Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest - March 2021

May be an image of text that says 'Have a wonderful day ~be happy.... Spring is on the way~ Southern Love and Blessings'

Honored Contributor

May be an image of footwear, brick wall and outdoors

My Carolina Wrens would sure use something like these repurposed shoes.   They like to nest right near the house and feeders.  Last year they built a nest in a hole in the basement steps wall.   Brave and trusting little critters. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

This bird has personality.  You can just see it Woman Very Happy

@possummink wrote:

@Bird mama 

Bernie,  These perky little Titmice do have attitudes and are very vocal when it comes to my not filling the feeders fast enough.  They are such awesome little birds to have coming and living here.  The Chickadees are the same way only a bit braver.   They come very close to me.  I think they like to come feed immediately while I am still out there because some of the bigger birds wait till I am going back inside.  It gives the tiny birds a chance to grab a bite or two without competition.   🐦🕊💖

Honored Contributor

May be an image of nature, sky, twilight, lake and tree

Honored Contributor

May be an image of nature and tree

Honored Contributor

The boots nests with the little roof are a good idea @possummink   

My sparrows have been living in this yellow house for many years.

Amazon.com : Home Bazaar Hand-made Little Wren Yellow Bird house - Bird  Friendly - Home Decor : Bird Houses : Garden & Outdoor

They are on their second iiteration of the yellow house and it's looking rough.  I usually pull the flowers out and then I drill a small hole under the opening and glue in a skinny dowl that is long enough for them to perch on comfortably but not long enough to hold a blue jay or bigger bird that might want to raid the house.

It's not easy for my to find this house as it once was and home depot didn't have it in yellow last year, I had to buy a white version.

Amazon.com : Home Bazaar Hand-made Little Wren White Bird House - Hanging Bird  House - Home Decor : Bird Houses : Garden & Outdoor

I hope the color difference isn't a problem given the architecture is the same.  I need to prep the dowl on the new house and let it cure so I can swap out the yellow one for the white one before my sparrow couple kicks off breeding season.  The old yellow house is so insulated from years of working on it and it's been cold so I'm trying to time it right so they will have access to nest materials on the ground that they can put in the house.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

The boots nests with the little roof are a good idea @possummink   

My sparrows have been living in this yellow house for many years.

Amazon.com : Home Bazaar Hand-made Little Wren Yellow Bird house - Bird  Friendly - Home Decor : Bird Houses : Garden & Outdoor

They are on their second iiteration of the yellow house and it's looking rough.  I usually pull the flowers out and then I drill a small hole under the opening and glue in a skinny dowl that is long enough for them to perch on comfortably but not long enough to hold a blue jay or bigger bird that might want to raid the house.

It's not easy for my to find this house as it once was and home depot didn't have it in yellow last year, I had to buy a white version.

Amazon.com : Home Bazaar Hand-made Little Wren White Bird House - Hanging Bird  House - Home Decor : Bird Houses : Garden & Outdoor

I hope the color difference isn't a problem given the architecture is the same.  I need to prep the dowl on the new house and let it cure so I can swap out the yellow one for the white one before my sparrow couple kicks off breeding season.  The old yellow house is so insulated from years of working on it and it's been cold so I'm trying to time it right so they will have access to nest materials on the ground that they can put in the house.

@Bird mama 

Bernie,  We have little  bird houses similar in shape but not very cute like yours is.   House Wrens used to nest in them all the time till the Nile Virus came here and apparently killed off my House Wrens.  They've never come back.  The hole is smaller than your little houses and my brother made the bird houses.  I think there's still one hanging in the basement, never been put out.   The wrens used them over and over for years even though they got ratty looking.  They used to nest in our old clothespin bag if it was left outside long enough on the old clothesline.   I miss the House Wrens and their beautiful little calls.  We also had Bewick's Wrens but haven't seen them in quite a while.  

I found one bird house on the ground yesterday and it was missing part of the roof.  I don't know how to make a partial roof but will try something to make it work.  It's different from all the other houses,  and I don't remember where I got it, but it is decorative and wood.  

Can you refurbish the yellow house??   You could probably hang it up near your house and get another couple to move into it. 

Honored Contributor

May be an image of nature, grass and tree

Respected Contributor

@possummink   Thank you for always posting such wonderful pictures. I just love this barn,but I do love them all.

@possummink wrote:

May be an image of nature, grass and tree

Honored Contributor