Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest October 2019 - Harvest Time

@Kachina624 wrote:
  • I have a bird story today.  Earlier, I was out in my driveway fooling around with my scooter.  I turned around and there was a roadrunner not 2 ft behind me.  He looked like he just wanted to say, "hi".  May have wanted a handout as a lot of people feed them raw hamburger meat by hand.  We talked a bit then it ambled off.  What a weird looking bird!

Yes, I used to feed our roadrunners raw hamburger--back in the day it was .79 lb.!  They loved it and became quite tame.  We had a nest on our back porch so I could watch as the little ones hatched.  The whole family hung around the house for a few years.

Since we lived in the desert with few to no bugs, I used to keep my sliding glass door open a smidge so that my little dog could come and go outside.  One day, as I was walking through the house, I happened to glance in the living room, and there, sitting on the top of my couch as pretty as you please, was a roadrunner!  He/she (I don't remember which) was just calmly looking out the front window. I could just picture me trying to shoo it outside and it freaking out and me having bird poop and feathers all over my house.

So I calmly "encouraged" it back through three rooms and out the door where it had entered.  It wasn't the least bit excited.  Sort of casually looked around the house as it left.

After that, I kept the back door shut. 🤣

Honored Contributor

@geezerette  Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:
  • I have a bird story today.  Earlier, I was out in my driveway fooling around with my scooter.  I turned around and there was a roadrunner not 2 ft behind me.  He looked like he just wanted to say, "hi".  May have wanted a handout as a lot of people feed them raw hamburger meat by hand.  We talked a bit then it ambled off.  What a weird looking bird!

Yes, I used to feed our roadrunners raw hamburger--back in the day it was .79 lb.!  They loved it and became quite tame.  We had a nest on our back porch so I could watch as the little ones hatched.  The whole family hung around the house for a few years.

Since we lived in the desert with few to no bugs, I used to keep my sliding glass door open a smidge so that my little dog could come and go outside.  One day, as I was walking through the house, I happened to glance in the living room, and there, sitting on the top of my couch as pretty as you please, was a roadrunner!  He/she (I don't remember which) was just calmly looking out the front window. I could just picture me trying to shoo it outside and it freaking out and me having bird poop and feathers all over my house.

So I calmly "encouraged" it back through three rooms and out the door where it had entered.  It wasn't the least bit excited.  Sort of casually looked around the house as it left.

After that, I kept the back door shut. 🤣

@geezerette   Lol, cute story.

Honored Contributor

People who feed them regularly, report thst they'll peck on the sliding glass doors to announce that they're ready to eat.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

There is my beautiful Scottie Conrad. I know I have said that a zillion times but he was so near and dear. Actually all my multitude of four legged family members through the years have been awesome. Still so sad thinking of all the family "pets" lost in that horrible fire last Thursday. People did get to go over and check their areas where their homes were a couple of days ago but could not stay. With everything burned down the air there is super hazardous - it will be a while yet before anyone is allowed back in there to see things and ascertain what actually is left and do cleanup.

Got a new wheelbarrow today - Davey and his Dad  came up and put it together. These old hands just cannot do much of anything any more. That is so frustrating as up until about a year ago I was able to manage a lot of things - sure left in a hurry.

Hope all had a great day.

Respected Contributor

@SoX  WOW what a beautiful cardinal!!!  I had no idea that they existed in yellow!  Thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

@possummink 

Sorry to hear that you have furnace troubles but glad to hear that the part is on its way to you.  Also sorry that you have to wait.  I sure do hope that the weather has warmed up for you so that you can stay warm.

How do you like your Birkshire throws?  I have been looking at them and wondering if they shed or are easy to take care of. 

Thanks for the great pics that you posted. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

I have never seen a roadrunner in person.  They are so funny looking that they are cute!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl 

You sure have been busy!!  Great idea for DH to move his office home.  We did that many years ago and it sure does save a lot of money,  Also saves money on the car and the commute.

I hope that it warms up there for you so that you can get outdoors to get your work done.  We were having the same type of weather here but the last couple of days it has cooled down and especially at night.  We are running the heat both day and night,

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone,

I just finished catching up on the Bird's Nest as it has been hectic here.  My Gastro doctor has been fighting my insurance company about putting me on a biologic and as of yesterday they appealed and all is good.  I have been getting all the necessary vaccines that I need before I start the infusions.  It will be a few weeks before I am ready to start the infusions.  

I cancelled physical therapy and am going for medical massages for my leg.  it seems to be slowly helping so we shall see.

In between doctors appointments we have been riding around taking photos of the beautiful New England foliage.  This years seems to be a good year and I did get plenty of photos.  We had a bad storm with heavy rain and high winds and it caused a lot of the leaves to come down so I guess I am finished this year with picture taking.  A lot of folks are without power.  We were lucky and only lost our cable and phones. 

@Bird mama   we have a cute groundhog hanging around in our backyard.  I thought of you and Gerry when I first saw him.  I sure do hope Gerry stays away from that not so nice neighbor of yours and that he returns to your property.

Waving hi to all the birders!!!  Stay safe, warm and dry!!!