Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest October 2019 - Harvest Time

@Bird mama wrote:

@luvsbulldogs    I held back on posting as more of a gift to the folks who visit the Bird's Nest for conversation Woman Very Happy

To be honest, Finley laid her second egg on a Monday and the rest of that week was rocky for me.  I felt like an irresponsible, ill prepared and lousy mother.  When birds mate and eggs are laid, timing is everything. 

In the case of pigeons, life (cell division) doesn't begin until incubation starts. 

Once the parents start to incubate the eggs or ‘sit tight’ on the nest, there is a narrow window of time (24 to 48 hours) to make a decision about the eggs.

The last time I gave an update on the birds in September; I had already reached the crossroads that morning and made the decision. 

The natural eggs had been incubated for 36 hours and time was of the essence. 

The company that I ordered the first set of wooden eggs from offered two sizes of eggs:  pigeon eggs (the size of chicken eggs) and dove eggs.  I went with the dove eggs and when they arrived that morning, I saw they were too small.   

Plan B was already underway as I ordered a dozen enamel covered wooden pigeon eggs from another company.  I requested and paid for 24 hour delivery via USPS.  I thought I was going to lose my religion when I received notification that my order shipped First Class (3 day delivery time).  I phoned the company and asked why my order was shipping first class when I requested and paid for 24 hour delivery?  Tiny said my order was on her desk and she never explained why they changed delivery method.  She updated the shipping method to 24 hour delivery.

There was one more option available to me and from what I've read it’s pretty common. 

While Grayson was sitting the nest, I swapped out one real egg for one smaller dove egg.  I candled the egg thoroughly with a blinding bright flashlight and saw no signs of life.  The egg was clear all the way through (no blood vessels, no embryo).  I boiled the egg, let it cool and returned it to the nest.  At that point Grayson had kicked the small dove egg aside, lol.  I took out the second real egg and repeated the process.

The enamel covered wooden eggs (Siegel eggs) arrived the next day.  They are not the exact shape of a natural pigeon egg however they are the same size and the Siegel eggs hold heat better than a run of the mill painted wooden egg.

Over the past 16 days, I've gradually transitioned out the boiled eggs for the Siegel eggs.  The birds sat on one boiled egg and one Siegel egg for most of the time.  This process has worked very well for my birds and I would do it again.  I only swapped out the eggs when Grayson was sitting the nest.  I warmed the Siegel egg by holding it and rotating it in my left hand while warming it with the blowdryer on medium heat.

Pigeon eggs usually hatch around the 18th to 20th day of incubation so I don't think it will be too much longer before the birds, especially Finley realizes that the eggs aren't viable. This happens in nature and I've learned that female pigeons sometimes lay unfertilized eggs.

@Bird mama 

How very interesting!  

If you keep swapping out those eggs when Grayson is on the nest, pretty soon when they don't hatch Finley is going to start thinking he's not doing his job! 😄

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   Woman Tongue

Because I halted the process before cellular development, I will never know if the eggs were fertile.  I'd like to Grayson's 'got it' however he is 10 years old............

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@geezerette   Woman Tongue

Because I halted the process before cellular development, I will never know if the eggs were fertile.  I'd like to Grayson's 'got it' however he is 10 years old............

@Bird mama 

Really?  That's a long time.  How long do pigeons live?  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 3-5 years in the wild; 15 years in captivity although there have been a few instances of longer life span.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@geezerette 3-5 years in the wild; 15 years in captivity although there have been a few instances of longer life span.

@Bird mama 

I didn't realize they lived even that long in the wild.  And 15 years is incredible, although I suppose there are a lot less fatal hazards than in the wild.  I just figured birds weren't "designed" to live more than a year or two.

