Trusted Contributor

Re: Before I downsized from house to apartment

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Jamma

good luck with downsizing & move. I feel your pain (I went thru this 5 years ago🙀). I read a good tip in my HGTV mag re: wreaths

you can hang them on a plastic style hanger & cover with clear garbage bag & just hang in closet. I tried it - it works but now I only put a wreath on the door for Christmas since I had beautiful etched glass front door & don't want to cover it.

Thanks I wouldnb't cover the door either.

Jamma
@

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my area Monogramed Letters are very, very popular for wreaths,  with burlap, this is something you can use year round!

I have one in black for winter months, and white for summer months, but in an apartment you could use either one year round!burlap wreath monogram door wreath initial wreath, burlap monogram wreath, letter door hanger, wedding gift

Honored Contributor

@Jamma I understand how you feel.  It's been 13 years since my wonderful husband died suddenly.  It is very difficult to continue and move forward but we all do it (as you are doing it). Unfortunately we belong to a 'club' that no one wants to belong to but many people do.

I hope you have people in your life who 'look in on you' and keep you in their life because that's really important.  One thing you need to understand (maybe you do) but I've always been a believer that if you want help, you need to ask for it.  If you don't have friends who will call you and say, "Come on over" or "Hey!  How about getting together"?  Then I suggest you call some of your friends and suggest it, tell them how you feel.  Often people mean well, they just don't know what to say or how to handle it when someone dies.

If I'm overstepping (which I may be) I apologize.  Think of it this way.....we all here are only cyber friends and we care about you and your emotional health.  Think about those who know you and love you in life.  They really are there for you.  So, get a friend to go with you and get back into your crafts and make some things.  Go walk around Michaels and it will get you in the mood to make something.

I tell my friends I think places like Michael's and JoAnn Crafts beam into the air something that makes us feel like we want to make something, just anything!  Ha!  I can't tell you how often I get home with 'stuff' from Michaels and think to myself, "Why did I buy this and what was I going to do with this?"  Ha!

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing...Fondly, Annabelle

Honored Contributor

@Jamma

You can purchase blocks to elevate your bed.  I got some at I believe Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It enabled me to use the under bed storage.  

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Unfortunately all my good friends live in other states.  The one friend close by and neighbor shied away since DH passed.

My daughter lives 25 minutes away.. She teaches in a Catholic school and has to supplement her .salary by tutoring.  She is busy and is there for me any time I need her

Naturally being a Mom I don't want to intrude on her free time more than necessary.  We do get together at  least once a week without fail.,  She calls each day.

I bless my one dear friend  who lives 7 hrs away and e-mails me morning and night and calls almost every day when able.

Don't like apartment living but if I  still had  my home that was 1 1/2 hrs from away my daughter.  So I'd rather be closer to her.

Jamma

Trusted Contributor

@Hooty

Like the wreath----love the pooch.

Jamma

Honored Contributor

Ive seen such wreaths on Etsy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I understand what you are saying about apartment living.  If I was younger I'd build me another house, but at 70 I don't have time and there are very few one level small houses where I live.  My oldest daughter has 4 children in 4 different schools so she stays busy.  Yesterday I had a nice visit with her.  She called the night before and asked if I'd like to have lunch with her and my youngest grandson (4).  He and I are buddies and sometimes he asks for me.  I always laugh and say, "He sees me as a walking talking french fry" because I always bring him the McDonald's happy meal.. I'm very close to this daughter's children (14, 13 and 9 also) because I see them so often and we go on "trips", just us to the bookstore, shoe store, etc.   It's fun when we sit in the car after ordering fast food and they talk about everything (no iphones, no music, just us talking and talking).  

@JammaThey've taught me so much and I like to think I've taught them some things.  They are very intelligent and are in gifted programs at school so we have some 'lively' conversations.

This same daughter handles all of mine and my husbands's business accounts so we get together for that too.  Periodically, they come over and her husband does the electronic and heavy labor things I do.

I mention all of this because there might be someone in your life that maybe you aren't even thinking about who would like to help you.  If you belong to church (if you don't you might think of joining one or a woman's group).  There are so many people like both of us who are widows and are downsizing, etc.  

Right now I'm dealing with the process of getting new knees and I've had terrible back pain for years.  It's gotten to the point where I can hardly walk anymore.  I get invited out but I often have to decline due the pain.  (I'm working on that).  Ha!

I wish you lived near me.  I'd hobble over there, put you in my car and we'd go off in what my grandkids call our 'journeys'.  We laugh and say we know where we're going we just go a different way every time...(Life is a journey in itself).

I don't know yet where I'll end up living.  I don't like the idea of living in a condo (which to me is an apartment).  I guess I'm lucky because I can afford to live anywhere in anything I want.  But it doesn't matter because I'm still limited on where I can live due to my physical health and age, so it isn't any different...right?

Take care of yourself.  I'll be praying that you find a way to make your life more fulfilling.  You might talk to your daughter and maybe you could just come over and visit some for a quick lunch, etc (like I do).

Unfortunately we (and many like us) are in a time of our lives where we have ourselves mainly to count on.  Your daughter and my 3 daughters and sons-in-law all love us, but they have their lives (which is what we want, right).  So, it's up to us to take hold of our lives.  

You take care, you sweet lady and please let us know what you decide to do about the wreaths.  I'm sorry I got off topic (I am terrible that way).  I just sensed that maybe you could use a friend so you knew you weren't alone in what you are dealing with.  There are plenty of us here who are in the same boat.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda

Honored Contributor

@Hooty That wreath is beautiful.  I love it.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66...very nice post.

You are very blessed to have such a loving family....My DH is about 14+ years older then me..YIKES....the age difference never mattered to me or him for that matter and it has only been in the last year or so that  I have thought about being 'alone' if you know what I mean.  His health is very good for his age, we are self employed and he works a full day every day. 

We do not have children (he has a couple from previous marriage)....I  have always gotten along with the kids but not sure how things would play out in a different circumstance.  I hope that I have your attitude when or if the need arises!