Respected Contributor

Re: Back Fence (Sept. 2019) Autumn's around the Corner

Great weather here at my part of the fence.It is supposed to get to 70 today.It"s 68 now with some wind. It rained most of the evening and night.The leaves are falling,it looks so neat when the wind blows.The leaves are barely starting to turn.I left some donuts and cider for all who visit.Have a happy Autumn!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the cider and donuts @hellie jo   It's a bit humid and windy outside by me and I can see the tops of trees in the neighborhood starting to turn.  

Related image

I'm leaving a bag of Brach's candy corn which is a staple in my house at this time of year.  I need to get the autumn mix which includes pumpkins and indian corn.

Image result for brach's candy corn

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama + all

Okay, now that the weather is turning cooler, Mallomars are available, so I'm bringing them today. I have to order some soon!! I learned about them when I lived in New Jersey. Oh, the things we learn!

Mallomars Pure Chocolate Cookies 8 ounce box (Pack of 3)

Better than any Pinwheels you can find...

Birdmama, can I ask you to tell me what you are doing with your glasses again? Didn't you try progressives and didn't like them? And you switch out two pairs of glasses now...one for distance and one for reading? What about the computer...distance glasses? I am having big trouble getting a new pair of progressives made and am thinking of trying something different. Thanks in advance for your help! 

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily   I tried progressive lenses two times.  Both times were utter failures, the second time resulting in me nearly killing myself on a flight of stairs.

My ophthalmologist finally admitted that there are people for whom progressive lenses don't work. 

I use two pair of eyeglasses.

One pair for distance with bi-focal.

One pair for computer with bi-focal.

The bi-focal is the reading part.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama Thanks! Woman Happy I'm going to try on a new pair of progressives soon that were just made with a new prescription (have to get up my courage, I picked them up yesterday). If they don't work, I will bring up your idea to my doctor and see what she thinks! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love my local Discount Tire Heart 

I think I mentioned that last Friday (9-20) my idiot light came on to let me know my right front tire was getting low on air (24 PSI, should be around 34 PSI).  Discount tire added some air and I've been monitoring just how slow this leak is on the tire.  Between Friday and Tuesday, I lost 5 lbs of air pressure.

I decided to drop the car off this morning and just walk home.  I'm about 1.5 miles from Discount Tire so when my tire tech (also the manager) told me that it would be about 60-90 minutes I said, no worries, I'll walk home since it's a beautiful day for it.  I was home in about 20-25 minutes. 

It was a leisurely kind of walk and I thought wow, my thighs feel kinda tight, hahaha. 

Imagine my surprise when I wasn't home 5 minutes and received a text that my car was ready.  I called them directly and said, are you kidding me?  I just got home Woman Surprised

I filled up a travel mug of coffee, put my baseball cap and jean jacket back on and started walkin'.  That was alot of walkin for me in an hour.

They found a scr*w in the tire, plugged the tire, rotated the tires, balanced the tires, rebuilt the bad tire valve stem and I think they checked my spare (I need to look in the trunk to check).

No charge.  I've been going to that franchise of Discount Tire for almost 20 years and have bought alot of rubber from them over the years.  They know how to take care of their customers. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@EdithEllenLily   I tried progressive lenses two times.  Both times were utter failures, the second time resulting in me nearly killing myself on a flight of stairs.

My ophthalmologist finally admitted that there are people for whom progressive lenses don't work. 

@Bird mama 

@EdithEllenLily 

And I’m another one for whom they don’t work.  (My husband couldn’t wear them either, but my sister loves them.)  I tried them and was sick to my stomach the entire time I had them on.  Never even gave another thought to ever trying again.

I’m nearsighted.  Up until I hit about 60, I didn’t need anything for reading, I just took my glasses off and could see fine.  Not anymore. ☺️  I have regular lined bifocals—both distance and reading.  For midrange (computer work or anything out to about arm length) I don’t need anything and continue to just take my glasses off.

I also tried the traditional lined trifocals which didn’t make me sick, but I found that the distance lens became too narrow for my liking.  

Good luck finding what works for you, @EdithEllenLily .  🤞

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   I have traditional bi-focals and that has driven eye doctors (in the past) crazy.  I don't worry about vanity, I worry about being able to see.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama Yay!! Discount Tire took care of you once again!! I'm glad Camille's feet are all fixed up. And what about yours with all of the walking? Woman Wink Great exercise though!

I'm going to check prices at Discount Tire for my new tires. My family has had excellent service with them, too. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bird mama 

@EdithEllenLily 

And I’m another one for whom they don’t work.  (My husband couldn’t wear them either, but my sister loves them.)  I tried them and was sick to my stomach the entire time I had them on.  Never even gave another thought to ever trying again.

I’m nearsighted.  Up until I hit about 60, I didn’t need anything for reading, I just took my glasses off and could see fine.  Not anymore. ☺️  I have regular lined bifocals—both distance and reading.  For midrange (computer work or anything out to about arm length) I don’t need anything and continue to just take my glasses off.

I also tried the traditional lined trifocals which didn’t make me sick, but I found that the distance lens became too narrow for my liking.  

Good luck finding what works for you, @EdithEllenLily .  🤞

@geezerette Thank you! And thanks for telling me what works for you!! I am going to try wearing my new progressive glasses on Friday when I can stay home all day. We'll see what happens! Hoping I can see! If not, you and @Bird mama have given me some ideas to pursue at the eye doctor. 

Thanks again!! Woman Happy