Honored Contributor

Welcome friends and visitor's to the Bird's Nest for August.

Image result for birds late summer

Image result for birds and sunflowers

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Bird's Nest - August 2018

I ended July on a little bit of a frustrating note.  I was on the phone chatting with my sister around 8:30 pm or so when I looked out of my kitchen window and saw a large cat that looked something like this drinking out of the water bowl that is intended for the birds and squirrels.

Image result for calico cat

I tapped on the kitchen window thinking it would scare the cat.  Nope, cat sat up and looked right at me.  So I slowly opened up the back door thinking that would scare the cat.  Nope, cat meowed at me.  

Cat was wearing a collar so I checked it and said hello Oliver what are you doing running around outside?  I noted the address (down the street from me) and picked the cat up, walked through my house, went out the front door and was going to deliver Oliver home.

Oliver made it 2 houses and then used my chest as a springboard to jump off of me and run under a shrub.  On the bright side, Oliver has all of his nails.  Also on the bright side, although I was scratched and gored a little, at least he didn't bite me.

I continued to walk to the address that was on the ID tag and knocked on the door.  A drowsy looking guy came to the door.  I said, do you know Oliver?  Does Oliver live here?  The guy said yea, Oliver is my cat and he lives outside. I said, really?  You know we have people on this block with dogs and while Oliver doesn't have to worry about a dog when he comes in my yard, it could be a problem in someone else's yard.  

Guys says, Oliver is a chill cat, I'm not worried.  I said, well good for you.  Odds are, if Oliver crosses the wrong dog, it won't be you that is traumatized by what's left in the yard.  You have yourself a good night.

I don't understand people Woman Frustrated

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I ended July on a little bit of a frustrating note.  I was on the phone chatting with my sister around 8:30 pm or so when I looked out of my kitchen window and saw a large cat that looked something like this drinking out of the water bowl that is intended for the birds and squirrels.

Image result for calico cat

I tapped on the kitchen window thinking it would scare the cat.  Nope, cat sat up and looked right at me.  So I slowly opened up the back door thinking that would scare the cat.  Nope, cat meowed at me.  

Cat was wearing a collar so I checked it and said hello Oliver what are you doing running around outside?  I noted the address (down the street from me) and picked the cat up, walked through my house, went out the front door and was going to deliver Oliver home.

Oliver made it 2 houses and then used my chest as a springboard to jump off of me and run under a shrub.  On the bright side, Oliver has all of his nails.  Also on the bright side, although I was scratched and gored a little, at least he didn't bite me.

I continued to walk to the address that was on the ID tag and knocked on the door.  A drowsy looking guy came to the door.  I said, do you know Oliver?  Does Oliver live here?  The guy said yea, Oliver is my cat and he lives outside. I said, really?  You know we have people on this block with dogs and while Oliver doesn't have to worry about a dog when he comes in my yard, it could be a problem in someone else's yard.  

Guys says, Oliver is a chill cat, I'm not worried.  I said, well good for you.  Odds are, if Oliver crosses the wrong dog, it won't be you that is traumatized by what's left in the yard.  You have yourself a good night.

I don't understand people Woman Frustrated

@Bird mama  He's an idiot!

Honored Contributor

He’s definitely not a cat man!

And if Oliver is an outside cat, what is he doing with a collar on anyway?  He could easily catch it on something and literally end up hanging.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

He’s definitely not a cat man!

And if Oliver is an outside cat, what is he doing with a collar on anyway?  He could easily catch it on something and literally end up hanging.

@geezerette  Let's hope it is a breakaway collar.  I once found a cat collar on my deck, belonging to a fierce cat who came to my property to torture my elderly cats, had to buy a squirt gun as when I tried to shoo him away, he turned and came toward me, but I won, off he ran.  This went on for years, then I didn't see him for many years.

One day, in the deathly heat of summer, out came an emaciated cat from my shed and ran under the spa.  I managed to get in into a cat carrier and into my downstairs bathroom.  I fed him for three days, ate like a horse, then took him to my Vet and left him for tests, etc.  Shortly thereafter, she emailed to say that the cat had a chip, and it belonged to my neighbor, not next door, and it was Tiger, the fierce cat.

I felt that he came here to die, as his owners just kept him outside.  I emailed them, and was told he was very old and on several meds, one of which must have been thyroid. He told me if I saw him again, not to rescue him, just let him be, so I gave him a tactful piece of my mind, and implored him not to let Tiger go off to die alone, and he assured me that the end was near, havn't heard again.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

That’s just pretty darn sad.  Not to mention abusive, in my mind.

I have plenty of stories myself, about various animals, not just cats.  I live in a rural setting and am one of the drop-off points for unwanted critters.  Which is how I acquired both of my cats.  

I really don't know about some people.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Buff-bellied Hummingbird (alanmurphyphotography.com)

Honored Contributor