Honored Contributor

Re: Being Alone on the Holidays

@Solar wrote:

shoekitty: THAT SOUNDS LIKE A WONDERFUL IDEA!   I haven't looked, but I hope a thread is started about CHATTING WITH OTHERS HERE ON CHRISTMAS EVE AND CHRISTMAS DAY -- those who are ALONE and those who just want to share friendship and warmth.

-Solar Heart

A great idea!  I myself unwind after everyone leaves, and I love to come here for a little bit late evening.  All someone would do is start a thread in Among Friends or Community Christmas Eve directing posters to meet there Christmas.  Last year if I remember, the boards were open although  QVC live ends Christmas Eve and hosts don't come back until 12am the 26th.  Now that we have active moderaters, I don't know if they will be gone and boards closed?

Anyone know?

Esteemed Contributor

First let me say how sorry I am for your loss.  I think of this subject a lot.  See I come from a very small family, only one sibling and she is not well mentally and hasn't been most of her life.  She left home when I was young so I was more or less an only child.  My parents didn't entertain often so my dogs were a big part of my life.

The only family members I have live out of state.  Although I always think how nice I it would be to have them here I then come to my senses and realize what a nightmare it would become,

i married into a large family and in the early days they always had a big family holiday.  Soon it became the most stressful time of my life.  Everyone would fight and if it began during Thanksgiving it went on the whole year.  This went on for years.

My MIL passed and that was the end of it,  not only were the holidays over but also the family.

I only have one child and I know the day will come when she is off living her life.  I find myself thinking that I would volunteer or immerse myself in work.  I got used to being alone when I found myself here with a chronic illness.  There are times when I just can't attend something.  I've accepted that.   To tell you the truth I don't think I would want to be with others,  I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable.  Of coarse I may not think that way in the future.

I wish you very a Merry Christmas and however you spend them you use your time doing something very nice for yourself.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for this thread.  It's a good reminder to reach out to others.  I am married and I have several single friends.  I also have a couple of family members who live alone.  I make sure all of these people will be with someone on the holidays, even if it's not me.  It is not ok with me that any of them are alone.  We will be at a gathering on Christmas day with people who have no family obligations.  I totally understand not wanting to be with people that make you miserable.  That's still no excuse to block EVERYONE out.  However you decide to spend the holiday, take the time to reflect on what it's all about.  Merry Christmas. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Applehead,

I do hope & pray that you will find a way to feel less lonely and alone, especially during the Holidays, and please remember you are always in our thoughts and prayers.  

I replied earlier Applehead, but feel this is the perfect thread to include what I listed below because you and I have much in common..... as far as being alone...

I have my Phillip now and am very blessed that I am no longer all alone, but I still am the sole survivor of my entire very large immediate family, and USA relatives, I feel I must comment on what a true friend really is....because Applehead..... there are "FRIENDS", and then......... they are so called friends, and no the two are not the same, but extremely different, in their demeanor, and humane compassion.

"The blunt truth is when we lose a loved one and grieve, that is really the time we find out who our friends who know we just lost a loved one really are".

There are true friends who stick with us through thick and thin....... and so called friends, who only want to share fun, and good times.

The true friends are the friends that come by to check on us often when we are grieving ,or when we become ill, to make sure we have food in the house, to make sure we eat and stay well hydrated drinking plenty of fluids.

To speak with us to find out if we have problems sleeping concentrating and eating.

To ask if we need to see our doctor for scripts to help us feel better, and also if grieving then get prescriptions to help, and to also offer to take us there, so we are not alone, because either grieivng or being ill we may not have the strength or mobility to go out alone.

True friends also to try and get us outside on clear sunny days, for some fresh air.

True friends bring groceries over, and bake something nice they know we will like.

True friends try and take us out for lunch, brunch, or dinner.

If we are ill or grieving then a true friend would come and care for us and order food, or brings some in, or even get whats needed to make us food to eat......but they would ensure we are well hydrated and that we definitely do eat when they are with us, so we do not end up hospitalized.

True friends come and do laundry and some lite housekeeping, especially if we are crying and in deep grief, and have no strength, or are just to ill to have the stamina to tidy up for ourselves.

True friends are the ones that not only come by often, but also call us daytime and night time, and email often to communicate, comfort, and talk with us.

True friends also send a condolence card from a card shop, or email a condolence card. (I do both card shop and email condolence cards, from some very nice cyber web sites).

True friends help you in any way humanly possible so you can know you are cared for and loved, and ensure that you do not fall into extreme loneliness and depression, since that also is very dangerous.

