if Grayson doesn't know how?

One thing I can say with certainty is that I don't know how to hand raise a squab. 

There's a website called Palomacy that I've visited since it was named Mickaboo.  It's a pigeon and dove rescue network.

I'm going to follow their recommendations to slow down egg laying  by replacing the natural eggs with fake eggs.  The most humane thing to do is to replace the natural eggs within the first couple of days of being laid before the embryos develop.

@Bird mama   Fascinating.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   I read that and saw this is my head Woman Very Happy

Image result for spock fascinating

I have to be practical.  Grayson and Finley will be the only unrelated birds.  After that, I'm looking at inbreeding.  If I don't manage this right, I will be doing a disservice to any offspring.  It sure as heck don't make me feel much better about it, but there you have it.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

I saw this pop up on FB, and I was going to tag you but you disappeared.  (Not a migratory picture though, just a cool one).

Image may contain: shoes and outdoor

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   Yea, I deactivated my facebook and messenger.  Can our mutual fashion friend from Chicago communicate with you via email?  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Yes.  I think I have yours from a while ago, but I NEVER check that account unless someone flags me to look there.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   I'll send our mutual friend an email and ask her to share it with you.  Sound like a plan?

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I've seen this video before and I adore this man and all he does for Malena and her mate. @lolakimono