Respected Contributor

Re: Beginnings of New Life at the Bird's Nest - May 2019

@Bird mama  I bought it at a garage sale several years ago for $2.00Woman Happy

It is a print from Barbara Mock.

Respected Contributor

Had lots of birds yesterday between the sprinkles. Quite chilly but those characters ate very well - had to refill a couple of the feeders. Got to get some more bird seed - long spell between  refilling my supply - so glad they decided to come back. I buy the big bags of seed - 50 pounds - yet right now am trying to figure out how to get them out of the car when I get home. Have a broken down wheelbarrow I may try using - my helper on things like that is refusing to even speak to me and perhaps that is good as he became quite nasty. So sad, Just pray Davey will graduate in a few weeks. Spent quite a few years trying to get him back on track with his school work - Hopefully he is staying on track - at least he is continuing to go to school. He is 18 and there is a limit what I can and cannot do. Bottom line is, it is now up to him. So be it

My neighbor planted tomatoes and I reminded him I did not get any of his last year. LOL. He said he didn't either. That is one thing about tomatoes, never any guarantee when you grow them.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Freddie @Winifred   Do you have any kind of tubs to store the bird seed in? 

Many years ago, I came across 25 lb buckets/pails of Kaytee basic bird seed  in containers that look alot like this

Image result for kaytee basic wild bird food in pail

At that time I bought 2 and I have reused the containers since.  Meijer's sells their bird seed up to 40 lbs maximum and there have been times when my back was out of whack where I just slit the bag in the trunk of the car and taken a large metal mixing bowl to scoop out the seed and transfer it to the clear container.

It may mean a couple of more trips however it's better than knocking yourself out trying to haul a 50 lb bag.

I'm sorry that your wheelbarrow ain't working.  A few years ago, I replaced the inflatable tire/wheel with a non inflatable tire wheel.  I never have to worry about that thing going flat again. 

I have to be careful with the wheelbarrow because I tend to tip the load that's in there - I can be so uncoordinated some times.

I can't say that I am surprised by your helper's ungrateful behavior.  I'm sitting here struggling to find 'forum acceptable' language as I write this.

The one word that keeps coming to mind is abomination.  I hold you up in prayer every single day and I have a flameless candle that cycles for you (Catholics are big on candles).  Not only do I pray for you, I pray that your malcontent family will do right by you. Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Image result for geese walking on concrete

@Bird mama  Just wanted to let you know that my husband is doing well after his surgery. We had to go to the doctor's office the next day. I let him off at the door and went to find a parking place. There were geese just walking around the parking lot.

I ask the lady at the front desk and she said that they live in the area. Speed bumps were put in to protect the geeseHeart They acted like they own the placeWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway   We have lots of geese around here.  I went to the ATM a couple of weeks ago (I think it was mid day on a Saturday) and there was a goose laying down in the rain in the area of the parking lot where someone could hit it if the driver wasn't paying attention.  I made my withdrawal, swung the car around and stepped out and said, hey, dude, are you hurt or something?  If you aren't you will be if a nut comes driving to the ATM like a bat outta - - - -. 

This goose just looked at me and I said aww c'mon there is a nice grassy area less than a foot away from you, can't you go and lay down there?  I refused to get back in the car and I'd swear the goose looked disgusted with me.  He/she stood up, took a few steps over to the grass and looked at me as if to say - satisfied?

I felt better Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Tree Swallows by tracy sam

Hi my Friends,  Just a short note to let you know I am supposed to fly to Florida in the morning for my grandson's graduation.  Will be back on Sunday or Monday.   Have a great weekend,  and be safe and well. Heart

Respected Contributor

Hi Birders,

Well I got the ok for my former pills from the insurance company and am back on them but I am still sick and can barely leave the house.  I am hoping that I just need time to adjust. 

@Bird mama  what a beautiful church.  I have never seen a church like that.  I hope that you enjoyed the ceremony.  You did good with making that goose move!  I would have done the same thing! 

@WinifredI hope that they found the problem with your car and that it is fixed!

@possummink  It sounds like you had a great time at the wedding.  I love getting together with family and friends and catching up. 

@mousiegirlI hope that you are not over doing it in your gardens.  How is the weather there?

To the rest of the birders it is nice to meet all of you.

We still have 2 male hummers at the feeders and are waiting to see some females.  I know that they usually show up a week or so after the males arrive.  I feel so bad for them as it has been in the low to upper 30's here at night.  During the day it ranges from the mid to upper 40's to a high of almost 70.  It rains about 4 to 5 days a week which is so far exactly like last year.  Not usual for here.  But as others have mentioned it is not so bad after seeing and hearing what is happening in other parts of the country.

