Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@possumminkThanks for the informationWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway  I don't recall seeing any orioles in my yard.  

I found this on a website:  http://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/feeding-birds-with-oranges/ 

"Perhaps one of the best things about oranges is the low maintenance. You don’t need a snazzy feeder. Simply hammer a nail to a deck railing or fencepost and stick an orange half to the nail. Or set a couple of orange halves right in your platform feeder. Easy peasy!"

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Filled the feeders shortly before dark last night. I was really dragging so it took a while and did NOT want to do it but had to think of the feathered ones

This morning I need to put fresh water in the fountain for them. Also have to check on the food and water I am now leaving for Johnny's cat. Feel so sorry for that old cat - she LOVED her Daddy and I know he must be in agony leaving her.She lived her entire life at that auto repair shop but sure loved Johnny and vice versa. Have tried all kinds of ways to find Johnny - so far no luck. The old beautiful - now skinny - cat came hopping over to me yesterday. That is a first so I know it is lonely with no contact at all for quite a spell. Am struggling to figure out what is best for that cat. Not sure if animal control picks it up - and they will care for it - if she will survive as she has never been caged in her many years of life. Sigh.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

Oooh Freddie @Winifred that's a hard one.  If she has been allowed that much freedom her entire life, caging her might break her.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Filled the feeders shortly before dark last night. I was really dragging so it took a while and did NOT want to do it but had to think of the feathered ones

This morning I need to put fresh water in the fountain for them. Also have to check on the food and water I am now leaving for Johnny's cat. Feel so sorry for that old cat - she LOVED her Daddy and I know he must be in agony leaving her.She lived her entire life at that auto repair shop but sure loved Johnny and vice versa. Have tried all kinds of ways to find Johnny - so far no luck. The old beautiful - now skinny - cat came hopping over to me yesterday. That is a first so I know it is lonely with no contact at all for quite a spell. Am struggling to figure out what is best for that cat. Not sure if animal control picks it up - and they will care for it - if she will survive as she has never been caged in her many years of life. Sigh.

Have a great day everyone.

@Winifred  Animal control would euthanize her immediately, being old and not adoptable.  If you can't care for the cat, could you take it to your vet, he may do it for you for a minimal charge under the circumstances.  At least the cat would not be subjected to a cage in a strange place, so traumatic for any animal, especially an old one.

Honored Contributor

What?? I'm still sleepy!

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

Those Scotties are beautiful. Thanks Possum - and they are also super nice doggie friends.

Mousiegirl, our Animal Control will NOT euthanize the cat - that I know. They are super good. When the County handled animal control it was horrible. A neighboring city handles ours now - they are outstanding and if they have had to pick up an animal they take it to the no kill shelter a good 30 miles from where they are based - they are outstanding. I probably will call Chris on Monday, I have dealt with him before when the neighbors were abusing their gorgeous and sweet pit bull, Princess. It was horrible - he saved the day.. I am afraid they would put her in a cage but I will call because perhaps they have a "cattery" where they can roam - some shelters do out here. And there is always the person who wants an older cat. She is beginning to make herself comfy here I guess as she has spent most of the day out in the lilac bushes out back. she is so precious - and she is eating food and drinking clean water. I went to PetCo to get her some good food as I do not know her condition - a bit $$$ but a critter is worth it. I seem to collect two AND four legged little ones. LOL.

Got the water fountain  out back cleaned and refilled - those feathered ones can sure mess it up on only one day. Geesh!!! Had to put it out behind the fenced area for my back yard as the two little ones would not treat it well - already figured that out. LOL. My property extends way back where there is another fence on the back property line - just wanted the back yard area fenced. Well my parents had already done that but the fence they had was falling down - Mother would be proud, had a company come in and they did a great job. Wish now I had something other than chain link but that is OK out back - I can see what is going on LOL

Hope all had a great day

Honored Contributor

So very cute