Respected Contributor

Re: Beginnings of New Life at the Bird's Nest - May 2019

Image result for pictures of orioles missouri

Today was the first time I have seen an oriole in our yard.

Esteemed Contributor

@possummink wrote:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Precious!!!!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@possummink wrote:

The Wind in the Willows...my fav book!!!!!!!!!!! Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Hi Birding Friends,   I didn't get to fly to Florida yesterday due to 'catching a bug or virus' that's making the rounds here.   I was fine Wednesday evening when we went out for supper to celebrate our brother and his wife's 43rd wedding anniversary, but a few hours after that  I felt awful, Nausea and more,  so I texted my DDIL and told her plus I called the airline and asked them about canceling the flight.   Southwest person said rest for a while and then make the decision, which I did and canceled the flight about 5 am.  It was a 7:30 am flight.   I didn't want to be sick on the plane or have my son have to pull off of the turnpike just because of my being sick.  Plus didn't want to pass whatever this is around to other passengers or ???

I sure am sad about not getting to see my son and family as it's been since September since I last saw them.   Not been away from them for much more than a month or two for years.   My two younger grandson's are not able to go to the graduation due to work, $$, and school.   The youngest goes to college 8 hours a day 5 -6 days a week.  Very intense courses of study for him..

Luvs,   I am really glad you are able to have the medicine that helps you finally.  I hope it helps you get back some strength and stamina,  I know full well how not having that feels.  I can't believe how little energy or 'staying power' I have.  I have to rest my back when walking at times or just lean on something to keep moving forward.  I was worried about walking the long distances from security to the plane gate at the airport.  I don't want to have to use wheelchairs yet  guess that's false pride.  But I will do it on my own for as long as I can.

Take care of yourself.   I hope you get bluebirds in your houses.  My robins have fledged already, I guess, no activity around the nest from Mama Robin.   I haven't seen the two Rosebreasted Grosebeak males for the past few days, but then I haven't had much time to spend at the kitchen window.   We've had so much rain here and the rivers are way over their banks.  The flooding is terrible.   It'll be a long time before any planting can be done in this area.  

Honored Contributor

@possummink  Oh no Woman Sad   I am sincerely heartbroken for you because I know how much you were looking forward to seeing your son and his family.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

victoria plum

@Bird mama 

Bernie,   Thank you.   I sure didn't want to miss that graduation.  I've been to every one of his graduations till now.  Even 8th grade graduation. 

I don't know what it was but my daughter said several people are out from work due to a virus that's making the rounds.   I feel much better, but not back to normal.   Nausea waves ever so often.  Hasn't affected my appetite today though.   Was hungry most of the day.   Wanting things I didn't have in the house.  I did resist going out and buying stuff though. Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

No photo description available.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Image may contain: flower

Respected Contributor

Hi Birders,

I want to thank all of you for your concern and well wishes.  I am happy to say that I am slowly improving.  Today I was able to step out for a little while.

My husband took me to a garden center that we always go to and bought me a lilac colored Bouganvilla .....sorry for the way I probably butchered the spelling.  We buy one every year for a wicker planter that we keep on our deck.  Had never seen one in the lilac color before and they only had the one.  It is still too cool outdoors to keep out at night so we will be taking it in and out until the beginning of June when all danger of frost is gone. We actually still have the heat on in our condo.  

@mousiegirlthank you so much for writing about your gardening.   It sounds so pretty at your house.  I know it is a lot fo work for you so it is good that you are planting some in large pots.  I miss having a veggie garden but have not have one in many years.  At our past house there were too many critters to plant anything in the herb and veggie dapartment,  We do have a local farm that has a barn like building that sells all their fruits and veggies and we frequent that a lot in the warmer months. Can't wait for tomatoes!!!

@Bird mamado you have any birds nests on your property.  I do remember that you usually have one on I think it is your garage:?  I think I mentioned this last year about our daughter having a phoebe nest on her front porch and this is the 7th year that the same one is back and sitting on her eggs.  She was telling us that the phoebe was spring cleaning her nest and a cow bird once again dropped an egg in the nest and left it.  Last year the phoebe sat on it and it hatched.  This year the phoebe actually tossed the egg and dropped her own in the nest. 

It sounds like you are having the same kind of weather that we are.  I just heard on the news that they are predicting snow flurries up north for next week.  Winter just does not want to leave.  Do you still have the critter living under I think it is your porch?  . 

@possumminkI am so sorry to hear that you did not make it to Fla. for the graduation and to see your family.  I am sorry that you were sick.  I hope that you are feeling better!  Are your chimney sweeps there yet?  I know how much you love them!  We have 2 hummingbirds here that are both males and are waiting for the females to arrive.  There are 89 condos here in our little community and there sure are a lot of hummer feeders out so I guess we are lucky that we are seeing 2. Take care of yourself Possum!!!

I want to wish all the mothers, wheter it be feathered friends, animal or humans a very "Happy Mother's Day,"  Have a great day!!!