Forgot to mention that after seeing bluebirds daily at our feeders  we put up 2 bluebird houses and I think that we put them up a little to late.  Perhaps next time they will choose to move in them.  Also put up other bird houses for other birds. 

We are planning to redo the front landscape.  We planted rhododendrons in the back of our condo last year and they looked terrible over the winter.  Then started looking around and saw that others were having the same look and also other shrubs.  i read that they are not exactly sure what caused it but something similar to this happened in the 40's.  They think it could have been the up and down temps or not having much of a snow covering or the wind that caused it.  DH wants to do it himself.  I guess he misses the gardening at our former house.  I am hoping to put in some holly shrubs and a few PJM's along with other shrubs that did survive.  I wish I could get out there and do some of the physical work like I used to do years ago but just cannot do it anymore.  I do still do some of the weeding and plant some flower pots.  I so miss gardening. 

Happy Mothers Day!

Honored Contributor

Safe journey to you @possummink   I hope that you have a great time with your family.

Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs   I'm  sorry to read that you are feeling so sick right now.  I've  been praying really hard that everyone involved in the decision making would agree to give you access to the medication that helped you the first time around.  I'll continue to pray that your body adjusts back to what worked for it the first time.

About the new landscaping - it's still kind of early yet and when the new 'old' medication kicks in Woman Wink perhaps you will be able to putz around in the garden in the summer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@luvsbulldogs   Great that you are able to continue taking the meds that help you, and so sorry that you are still sick.  I am glad to hear that you can do some gardening.  I know eventually, we will have to hire someone for the weeding, it wreaks havoc on my legs as because my knees aren't great, I stretch my left leg way out in order to reach the weeds, can't kneel down

The weather has been very nice, sunny, but not hot, so I am scurrying to get plants into larger pots and potting new plants, mostly hostas and fuchsias this year.  I still have to plant basil seeds which I will do today, tomatoes have flowers now, and orange bell pepper plants, bought a set of three at Costco, are growing.  I planted eggplant seeds, maybe too late, but if it stays hot, once the heat arrives, they may come to fruition, but if I go to the garden center, I will buy a plant just to be sure I get some this year, last year was terrible in the vege garden, except for basil, chili pepper, and strawberries.

This year, there are berries on the boysenberry plants so hoping they will ripen and be delicious.  These berries aren't sold in the markets, but for a short while, some years my produce market has them.  I asked the owner why there aren't more, and he told me that boysenberries are so fragile and ripen so quickly on the shelf, they have to be bought immediately or dissipate.

I do get raspberries, maybe six a day, not what I anticipated, but they are not planted in the best situation.  I recently bought two plants that are different, Raspberry shortcake, and these can be grown in large pots, so will see how they really do.

I am still weeding, this takes most of the year as there is a lot of ground/slopes covered, so everytime I go outside, I weed until my back screams, then move onto something else.

I bought many scented geranium plants, and quite a few pelargoniums, actually I think they all fall under the latter category, and boy have they grown, so am gradually getting them into larger pots, and whatever breaks off, I stick into a pot, so easy to propagate.

I am trying to propagate one particular lilac, it is the most gorgeous and prolific lilac I have, though I have many, and I don't remember the name of it, bought well over twenty years ago.  I am going to send a picture to the lilac company to see if they can identify it, I tried through googling.

Pretty soon, I will have to feed the roses, always wait until after the first Spring blooms, and after they die, I fertilize, quite a project as there are so many.  I go way overboard when buying plants, unfortunately.

The tiny birds that nest in the eve of my deck roof are back, and I hear the Mourning Doves so know they are trying to nest.

Yesterday, I heard and saw a huge crow in a cedar tree, and when it left, it flew over my head and I could hear the wings.

With so much in pots, if we had to move, I could take it all with me.  There is enough in the ground to pass for gardens, and usually, people redo landscaping.  I know I would have to plant grass in one area so if anyone with kids comes through, they can see a play area, I have no lawn now, just a winding path.

A gorgeous climbing rose that I planted about twenty-five or so years ago, died this year, heartbreaking.  In it's place, I will plant a large hydrangea with enormous white flower heads, all is white and green on the front walk, which I have in a pot in the garden, though it has grown through the pot into the ground, so will do this in the Fall.

I hope you feel better soon, awful to not feel well for so long.