Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

I don't feel I owe her an apology at all. I know she is ok, since she has posted on FB, & her husband would have contacted me, if anything was wrong with her. Her 2nd response was to a text I had sent her earlier in the day (much earlier, lol). 

I guess I just needed someone to rant to (reason for my post here, lol). Although, I truly believe she owes me an apology! Tks ladies for listening. 

@TX-starlight She may seem to be okay but you really don't know for sure.   Maybe she is struggling with something.

I can put on a very good front or mask when I need to.  There are days that are much worse than others and I find that this second year of the pandemic to be much more emotionally stressful for me ....yet I have a pretty good life in all outward appearances.....

Trusted Contributor

I think you're over the friendship.

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight My thought it's on you.  You responded.  You didn't have to be looking at your phone and texting.  That's YOUR choice not hers.  

Respected Contributor

I think if I expected an apology from everyone I felt slighted by then I'd be living a very lonely life. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't have answered.

Since you did answer, you "opened the door".  I would call her and tell her "you miss her friendship and hope you didn't hurt her feelings" if your friendship is important.

Super Contributor

I think the OP received some really thoughtful responses to her issue with her "middle of the night" texting friend. This forum is great for sharing so many things! Although some responses were a little pointed, I suppose that comes with the territory. I hope "Baffled by friend" continues this friendship of many years. Friends that have been around that long are worth keeping!

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight 

My close friends know if they really need me they can call anytime.  It’s mutual.  

Please don’t lose a friendship, even if it is a minimal one over something as small as this.

Maybe she was frightened or worried about something.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

You indicated that your friend knows you are up late at night. Maybe, she felt comfortable texting you late because you are awake. I don't understand why you are baffled. She did nothing wrong and thought you were a good friend. I think you should text her and find out how she is. Don't be a curmudgeon.

Honored Contributor

I think there is more to this than a text for no reason in the middle of the night.  At least that's what I'd think..... And I agree that a friendship of that length of time deserves whatever you can do to figure out what's going on and help her if she needs it. 

A dear friend of mine started her Dementia and I had a hard time understanding that she eventually no longer could use a computer or her beloved camaras (she was a photography teacher)..... until her diagnosis she seemed ok (so did her husband and kids).

Good luck, I wish you and your friend well.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

My son & I have texted eachother in the middle of the night. We usually don't see eachothers texts until the morning. We put our phones to sleep by 11:00pm.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you get a text & feel it's to late to respond just ignore it until morning. You can also turn your phone off or silence it if you don't want to hear it.

I would not ruin a lifetime friendship over this. I think you need to contact her & make it right.