Respected Contributor

Re: Bells are Ringing at the Bird's Nest - December 2016

Hey, I get an apple - filled the feeders a tad before dark. Boy howdy was it ever COLD out there. But I did it!!!

Still have to chuckle and also wonder why but Don's multitude of cats are spending most of their daylight hours over here. they NEVER EVER use to leave his yard but they sure do now. Must admit I do not mean anywhere near all of them but when you go from none to perhaps 7, that is a lot in my book. Not sure how many he has - suspect it is 10 plus. He is a cat collector but must say he takes great care of them. After losing four at one time because he did not get them shots - and I was always on his case before that - he now gets them shots AND has them  neutered or spayed. Good for him. Wonder if they know there is only one inside OLD cat here now - Miss Blackie and she does not go outside. Hmn. Have always had a dog here and also no longer a dog - I sure miss that. So yes, I do have to go out with the long handle pooper scooper still. Now that is just not fair.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

My dog passed in September 2008 and I still have to scan the yard before I mow.  One of the downsides of having so many squirrels and a skunk living in the yard.  In case anyone wonders - yeah skunk poop smells like a skunk, ha ha ha.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

The bird of the day is the Black Crowned Tityra

Image result for Black Crowned Tityra

Image result for Black Crowned Tityra

Honored Contributor

Through the Woods.jpg (600×402):

Honored Contributor

by Asko Kuittinen:

Honored Contributor

4 Foods to Attract Nuthatches to Your Yard | Birding | Birds & Blooms Magazine:

Winter birding tips:

Hi Birding Friends,  Another weekend has arrived, not too many left in this year.   Don't know where the time goes so quickly. 

Both of the above Nuthatches have become regular visitors to the feeders and are so welcome.   The Whitebreasted guys are here all year and are very tame.  One has come within a foot of me while I'm filling the feeders.  The smaller Redbreasted Nuthatch just came back about 5 or 6 weeks ago and is pretty tame too.    I'm really glad to have these cuties around. 

The feeders are being emptied at almost a record pace.  The Sparrows and House Finches have learned to pick peanuts and other nuts out of the cylinder nut feeders  if the fly through is empty.  That doesn't set well with the Downy Woodpeckers.  They're the smallest of our Woodpeckers and have to bluff the other birds off of their feeders.

Supposed to get to 14 or 15 next Thursday and not above freezing for the high daytime temp,, so I'm hoping to get to Wild Birds Unlimited tomorrow   Have a nice weekend and stay warm.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Чудо, которое произошло, но пока осталось незамеченным. Художник Кира Панина. Обсуждение на LiveInternet - Российский Сервис Онлайн-Дневников:

Honored Contributor

Winter fun...:

Honored Contributor

Cardinal ~ Time to Feed the Birds! (Garden of Len & Barb Rosen):

Honored Contributor

It's overcast, but a bright kind of overcast (if that makes sense).  Cold too, then again it don't take much for me to wear a hat and gloves Smiley Tongue

I think my rabbit is back to stay (fingers crossed).  I noticed this morning, while breaking from AM Style to get some coffee, that the squirrels were eating and the rabbit was hopping in a straight line towards the bird seed. Sometimes the squirrels are obnoxious and spook the rabbit, which aggravates me .  Then again, I remember that squirrels have consistently been here and they probably do have seniority.  

Nothing exciting going on here.  I did gather my Christmas cards together and have them on the kitchen table.  Now I need to sit down and address them.  

I did get a load of wash done, so at least that's something :-)