No wonder you get so attached to your feathered kids! 🕊

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 
I really thought I had missed your post.  I truly enjoyed reading your post as I have learned a lot!  You sure have been busy!!!   You are a great birdmama!!!   Fingers crossed and prayers that it all works out as planned.  Please keep us updated.  Thanks birdmama for replying to my post.  
We went from mid 80's to upper 40's today.  Frost advisory for tomorrow night.  Yesterday we had the AC on and tonight we put the heat on.  I heard on the news tonight that there are to possibly be snow flurries up north tomorrow night.  Yikes, thank goodness we are in the southern part of the State.  As much as I like snow and cold weather I am not ready for snow just yet.  I am looking forward to putting out the bird feeders though.  We are still sprinkling seeds on the ground for the birds and so far no bears! 
Waving hi to all the birders!!!
@Bird mama wrote:

@luvsbulldogs    I held back on posting as more of a gift to the folks who visit the Bird's Nest for conversation Woman Very Happy

To be honest, Finley laid her second egg on a Monday and the rest of that week was rocky for me.  I felt like an irresponsible, ill prepared and lousy mother.  When birds mate and eggs are laid, timing is everything. 

In the case of pigeons, life (cell division) doesn't begin until incubation starts. 

Once the parents start to incubate the eggs or ‘sit tight’ on the nest, there is a narrow window of time (24 to 48 hours) to make a decision about the eggs.

The last time I gave an update on the birds in September; I had already reached the crossroads that morning and made the decision. 

The natural eggs had been incubated for 36 hours and time was of the essence. 

The company that I ordered the first set of wooden eggs from offered two sizes of eggs:  pigeon eggs (the size of chicken eggs) and dove eggs.  I went with the dove eggs and when they arrived that morning, I saw they were too small.   

Plan B was already underway as I ordered a dozen enamel covered wooden pigeon eggs from another company.  I requested and paid for 24 hour delivery via USPS.  I thought I was going to lose my religion when I received notification that my order shipped First Class (3 day delivery time).  I phoned the company and asked why my order was shipping first class when I requested and paid for 24 hour delivery?  Tiny said my order was on her desk and she never explained why they changed delivery method.  She updated the shipping method to 24 hour delivery.

There was one more option available to me and from what I've read it’s pretty common. 

While Grayson was sitting the nest, I swapped out one real egg for one smaller dove egg.  I candled the egg thoroughly with a blinding bright flashlight and saw no signs of life.  The egg was clear all the way through (no blood vessels, no embryo).  I boiled the egg, let it cool and returned it to the nest.  At that point Grayson had kicked the small dove egg aside, lol.  I took out the second real egg and repeated the process.

The enamel covered wooden eggs (Siegel eggs) arrived the next day.  They are not the exact shape of a natural pigeon egg however they are the same size and the Siegel eggs hold heat better than a run of the mill painted wooden egg.

Over the past 16 days, I've gradually transitioned out the boiled eggs for the Siegel eggs.  The birds sat on one boiled egg and one Siegel egg for most of the time.  This process has worked very well for my birds and I would do it again.  I only swapped out the eggs when Grayson was sitting the nest.  I warmed the Siegel egg by holding it and rotating it in my left hand while warming it with the blowdryer on medium heat.

Pigeon eggs usually hatch around the 18th to 20th day of incubation so I don't think it will be too much longer before the birds, especially Finley realizes that the eggs aren't viable. This happens in nature and I've learned that female pigeons sometimes lay unfertilized eggs.

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs   Salt and pepper shakers. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the update @Bird mama    ...  of course, I had no idea!Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SoX  Guuurrrrl Woman Very Happy  My mind and emotions were all over the map for a solid 2 days.  My house is full of digital clocks and I could still hear time ticking by, rofl.  If I would have been posting daily, one of you on this thread would have been trying to figure out who to call for a wellness check.

That's all behind me now.  Knowledge (and the proper supplies) is power.

Esteemed Contributor

You kept your secret very well ... I know you must have been a basket case!

I should have realized when you started talking about ordering those "pretend" eggs ...  duh ...   Dumb me!