Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest (Sept. 2019) The Migration Begins

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  sometimes the strangest things make me so emotional.  You had coverage for a very lomg time.  Sorry to see it go would be emotional for me too.  Good luck with your crown replacement.

Summer was a rainy one.  Four days of rain and 3 days of sunshine and heat.  Same last summer.  I am so ready for Fall.

Honored Contributor

Nature Good Morning Saturday Quote

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Such a pretty canvas @mousiegirl 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@possummink wrote:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

@possummink   I knew a woman who in between the cleaning company coming, when she passed by her dining room table and saw dust, she took her glasses off, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama   I responded to your post about the grit, but do not see your post or my response, weird.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl  I deleted my post and replaced it with this one.

I've got red pigeon grit coming from Des Moines Feed.  Finley's been going at Kaytee Hi Cal grit that served Grayson well for a decade.  Finley's calcium needs are different that Grayson's needs when it comes to calcium and minerals that are found in grit.

Grayson needs it to help him digest.  As a female Finley needs the calcium.  The Kaytee grit is too fine for Finley.

Since Grayson and Finley are 'close' I decided it would be prudent to invest in wooden dummy eggs to control egg laying.  Lucky for me I took a photo of the egg Finley laid when she first arrived so I know her size.

Her eggs are 'dove' sized.  I ordered 1/2 a dozen (how they sell 'em) from New England Pigeon Supply and went with priority shipping (not overnight shipping).

Related image

She just laid an egg in the G-hive not 15 minutes ago.  That explains some things Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  I deleted my post and replaced it with this one.

I've got red pigeon grit coming from Des Moines Feed.  Finley's been going at Kaytee Hi Cal grit that served Grayson well for a decade.  Finley's calcium needs are different that Grayson's needs when it comes to calcium and minerals that are found in grit.

Grayson needs it to help him digest.  As a female Finley needs the calcium.  The Kaytee grit is too fine for Finley.

Since Grayson and Finley are 'close' I decided it would be prudent to invest in wooden dummy eggs to control egg laying.  Lucky for me I took a photo of the egg Finley laid when she first arrived so I know her size.

Her eggs are 'dove' sized.  I ordered 1/2 a dozen (how they sell 'em) from New England Pigeon Supply and went with priority shipping (not overnight shipping).

Related image

She just laid an egg in the G-hive not 15 minutes ago.  That explains some things Woman Wink

@Bird mama   Let us know it the egg hatches.  Smiley Happy  By having a dummy egg, would this prevent Finley from laying one?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  assuming that she lays a second one in the next 48 hours, the goal is to replace the real eggs with wooden dummy eggs.