Honored Contributor

Be on the lookout for phony texts from banks

Yesterday, a text came in on my husband’s cell. It was supposedly sent regarding his account at Wells Fargo. We don’t have an account with them. Of course the text had a link to some person. We closed and deleted it. The text looked very realistic. Some people do have bank alerts, overdraft alerts. All kinds of programs are now using texts to confirm transactions. Be careful if you get a text. Call the bank to confirm the text’s validity and don’t click on anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Be on the lookout for phony texts from banks

These scammers are getting more clever every day.....

Esteemed Contributor

I get them all the time, warnings about my bank account, my Apple ID, my Paypal account (don't even have a Paypal account) and a few others. All in my hotmail e-mail. My bank doesn't even have my hotmail addy. My main e-mail account hardly ever gets any phony e-mails, maybe twice a year but hotmail forget it. And so much of it gets into my in-box at hotmail instead of going directly into my junk folder. It seems every other week I'm forwarding phony e-mails to Bank of America's abuse e-mail address. Millions and millions, probably billions by now of dollars that I've won in lotteries all over the world are laying unclaimed by me.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D - I get emails from Wells Fargo all the time. Funny, I have never had an account with them but the emails keep coming. Never open, hit delete.

Honored Contributor

I am getting these. My bank don't even have that phone number. Deleted those texts.

Super Contributor

I get emails all the time from all these different banks saying the same thing.  However, they automatically go into my spam folder for automatic deletion.  I didn't know I had so many bank accounts out there.  I must be rich and don't know it.  lol

Honored Contributor

Why bother calling the bank if you don't even have an account there.  Just delete it and move on.  I get weird texts late, weird ones.  Honestly, they are no more than a mild nuisance.  I just delete the text and block the number.  It's the world we live in.  There's no point in getting all worked over this stuff.  The one that tells me my student loan is ready for pick up is my favorite...lol   

Honored Contributor

I get them all the time... bank spoofs... paypal spoofs... Amazon spoofs.... ipad spoofs.... I just delete them with out even looking at what they say.  It is always obvious that they are a scam. Just look at the email where they come from... it is always some long ridiculous email.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a fake email going around offering a free gift card from one credit  card company. 

I wish the credit card card companies could shut them down but I'm not sure they do anything.

Honored Contributor

There are so many reasons for which I don't give out my cell phone number!  

I have gotten spam texts a while back, though, and that was beyond annoying.   Since then I have my phone set to where  the only people who get through are in my contacts.    Ridiculous that I had to do that, but enough already.