True friends always find out what your Holiday plans are ahead of time and include you in theirs if you have made none, or have not yet received any Holiday invitations.

Perhaps in grieving a person prefers not to be included during Holiday gatherings, but certainly after time has passed, and the pain is not as intense, true friends would ask if they did feel up to joining them in their  Holiday family gatherings..... and also arrange to pick them up if they cannot motivate themselves to come on their own.

True friends know what it means to be a true friend, and I do not for a moment buy into excuses of  this kind:

"I did not know what to say or do for you during your time of grief, so I did not communicate".

"I believed you wanted to be all alone and grieve in private".

"I did not call, come by, or email because I knew you would not want any company, or want to do anything".

Yes I have heard these, and many other lame unforgiveable excuses, each and every time I lost a loved one.

When I heard those unforgiveable ame excuses time and again I knew the people who said them were not true friends, because if they really were they would have remained in touch even more during my intense time of grief.......or illness.

So when I have  real true friends I feel very blessed, and if someone does not have any real true friends, make new friends, and you will be surprised to find out in time just how many real true friends you have.

Bless you dear Applehead, and we pray you will be less alone, and uplifted very soon.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

Thanks for this thread.  It's a good reminder to reach out to others.  I am married and I have several single friends.  I also have a couple of family members who live alone.  I make sure all of these people will be with someone on the holidays, even if it's not me.  It is not ok with me that any of them are alone.  We will be at a gathering on Christmas day with people who have no family obligations. 

My niece has invited a single, retired neighbor to dinner tomorrow. I look forward to meeting her. I will soon be moving here and my niece thinks I will like her and we'll have things in common. My niece (and her mother, my sister, when she was alive) always invite(d) those they know who would otherwise be alone to share. The more the merrier. It's an invaluable kindness.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

I think being alone over the holidays -- or really, any days -- is more common than we realize. The world would have us believe that the holidays are joyful celebrations, when for many, they are not. The older we get, the more people we've lost.

Count your blessings, be kind to yourself. If you want to curl up in your jammies and watch Doctor Who (to avoid all those happily ever after films on the Hallmark channel), go for it. If you want to have a glass of wine, do that, too. Treat yourself gently.

If you want to get cleaned up and go out for a drink, you'll find the bars are full of people who are alone over the holidays.

We all cope the best we can, and it's only a couple of days.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@adoreqvc...I just want to thank you for taking the time to write such a kind, caring post to Apple Head. You speak the truth. After reading your entire post, I realize I have no "true" friends, just those who pretend to care. But, that's okay. I don't need or want any fake " friendships". (Edited to add that I do have a couple true friends who would in fact be there for me if it were not for the fact that they live 3000 miles away).

@Apple Head....I wish you the best during this holiday time and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

On this XMAS Eve I'm spending the day with my husband and son and I feel very lucky that my husband is still alive and my son wants to spend time with us. I'm not much for the major holidays since my Mother died 20 years ago and really, neither are my siblings. When Mom was alive we all got together at the family home and everyone had a great time. Now, we seem not to want to be bothered, we just all do our own thing on the holidays. I didn't even get Christmas cards froms my siblings this year, so I guess even that small acknowledgement of Christmas between us is gone. I did speak to my youngest sister and my elderly aunt earlier in the week though. I feel badly because we all don't care enough to make the effort, but it is what it is. I do feel sorry for people who want to be included in the festivities and are not, but that too shall pass.

Esteemed Contributor

Depends what 'all alone' means to various folks.  If you mean you don't have company, there's plenty to get involved with to have company.  If you mean you are around a lot of folks who just don't interest you and you feel alone, then leave their company. 

You could invite others to your place who are also alone and have a get together of sort.  Make it a tradition. 

We want quiet here at my place.  It's okay if others do their own thing.  We know what we like.  Holidays or not. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I did not read this whole thread so if I am repeating I apologize.  I have a daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren but they live in a different state.  I am often alone on holidays.  You need to make your own holiday.  I always decorate the house for Christmas.   I invited a few friends over for dinner a couple of weeks ago (early enough that it did not interfere with their holiday).  I make cookies and deliver to friends and neighbors.  I always buy myself a Christmas present.  I am going out to a nice dinner next week with a couple of friends to celebrate the new year before new years.  You can also volunteer.  I am fixing a lobster dinner for myself tonight.  I have a good book and few Netflix videos.  In all honesty I am been invited to a couple of friends houses for dinner but I kind of feel odd about it so I am just happier at home.  I usually get a few Merry Christmas phone calls from out of state friends.