Trusted Contributor

Re: Before I downsized from house to apartment

@Annabellethecat66

Thanks so much for your kind words.  I agree.

You and I would get along great if we lived close.

Jamma/Joyce

Honored Contributor

@Jamma

I have to say, I'm not particularly fond of the pre made wreath (sets) that are designed to change for the seasons. To me, the ones that I've seen, are kind of cheap looking.

I'd offer two suggestions. 

You could find one really nice wreath that is suitable for all seasons and just leave it, If it gets worn/faded, you can simply replace it and that would be a nice change every year or couple of years, depending on how long it takes to age. 

Or buy just two, one 'regular' wreath, and one with fall colors. The fall one can go up on Sept 1st and if chosen well, may last through Christmas/winter (think beaded fruit type wreath for this). The second one can be more spring/summer appropriate.

Using the first option, you will not store a wreath or the 'change' items, simply replace the wreath every year or two.

Using the second option, you will only have to store one wreath, as the other will be on the door.

Honored Contributor

I believe that a Eucalyptus wreath (made with different types of Eucalyptus) and some other mixed greens would serve your purpose.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Maybe you could try something like a boxwood and just change up the bow and add-ons to your liking. If you look around you can find faux boxwood that is good quality, they don't all look so great.

I would definitely look on Etsy, some high quality items there. Not inexpensive, but you are paying for handmade and it's worth it. If you use it year round it's value for the money anyway.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all for your suggestions----I shall look into them all.

Jamma

Honored Contributor

@Jamma

Collections Etc. has this item-

Now you can enjoy a festive welcome for every season! Wooden welcome sign comes with 9 brightly-colored and charmingly detailed, interchangeable plaques for every holiday and season. Welcome sign includes chain for easy hanging and seasonal accent plaques hang from hook on bottom of sign. Plaques include designs for the 4 seasons: Spring Watering Can, Summer Beach Scene, Autumn Leaves and Winter Snow Scene, as well as designs for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Fourth of July, Halloween and Christmas. Welcome sign: 11 1/2"L x 4 1/4"H. Each design is approx. 4 1/2"L x 4"H.

Honored Contributor

@Jamma

Not a wreath, but I thought it was a cute idea...

Interchangeable Home Letters. Over 55 different inserts for the letter "O". Swap it out for each holiday/season. So Cute!! Get your craft on :):

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I understand what you are saying about apartment living.  If I was younger I'd build me another house, but at 70 I don't have time and there are very few one level small houses where I live.  My oldest daughter has 4 children in 4 different schools so she stays busy.  Yesterday I had a nice visit with her.  She called the night before and asked if I'd like to have lunch with her and my youngest grandson (4).  He and I are buddies and sometimes he asks for me.  I always laugh and say, "He sees me as a walking talking french fry" because I always bring him the McDonald's happy meal.. I'm very close to this daughter's children (14, 13 and 9 also) because I see them so often and we go on "trips", just us to the bookstore, shoe store, etc.   It's fun when we sit in the car after ordering fast food and they talk about everything (no iphones, no music, just us talking and talking).  

@JammaThey've taught me so much and I like to think I've taught them some things.  They are very intelligent and are in gifted programs at school so we have some 'lively' conversations.

This same daughter handles all of mine and my husbands's business accounts so we get together for that too.  Periodically, they come over and her husband does the electronic and heavy labor things I do.

I mention all of this because there might be someone in your life that maybe you aren't even thinking about who would like to help you.  If you belong to church (if you don't you might think of joining one or a woman's group).  There are so many people like both of us who are widows and are downsizing, etc.  

Right now I'm dealing with the process of getting new knees and I've had terrible back pain for years.  It's gotten to the point where I can hardly walk anymore.  I get invited out but I often have to decline due the pain.  (I'm working on that).  Ha!

I wish you lived near me.  I'd hobble over there, put you in my car and we'd go off in what my grandkids call our 'journeys'.  We laugh and say we know where we're going we just go a different way every time...(Life is a journey in itself).

I don't know yet where I'll end up living.  I don't like the idea of living in a condo (which to me is an apartment).  I guess I'm lucky because I can afford to live anywhere in anything I want.  But it doesn't matter because I'm still limited on where I can live due to my physical health and age, so it isn't any different...right?

Take care of yourself.  I'll be praying that you find a way to make your life more fulfilling.  You might talk to your daughter and maybe you could just come over and visit some for a quick lunch, etc (like I do).

Unfortunately we (and many like us) are in a time of our lives where we have ourselves mainly to count on.  Your daughter and my 3 daughters and sons-in-law all love us, but they have their lives (which is what we want, right).  So, it's up to us to take hold of our lives.  

You take care, you sweet lady and please let us know what you decide to do about the wreaths.  I'm sorry I got off topic (I am terrible that way).  I just sensed that maybe you could use a friend so you knew you weren't alone in what you are dealing with.  There are plenty of us here who are in the same boat.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda

I'm single now too Annabelle/Linda and at 65 I'm frequently tired (diabetes) and it gets old. I live in an apt now and appreciate it as my big house became a nightmare to take care of. I have 3 grown boys and long to be a grandmother..someday! xoxo

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono

Thanks for the suggestion---You all have given me much to to consider.

Jamma